• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and that is the real rub. China has too much control over items that are ultimately a national security concern. Making China the medicine factory for the world was an error in judgement of epic proportions

It happened naturally due to the anti business western culture. Amazing that a now nominal Communist regime can be less business unfriendly than most (all?) of the West.

That is the point. The interventions and threats of Chinese Government are at another level of what am saying it here.

The growth of China as factory of the world, the products good enough quality, the rapidity of changes are organic. The people there have several qualities that the West should look for.

I just have to look at US in XXI Century in Iraq and US in XX Century in WW2 - Tell me how many long years for anti-IED vehicles to appear to Iraq?

" The growth of China as factory of the world, the products good enough quality, the rapidity of changes are organic. The people there have several qualities that the West should look for. "

My 2 cents:

Sorry, do not agree. The Chinese produce 80 % garbage, junk, useless inferior products, that don´t work as you unpack them or break down in a fraction ( 1/100) of lifetime service of a BAD product formally produced in non-China. Might as well scuttle the freighters off HongHong and transfer large Euro sums directly to Chinese bank accounts.

And now we hear they produce a great % of our medicines as well as food products. None are declared so that one knows where the stuff was produced.

The 100 times cursed Greens, the 1 time cursed Government in Berlin and the 10 times cursed EU technocrats have failed miserably.

So Chinese computers do not work, memories do not work, phones do not work, 3d printers fail 1/100 of lifetime of other countries crap? well i own several products made in China some by Chinese companies and they are okay while not as polished of some of the best. Same opinions from my friends.

Maybe you should think of insert the important data point that they keep selling all that stuff to billions around the world if the stuff is so bad and maybe revise your opinion.

Always surprises me how people maintain opinions even if facts changes around them.

I´m not into arguing. I don´t care much about products mentioned anyway. But: as far as I remember Nokias cell phones used to work just fine.

Chinese junk is MY experience. That´s it.

All products should have a (high) minimal usefullness and longevity standard.

Also, I want products to be labled in detail, so I know where the product or parts of it in material or manufacture originate. Should be no problem with todays manufacturing process and tracking etc.

This especially for foods. Details on product where it was grown and processed. A can that just labels " Italian Tomatoes " means nothing.

German government confirmed that earlier CureVac claim. Really weird, must be more to this: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSL8N2B8075

BERLIN, March 15 (Reuters) - Berlin is trying to stop Washington from persuading a German company seeking a coronavirus vaccine to move its research to the United States, prompting German politicians to insist no country should have a monopoly on any future vaccine.
Germany’s Health Ministry confirmed a report in newspaper Welt am Sonntag, which said President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure the company CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.
“The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe,” the newspaper quoted a Health Ministry official as saying. “In this regard, the government is in intensive exchange with the company CureVac.”
Contacted by Reuters, a spokeswoman for the German Health Ministry said: “We confirm the report in the Welt am Sonntag.”
Welt am Sonntag quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”
There was no comment immediately available from the U.S. embassy in Berlin when contacted by Reuters on Sunday over the report, and nobody was available to comment at CureVac. Welt am Sonntag said CureVac declined to comment.
Florian von der Muelbe, CureVac’s chief production officer and co-founder, told Reuters last week the company had started with a multitude of coronavirus vaccine candidates and was now selecting the two best to go into clinical trials.
The privately-held company based in Tuebingen, Germany hopes to have an experimental vaccine ready by June or July to then seek the go-ahead from regulators for testing on humans.
On its website, CureVac said CEO Daniel Menichella early this month met Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force and senior representatives of pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discuss a vaccine.
Karl Lauterbach, a professor of health economics and epidemiology who is also a senior lawmaker with the Social Democrats, junior partners in Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition, tweeted in reaction to the Welt am Sonntag report: “The exclusive sale of a possible vaccine to the USA must be prevented by all means. Capitalism has limits.” (Reporting by Andreas Rinke and Paul Carrel)

Does this pandemic spell the end of unfettered globalism? I've been wondering that for a while now.

100 years from now there will be articles wondering why the government is still paying a n-95 subsidy, they will be followed by articles asking the same about the mohair subsidy. https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/npr/library/reports/ag01.html

German government confirmed that earlier CureVac claim. Really weird, must be more to this: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSL8N2B8075

The radio news said the exact opposite. The government would neither confirm nor deny the story and the company said they didn't even get an offer from the USA.

Does this pandemic spell the end of unfettered globalism? I've been wondering that for a while now.

One can hope. But once the immediate crisis passes, it will take fortitude, stubbornness and perseverance to paddle against the stream of the money that can be gained by outsourcing to the cheapest overseas supplier.

--

Soren

One can hope. But once the immediate crisis passes, it will take fortitude, stubbornness and perseverance to paddle against the stream of the money that can be gained by outsourcing to the cheapest overseas supplier.

--

Soren

It would help greatly if products were labeled IMO. Origin of raw materials, processed materials and production of end-product.

It is a joke that today still the consumer is not allowed to know these things.

Reputable U.S. press outlets (what is left of them) have also picked up on the Trump wants dibs on German vaccine futures story. I remain skeptical unless the Germans corroborate.

Saw 2 arguments in lines snaking back to the aisles at my 5th visit (and first daytime visit) to Costco over the weekend. The one closest to me was set off by the loaded question of "Think you got enough paper towels?" asked by a college-age kid to a family, which deteriorated quickly.

Generation M certainly speaks its mind.

EU countries were unable to respond to Italy's call for help. So China has sent a team and supplies to help Italy. An aid team from China is going to the Philippines as well.

Ironic as it was likely China's Belt and Road efforts in Italy that brought the virus there in such force to begin with.

If that means free trade. :Probably not -. not enough know-how, capacity, culture. There are too many products/services to be made by a country. Even China if it wanted could not produce everything.

And i hope not, unless you want poverty. It was protectionism that brought 1929.

Well, I guess when I say unfettered, that doesn't exclude mutual interest trading blocs. Since we're in this multi-polar era, I didn't think a bunch of powers would remain unaligned. Especially someplace like the UK. Eventually, they'll have to pick some partners. I think the EU is too big an umbrella for too wide a basket of ideologies also. Some of the looser nuts will roll out eventually, probably soon after the costs start outweighing the economic benefits here in about 6 - 9 months.

If that means free trade. :Probably not -. not enough know-how, capacity, culture. There are too many products/services to be made by a country. Even China if it wanted could not produce everything.

And i hope not, unless you want poverty. It was protectionism that brought 1929.

Reputable U.S. press outlets (what is left of them) have also picked up on the Trump wants dibs on German vaccine futures story. I remain skeptical unless the Germans corroborate.

I think the media's Trump Derangement Syndrome way exaggerated the story: The government talked to the company. The orange man is bad, so he must have had the worst intentions. He doesn't want the vaccine ASAP, he wants to take it from us, he wants it for the USA only.

What does it matter to the USA who else gets it as long as it gets out ASAP? Actually, the USA would benefit from as many nations getting it. The sooner it's over in and outside the USA, the sooner travel and trade normalize.

EU countries were unable to respond to Italy's call for help. So China has sent a team and supplies to help Italy. An aid team from China is going to the Philippines as well.

Ironic as it was likely China's Belt and Road efforts in Italy that brought the virus there in such force to begin with.

It seems the Italian virus actually came from Germany...

Interesting, how did they discover that?

Interesting, how did they discover that?

genetic affinity, each virus strain is sightly different, and it seems the Italian virus is related to one detected in S. Germany

Menichella was reported to have met U.S. President Donald Trump on March 2.

On 11 March 2020, it was reported that CureVac AG's CEO Daniel Menichella was no longer the company's CEO, having been replaced by company founder Ingmar Hoerr.

Published: Mar 16, 2020 2:58 p.m. ET : CureVac AG announced today that Ingmar Hoerr, CEO of the company, will take a temporary leave of absence for medical reasons.

War. War never changes.

TÜBINGEN, Germany/ BOSTON, USA, 16 March 2020 – CureVac AG announced today that Ingmar Hoerr, CEO of the company, will take a temporary leave of absence for medical reasons. Ingmar Hoerr’s leave is not caused by coronavirus. CureVac’s Supervisory Board fully supports the experienced management team in place and appoints the Franz-Werner Haas, Deputy CEO to assume Hoerr’s role until his return.

b4ff81d41366b336182b9d5472d065b7.jpg

Menichella was reported to have met U.S. President Donald Trump on March 2.

On 11 March 2020, it was reported that CureVac AG's CEO Daniel Menichella was no longer the company's CEO, having been replaced by company founder Ingmar Hoerr.

Published: Mar 16, 2020 2:58 p.m. ET : CureVac AG announced today that Ingmar Hoerr, CEO of the company, will take a temporary leave of absence for medical reasons.

War. War never changes.

"We know nothing about that"(a US government offer).

https://www.tichyseinblick.de/daili-es-sentials/curevac-dementiert-angebliches-uebernahme-angebot-von-trump/

PS: Just because they met does not mean the story of Trump wanting exclusive(!) access is true. Emphasis on exclusive.

Edited by Markus Becker