Iron Swords vs. Al-Aqsa Deluge - Israel/Palestinians (again)

BansheeOne

Probably warrants its own topic here vs. the "Because, Israel" thread in the FFZ. Maybe just another regular round in the eternal Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but current events seem rather ambitious from the Palestinian side. Claims of 2,000-5,000 rockets fired from the Gaza Strip at targets as far as Tel-Aviv in the north and Yeruham near Dimona in the east, compounded by infiltrations, including by sea and air. Allegedly they captured an IDF base at Kerim-Shalom near the Egyptian border; at least there are images of Palestinians celebrating around a burning Merkava, with several Israeli soldiers claimed killed and up to 35 captured. At least one civilian killed by rockets near Gedera, more dead reported elsewhere.

Israel has declared a state of war and is mobilizing reservists, calling upon residents in an 80 kilometer zone along the Gaza strip not to leave their houses; IAF bombing targets in the Strip. This comes on the 50th anniversary of the start of the Yom Kippur War; for Israel, it's also the holiday of Simchat Torah and, of course, sabbath. Most likely the Palestinian side is also trying to take advantage of Israel's current domestic crisis. It will be interesting to see if the threats by IDF reservists not to mobilize due to the government's judicial reform plans will hold up in the face of such attacks. For the government it's of course an opportunity to unite the nations behind themselves against an external enemy, and marginalize the opposition against their plans.

Gaza terrorists launch surprise attack on Israel with rocket barrages and infiltrations

2,200 rockets fired, including at Tel Aviv, Dimona, Jerusalem; gunmen infiltrate Sderot; at least 6 killed, 300 wounded; IDF declares ‘state of war readiness,’ calls up reserves

By Emanuel Fabian Today, 6:46 am

Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip launched massive rocket barrages at southern and central Israel on Saturday morning, combined with an assault by dozens of gunmen who infiltrated the border town of Sderot and other communities, clashing with Israel Defense Force troops. At least six people were killed and nearly 300 wounded, and casualties were reported from Sderot.

The unprecedented surprise attack by terrorists in the Gaza Strip started at around  6:30 a.m. and Israelis celebrated the last day of the weeklong Sukkot festival with hundreds of rockets fired at Israel. It came a day after Israel and the Arab world marked the 50th anniversary of the surprise attack by Egypt and Syria that launched the Yom Kippur War.

This attack too appeared to catch Israel completely by surprise. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the country was “at war.”

“Citizens of Israel, we are at war,” he said. “And we will win.”

“The enemy will pay a price like they have never known before,” he said, in his first public statement on the matter, some five hours since the start of the assault by the Gaza-based terror group.

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant rushed to Tel Aviv to consult with security chiefs. Netanyahu also took part. The IDF said it was moving to a “state of war readiness” and Gallant authorized a widespread call-up of reserves.

Gallant also declared an emergency situation within a range of 80 kilometers from the Gaza Strip.

The “special situation” allows the military’s Home Front Command to restrict gatherings and close off areas. The area includes the major cities Tel Aviv and Beersheba.

[...]

Later, IDF Spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari told reporters that more than 2,200 rockets fired into Israel since 6:30 a.m. and that the IDF had launched operation “Iron Swords” in response to Hamas’s surprise attack on Israel.

The Hamas terrorists infiltrated from land, sea and air. There were at least seven sites of fighting between Hamas terrorists and IDF troops, and battles were ongoing.

The IDF would not comment yet on reports that soldiers or civilians were kidnapped.

The Red Alert warning sirens were activated in Tel Aviv, some 70 kilometers from the Gaza Strip, as well as Sde Boker, Arad and Dimona in the south, also more than 70 kilometers away. Later rockets were fired toward Jerusalem.

Explosions were heard by residents across these areas and direct hits on buildings were reported in Ashkelon, the Gederot region and Tel Aviv.

Footage has shown armed Palestinians driving trucks and opening fire in Sderot. Another clip purported to show a hand glider near the Gaza border.

A number of casualties have been reported. It is unclear how many terrorists infiltrated into the country.

Unverified footage from the Gaza Strip purported to show Hamas terrorists with the body of an IDF soldier taken from Israel during the attack.

The graphic videos showed the body being taken out of a truck, as a crowd swarms around it, trampling the body and shouting “God is Great.” Another video appeared to show Palestinian terrorists dragging away a live Israeli soldier on a motorcycle.

Other videos showed a crowd of Palestinian men dancing around and atop an Israeli tank that was on fire, and some clips purported to show Israeli civilians captured by the terror group.

The authenticity of the videos could not immediately be verified.

A resident of Kibbutz Be’eri said that terrorists are on the streets of the small town near the Gaza border.

Dvir Efrat told Channel 12 that she does not dare raise her voice above a whisper and that she is barricaded in her home with a knife.

“I can hear gunfire,” she said.

The Magen David Adom ambulance service said a woman in her sixties had been  killed in the rocket attacks on southern and central Israel.

[...]

The Israeli military called on residents of southern and central Israel to remain close to bomb shelters amid the massive barrage.

“The public in the south and center of the country are urged to stay near protected areas and follow the instructions of the Home Front Command,” the IDF said in an announcement early Saturday.

In one video from Ashkelon circulating on social media, large black plumes of smoke from fires can be seen from a suspected impact site.

Hamas said it had launched 5,000 rockets at Israel in an early morning surprise attack it called “Operation Al-Aqsa Deluge.”

Mohammad Deif, the shadowy Hamas military commander, issued a statement saying that the ongoing attacks are in retaliation for Israel’s “desecration” of the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem.

He added that Israel killed and wounded hundreds of Palestinians this year, and that Israel rejected offers for prisoner exchange deals.

Over 5,000 missiles were fired, Deif claimed.

“Today, the people are bringing back the revolution and reviving the March of Return,” he said.

He urged Arabs in Jerusalem and inside Israel, in the Negev, the Galilee and northern Israel to “set the earth on fire under the feet of the occupiers.”

He further called on the “Islamic resistance in Lebanon, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon” — countries with terror movements that are militarily supported by Iran — to “merge their resistance with that of the Palestinians today,” and “start marching towards Palestine now.”

Saleh al-Arouri, deputy head of Hamas who is considered to be its leader in the West Bank, issued a statement along the same lines, calling on the Arab and Islamic nations to join “Operation al-Aqsa Deluge.”

[...]

https://www.timesofisrael.com/incoming-rocket-sirens-sound-across-southern-central-israel/

PALESTINIAN-ISRAEL-CONFLICT-GAZA.jpg

67026045_1004.webp

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

🔮 ... I'm seeing signs of yet another new Israeli government. And it's even more uncompromising towards the Palestinians then the current one. 

Seem Ike the communities near the border are lacking the means for self protection. Also no defensive minefields or at least an anti vehicle ditch? 

Edited by Markus Becker

Take on situation from ;pro-Russians:

"I remember.

I remember from the books about "rise up or kill first" how Israel carried out the liquidation of the Palestinians.

I remember how the artillery of the Israelis worked on us in the south of Syria, covering the "democratic bearded men" fighting against the "despotic secular power of the SAR."

I remember the words of comparing my Country with my fellow citizens with "double loyalty" in a derogatory form with Israel.

I remember the flirting of the powerful Jews with Bandera in Ukraine, for the "benefit of the moment."

I am in f* surprise that the IDF did not get the idea that "the bomblets from drones will burn the Merkava", and not just the T-90...

I expect from our citizens of the Russian Federation there that they will take weapons (which civilians have) and protect women, children, the elderly, since the authorities have shat themselves.

Condolences to civilians, shame on the swaggering big brass of Israel. Assholes." ( https://t.me/FilatovCorr/1884 )

"If the Palestinians were able to prepare detachments of drone operators at least remotely resembling the detachments of the two strongest armies in this component of the world, if anyone did not understand, then this is Russia and Ukraine, and these detachments received a sufficient number of FPV drones, then now we will see dozens of burned pieces of equipment of the IDF." (https://t.me/vysokygovorit/13047 )

"When SVO began, many were shocked by our <poor> preparation  of the operation. They say no one expected that the 2nd army of the world could be so stalled.
So that someone does not say the miscalculation was obvious. Although, after a year and a half, the situation began to change. Yes, there were miscalculations, but we have corrected them, and we continue to do so. The Israel Defense Forces, one of the strongest armies in the region, is now in the same situation. We see that the Israeli intelligence service, which has always been considered one of the most knowledgeable, is also prone to make mistakes, because it would not allow what we now see in the footage from the Gaza Strip. Damaged equipment, captured and killed IDF soldiers. Of course, this does not cheer up the soldiers of the Israeli army and certainly does not add prestige, but still the Israeli Army is still very strong. Israel, like Russia, despite not a very good start, will win in this confrontation." ( https://t.me/NeoficialniyBeZsonoV/29838 )

"I'm looking at this Sderot now, and I see Budennovsk. The same mess, the same faces and slogans of the invaders, the same resistance to the despair of cops and civilians, the same hostages. And the fact that some lousy character from the former "Echo of Moscow"* considers the Basaevites in Sderot to be scoundrels, and sought excuses for the Hamas in Budennovsk, does not change anything in these associations of mine. Such things." ( https://t.me/historiographe/9362 )

"There are some events taking place in the world here.

We are asked to comment.

Events happen all the time.

We should definitely monitor any events, try to delve into them, analyze them through the prism of our national interests.

But this should not distract from the main work.

I assure you - it will not get easier for us because of what is happening in the Middle East. The next year you can not hope for this.
The war will be long, bloody and hard.
Whose amazing people**  will win, he will lose.

Ours won't come, all of ours are us.

Amat victoria curam - Victory loves preparation.

We prepare, train, work.

It will be very difficult, but the result also depends on each of us." ( https://t.me/ghost_of_novorossia/16227 )

**  - Russian ruling elite (and their eqiuivalents in West, in this case)

And, as always, everything was predicted by Zhirinovsky: ""By 2024, a conflict will break out in the Middle East and everyone will simply forget what Ukraine is, because Iran is not North Korea or Vietnam or Kosovo.. Here will be the most terrible events" ( https://t.me/c/1688853451/117592 )

"In Russian social networks, for some reason, it is customary to take some side in any conflict. But how to do it when on the one hand there are those who secretly help your enemy, sing hymns of Ukrainian nationalists and welcome our internal enemies. And on the other - primitive cruelty, mockery of corpses and openly terrorist methods.

Moreover, the latter have more sympathizers in our country. It was as if Kizlyar, Budennovsk, Nord-Ost and Beslan did not exist. How can you sympathize with the savages who climb, pushing each other apart to hit a broken defenseless prisoner. To put the phone in the face of an obviously raped woman who was taken out of the trunk of an SUV and stuffed into the cabin. To jump on the body of a dead soldier.

Sneering at the abandoned Merkava on the highway after Balakleya is also somehow sly. Although, of course, I had illusions about the omnipotence of Israeli intelligence. And the lively discussion of its failure suggests that we suddenly saw that Jews are just like us. They also mess up, and then they clean up.

They are not afraid to officially recognize the fakaps, they directly say that they do not control seven cities, they do not draw red lines for themselves and, without regard to anyone's reaction blow out decision-making centers." (https://t.me/sashakots/42621)

I saw a you tube Arab news channel this morning with an interview of a person purportedly the spokesman for Hamas. He said the reason for this was to send a message and shame those countries who are normalizing relations with Israel.  I think they realized the Palestinian cause was becoming more marginalized and this is a way to start another round of war. They were probably thinking they didn't have anything to lose, their negotiating power is dwindling. I don't know how it will turn out for them. I don't know if Hezbollah  or Syria will jump in the fray....Iran? I am not sure what they can do directly except lob long range missiles which would be counter-productive for them. Perhaps they might get $$ from sympathetic entities. 

This was embarrassing for the Israelis. I wouldn't doubt if they move beyond bombing and opt for penetration into the Gaza Strip. 

22 minutes ago, MiGG0 said:

More vehicles/tanks captured by Palestanisns

https://x.com/warmonitors/status/1710634718394286352?s=46&t=L-M0VMlG0asymAkWk83krw

Seems like fresh Merkava with Trophy captured, but savages around are not even understanding the value of ut and are looting gym equipment.....

https://t.me/milinfolive/107825

16 minutes ago, ex2cav said:

I saw a you tube Arab news channel this morning with an interview of a person purportedly the spokesman for Hamas. He said the reason for this was to send a message and shame those countries who are normalizing relations with Israel.  I think they realized the Palestinian cause was becoming more marginalized and this is a way to start another round of war. They were probably thinking they didn't have anything to lose, their negotiating power is dwindling. I don't know how it will turn out for them. I don't know if Hezbollah  or Syria will jump in the fray....Iran? I am not sure what they can do directly except lob long range missiles which would be counter-productive for them. Perhaps they might get $$ from sympathetic entities. 

This was embarrassing for the Israelis. I wouldn't doubt if they move beyond bombing and opt for penetration into the Gaza Strip. 

It’s a massive Israeli intelligence failure. I think that’s what the Palestinians wanted to showcase.

Even if the Israelis penetrated Gaza, then what? Back in 2008 they decided not to end Hamas because doing so would have brought more instability in the long run. I don’t expect the Israelis to do anything different than what we have seen these pat two decades 

2 minutes ago, crazyinsane105 said:

It’s a massive Israeli intelligence failure. I think that’s what the Palestinians wanted to showcase.

Even if the Israelis penetrated Gaza, then what? Back in 2008 they decided not to end Hamas because doing so would have brought more instability in the long run. I don’t expect the Israelis to do anything different than what we have seen these pat two decades 

That's food for thought. I don't know if they would want direct ownership of the strip. However, I don't think simple bombing will not be enough to ease the sting of this attack. Nothing had happened for so long, everyone was asleep on the Israeli side. It was a little striking seeing roving bands of Palestinians marauding the streets of Israeli towns. I read an article that said there still is an Israeli blockade that has been in effect since 2015. Everything is getting worse in the strip, unemployment, poverty, power outages etc. I think this was the only tool Hamas had to play. When you have a toolbox full of hammers, everything looks like a nail. 

I was unfortunately on social media and watched the Hamas videos of women being raped and shot with their bodies held up for cheering crowds, terrified children being dragged into SUV's, and so on.  Fortunately, our government is on the case urging the Israelis not to retaliate.  War in Europe, now one in the middle east, and we get to look to our drooler in chief to lead us out of it.  Yup, we're all f'ed.

11 minutes ago, ex2cav said:

That's food for thought. I don't know if they would want direct ownership of the strip. However, I don't think simple bombing will not be enough to ease the sting of this attack. Nothing had happened for so long, everyone was asleep on the Israeli side. It was a little striking seeing roving bands of Palestinians marauding the streets of Israeli towns. I read an article that said there still is an Israeli blockade that has been in effect since 2015. Everything is getting worse in the strip, unemployment, poverty, power outages etc. I think this was the only tool Hamas had to play. When you have a toolbox full of hammers, everything looks like a nail. 

This attack militarily is a "sting" but it's on a whole new level in terms of where the conflict stood, this is a new 9-11 but with hostages, and it's about high time Gaza gets re-occupied and cleared, despite the cost. Hamas is betting on a week or so of bombing and then "peace" when they agree to exchange the hostages, but this will propel them sky high in the eyes of the locals, so defeat needs to be decisive.

5 minutes ago, RETAC21 said:

This attack militarily is a "sting" but it's on a whole new level in terms of where the conflict stood, this is a new 9-11 but with hostages, and it's about high time Gaza gets re-occupied and cleared, despite the cost. Hamas is betting on a week or so of bombing and then "peace" when they agree to exchange the hostages, but this will propel them sky high in the eyes of the locals, so defeat needs to be decisive.

Gaza being re occupied? That’s exactly what Hamas wants to happen. Then the Israelis will have to take care of millions of inhabitants. 

There is simply no good military solution to this. If there was, Israel would have figured it out long ago. 

Edited by crazyinsane105

9 minutes ago, crazyinsane105 said:

Gaza being re occupied? That’s exactly what Hamas wants to happen. Then the Israelis will have to take care of millions of inhabitants. 

There is simply no good military solution to this. If there was, Israel would have figured it out long ago. 

Gaza has been occupied and it wasn't a problem. The withdrawal was something that was never explained but it wasn't because they were suffering a lot of casualties.

As I have written here time and again: Israel has a Palestinian problem it doesn't want to see, and those chickens have come home to roost.

What could have been a manageable problem years ago has grown to nearly unmanageable proportions today and bombs off F-35s are not going to fix it, at the end of the day, it's boots on the ground they only way to put down an insurgency. Israel can do it, and it won't be easy, but it's far from impossible.

Edited by RETAC21

47 minutes ago, Roman Alymov said:

Seems like fresh Merkava with Trophy captured, but savages around are not even understanding the value of ut and are looting gym equipment.....

https://t.me/milinfolive/107825

Well, they probably can't load it into a ship and sail to Iran. I suppose it is possible they could detach some individual components and give or sell them for studying. But most likely those tanks will be just burnt out to prevent recapture.