2021 Obituary

Jeff

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Steven P Allen said:

I don't see a mention of Walter Mondale yet (4/19).

The man that managed a record: The worst electoral college defeat for any Democratic Party candidate in history: 13 to 525

I read an obit of Mondale which claimed that Mondale quickly concluded that Jimmy Carter was kind of an idiot.

John Tiller, wargaming legend, 1953-2021.

John Albert Tiller passed away April 26 at his home in Suwanee Georgia, after a brief but courageous battle with brain cancer, surrounded by his loving family.

John received his undergraduate degree from Hendrix College, and his PhD in Mathematics from McMaster University in 1980. John’s lifelong interest in military history and strategic board games inspired him to create John Tiller Software in 1996. He was a developer of history-based computer games, and simulations used in military training and artificial intelligence.

17 hours ago, Ssnake said:

John Tiller, wargaming legend, 1953-2021.

John Albert Tiller passed away April 26 at his home in Suwanee Georgia, after a brief but courageous battle with brain cancer, surrounded by his loving family.

John received his undergraduate degree from Hendrix College, and his PhD in Mathematics from McMaster University in 1980. John’s lifelong interest in military history and strategic board games inspired him to create John Tiller Software in 1996. He was a developer of history-based computer games, and simulations used in military training and artificial intelligence.

Beat me to it.

God how many hours have I spent playing Fulda Gap 85.  I still play his games, almost 20 years later.

Rest well.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/tawny-kitaen-dead-whitesnake-video-bachelor-party-1234969193/

Julie E. “Tawny” Kitaen, who famously appeared in several music videos for the rock group Whitesnake in the ‘80s, has died. The Orange County, Calif. coroner’s office, which listed her as Tawny Finley, stated that she died at her home in Newport Beach on Friday morning, but a cause of death has not been revealed. She was 59.

Born in San Diego. California, Kitaen’s first introduction to the rock world came in 1983 when she appeared on the cover of back-to-back albums by heavy metal band RATT, including the band’s self-titled 1983 debut and the triple-platinum “Out of the Cellar, in 1984. Kitaen was dating RATT guitarist Robbin Crosby at the time.

Kitaen appeared in RATT’s “Back for More” music video and later became the video vixen best known for her appearance in Whitesnake’s 1987 smash “Here I Go Again,” where she displayed her talent for auto acrobatics. “Still of the Night,” “Is This Love” and “The Deeper the Love” also featured Kitaen, who was briefly married to Whitesnake’s lead singer, David Coverdale, from 1989 to 1991.

She went to my high school for a year, and was in one of my classes for a semester IIRC. In high school she looked essentially identical to how she looked in the Whitesnake video, and had the whole glam thing going on already, yet had few friends. Rather offputting personality at the time.

The above article doesn't mention that she was arrested for domestic violence when she was married to Chuck Finley. IIRC it resulted in a divorce and loss of custody of the kids. World class looks don't guarantee a happy life.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The inventor of the adhesive used on one of 3M's best-known products, the Post-it Note, has died, according to the company and his published obituary. 

Spencer Silver was 80 and died May 8 at his home, the family's obituary said.

Silver was working in a company lab in 1968 when he discovered a unique adhesive formula, according to 3M. 

Technically, the discoverey was that a weak adhesive could be monetized too in the right product. But he was actually tasked to find the next superglue. ;)

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Technically, the discoverey was that a weak adhesive could be monetized too in the right product. But he was actually tasked to find the next superglue. ;)

Reminds me of what a comedian said about Silly Putty and how it was supposed to be an explosive:

Scientist: No it doesn't blow anything up. But look what it does to Hitler's face!  *makes stretching motion*

• 3 weeks later...

James D. Hornfischer, author of The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and Neptune's Inferno, among other titles.  November 18, 1965 - June 2, 2021

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/austin-tx/james-hornfischer-10217895

Douglas

Edited by Ol Paint
Edited for italics.

It is unfortunate that most will remember him for squealing like a pig in a movie otherwise mostly remembered for a rendition of Dueling Banjos.  Ned Beatty was a terrific character actor, who by the way, insisted that the squeal be part of his scene in Deliverance.  He'll be greatly missed by this member of this Grate Sight.

R.I.P., Ned.

1937-2021

Edited by DKTanker

7 hours ago, R011 said:

I liked him as Luthor's henchman Otis in Superman and his dramatic stuff was pretty good too.

He had a number of serious papers which he pulled very creditably indeed.

He had a small role (one scene, really) in Network as the corporate boss Mr Jensen.  But it is a great scene and he nailed it.

I also did quite like his beleaguered houseowner in 1941 who gets a turn at the AA gun.

RIP.

--
Soren