2021 Obituary

Jeff

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/zz-top-bassist-dusty-hill-dead-72/PBDWJOBM7BBRLE32NVKDULKI3M/

HOUSTON — Joseph “Dusty” Hill, bassist for rockers ZZ Top for more than five decades, has died, the group’s representative confirmed to Variety on Wednesday afternoon.

A cause of death has not been released. Hill was 72.

6 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

On Walton and Johnson, they talked about his ordeal with Ed Sullivan. 

They don't run W&J here any more. I enjoy Ken's shtick as much or more than Walton's.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Cartoonist Martin Perscheid, 55, Germany's more sinister answer to Gary Larson, died of cancer today.

11a398bfc0a87f37e1715fc784a83490.jpg

More sinister?!

But this guy's art REALLY looks like Larson, alright.

1 hour ago, BansheeOne said:

Sorry, no, I just thought it fit the cartoon. Though apropos of the Perscheid-Larson comparison, I found that song because I remembered a very similar one by Austrian cabarettist Georg Kreisler. It seems unclear which came first.

I hoped that was the case - and that we haven't jinxed him.

9 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

I found that song because I remembered a very similar one by Austrian cabarettist Georg Kreisler. It seems unclear which came first.

While Kreisler refuted the accusation of plagiarism, it's neither the only case, nor did his refusal sound very convincing ("maybe coincidence, maybe an intermediary heard it and passed it on to Lehrer"), and I think we can definitely rule out coincidence.

I like Kreisler, but I think he stole two songs from Lehrer.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, Stargrunt6 said:

On Walton and Johnson, they talked about his ordeal with Ed Sullivan. 

I grew up on W&J.  I can't stand morning drive time radio for the most part.  But they are a huge exception.

Walton's son has taken over since he passed.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9873587/Markie-Post-passes-away-age-70-nearly-four-year-battle-cancer.html

Markie Post, 70.

In the 1980s and 1990s, I considered her to be one of the most beautiful women in show biz.

38 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9873587/Markie-Post-passes-away-age-70-nearly-four-year-battle-cancer.html

Markie Post, 70.

In the 1980s and 1990s, I considered her to be one of the most beautiful women in show biz.

She was fine indeed. And Night Court was a flawless sitcom.

Bobby Bowden, age 91. 

Trevor Moore, 41 years old, of "Whitest Kids U Know" fame.  Damn good sketch comedy there. 

Tarcísio Meira major Brazilian telenovela actor, 85,  by Covid. He was fully vaccinated in March along his wife actress  Glória Menezes 86. Both were hospitalized weeks ago . She remain under Hospital support but expected to recover.

Bayern Munich & Germany legend Gerd Muller dies aged 75 (msn.com)

"Muller made history with Bayern and the Germany national team. He scored an incredible 566 goals in 607 competitive appearances for Bayern and still holds the record for the most goals scored in the Bundesliga with 365, as well as being top scorer seven times. He got 68 goals in 62 caps for the national team."

RIP. 

The Bayern München team around the early-mid 70s with Müller, Beckenbauer, Maier, Hoeneß, Breitner et al was just a great team to follow.  Müller was pretty much the definition of the archetypical striker for me. His image is still what automatically comes to mind the moment anyone mentions that word.

--
Soren

Edited by Soren Ras

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died at the age of eighty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

From his Wikipedia article:

"One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Never call me your drummer again."[30] He expressed regret for the incident in 2003, attributing his behaviour to alcohol.[14]"