Archaeological News

Corinthian

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/24/2021 at 5:20 PM, TonyE said:

According to the sagas they made seasonal visits, sometimes staying during winter until traveling back to Greenland in the spring.

Prevailing winds with their style of sailing rig would help dictate this.

The sailing route of the Brendan Voyage in the medieval era and the reproduction of the route from Ireland to the Fareos, to Iceland to Greenland and then to North America would replicate that. Apparently from New Foundland the wind will, at a certain time of year blow directly back to Ireland. 

43 minutes ago, DB said:

Shiny new mosaic found in Rutland by farmer with an eye for pottery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-59391650.amp

Every time I see a story or video of Roman-/post-Roman Britain, I end up visualizing a BBC-ified concept of a quaint farming village with the benefits of Roman culture without all the wars, traffic, crime, and corruption.

Hopelessly naive, of course.

You mean Midsomer without the murders.

It's not far off that in some places. The most desperate feud in my birthplace seems to have been who got to choose the flowers for the church, which is rather more Miss Marple, I suppose.

i´ve read that actually roman empire significantly lowered life quality/expectancy in many places, iirc celts in britain lost a lot in height due to many illnesses that the first intercontinental empire brought. material culture of course went up. 

5 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

Every time I see a story or video of Roman-/post-Roman Britain, I end up visualizing a BBC-ified concept of a quaint farming village with the benefits of Roman culture without all the wars, traffic, crime, and corruption.

Hopelessly naive, of course.

But no sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health....

4 hours ago, rmgill said:

But no sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health....

But aside from sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

23 hours ago, DB said:

You mean Midsomer without the murders.

Equivalent to saying Sahara Desert without the heat and relentless sun.

If you check for articles on "beautiful British Villages", you'll find lots of articles, each claiming that a completely different set of 10-20 villages is the most beautiful.

I live in one of these villages. This is just a random list from one county.

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/homes-and-gardens/places-to-live/villages-in-hertfordshire-10-pretty-places-to-visit-7179788

1 hour ago, DB said:

If you check for articles on "beautiful British Villages", you'll find lots of articles, each claiming that a completely different set of 10-20 villages is the most beautiful.

I live in one of these villages. This is just a random list from one county.

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/homes-and-gardens/places-to-live/villages-in-hertfordshire-10-pretty-places-to-visit-7179788

Village of the Year is serious business, not to be risked by drunken teens, bad theatre, shoddy journalism, and living statues.  The Greater Good!

1 minute ago, Rick said:

https://www.treeoftheyear.org/Stromy/The-Judas-Tree-on-the-Church-Hill-of-Melykut-(Hung

This spring-blooming tree is called the Redbud in the U.S. A common tree in my area.

Great Eastern Red Bud? Self propagates rather nicely. I have several that have come up and I've encouraged on my 1/3 acre plot. 

Just now, rmgill said:

Great Eastern Red Bud? Self propagates rather nicely. I have several that have come up and I've encouraged on my 1/3 acre plot. 

Yes, that's the name. Easy to grow; just plant, water, and forget. 

• 3 weeks later...

One additional data point supporting the notion that orthodox medicine may be responsible for as many deaths as saved lives. Ignaz Semmelweis maybe the the most prominent witness, but here's another shining example against the army of darkness, often led by "well-meaning" individuals whose hybris results in catastrophe.

• 2 months later...

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/roman-mosaic-london-discovery-scli-scn-intl-gbr/index.html

A large area of well-preserved Roman mosaic -- parts of it approximately 1,800 years old -- has been uncovered in London near one of the city's most popular landmarks.

The mosaic is thought to have adorned the floors of a Roman dining room, and the spot where it stands is near the Shard -- the capital's tallest building, close to London Bridge.