• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman Alymov

• Simon Tan

• Stuart Galbraith

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Russian wives in Damascus reporting in their Facebook conversations loud explosions and “sparks in the air everywhere” (no idea what it mean).

AA fire?

Trump talked about hitting 'suspected chemical weapons sites' which seems to imply relatively modest strike.

Russian wives in Damascus reporting in their Facebook conversations loud explosions and “sparks in the air everywhere” (no idea what it mean).

AA fire?

Trump talked about hitting 'suspected chemical weapons sites' which seems to imply relatively modest strike.

No idea. Rus correspondents on the place say they observe many successful missile intercepts, but actually for observer on the ground it is next to impossible to tell intercept from SAM exploding after not finding target. Will see when smoke settle down.

Strange claims of some kind of “research centre” targeted – what kind of research centre needed to create what was described as chlorine barrel bomb? Just another senseless explanation.

No idea. Rus correspondents on the place say they observe many successful missile intercepts, but actually for observer on the ground it is next to impossible to tell intercept from SAM exploding after not finding target. Will see when smoke settle down.

Strange claims of some kind of “research centre” targeted – what kind of research centre needed to create what was described as chlorine barrel bomb? Just another senseless explanation.

Probably something which known/identified as a chemical weapon research centre before the war, and now bombed under the assumption that it has continued its business.

Looks like three targets in coordination between the US, France, and UK according to Pentagon briefing about the strike. Another briefing is to be held tomorrow morning they say with more details. The strike is over. Description of the targets starts at 35:39. 1st target in greater Damascus area, a chemical research center. 2nd target west of Homs, chemical weapons storage and precursor sarin tech. 3rd target near 2nd target, chemical weapons storage facility and command post. Q&A had the question about Syria's claim to 13 shot down tomahawks, more information in tomorrow morining's briefing but report of no losses as of now.

Edited by JasonJ

WTF are you even going on about?

Russia and the US are on the brink of war and any war between them could eventually go nuclear.

Sorry if I sounded snarky, I just get pissed off when people act like the real world is a computer wargame.

Some people pine to be the next Matthew Broderick, War Games.

Anyway, wasn't a Russia captain threatening to torpedo US ships should they launch missiles? I'm not sure, but I am sure I have heard no word of any sinkings.

Finally, kaboom! Though I expected it to be more yuuuuuge. Sad!

I thought a couple days ago that the delay was probably for France and the UK to move assets into position for the optics of multi-lateral action; I imagine the latter used Scalp/Storm Shadow. Welcome to the good old days of Libya, 2011.

Wtf, so Russia is now accusing the U.K. of staging the attack? (You need to scroll down a bit) https://www.apnews.com/aa5d345988a64422a2b1cb7f5ddc41f8/The-Latest:-Russia-says-UK-led-'staged'-Syria-gas-attack

Yes, its all the fault of British imperialists, dead set on reviving the Empire. Wholly different from Russian Imperialists of course. :closedeyes:

As they say, if you believe that one, ive a great bridge I want to sell you. :)

Oddly enough, the message is "don't use chemical weapons or we won't do anything"

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1493600/us-allies-strike-syrian-targets-in-response-to-regimes-chemical-attacks/

U.S., Allies Strike Syrian Targets in Response to Regime’s Chemical Attacks

The action does not indicate a widening of U.S. involvement in Syria, the president said.

Oddly enough, the message is "don't use chemical weapons or we won't do anything"

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1493600/us-allies-strike-syrian-targets-in-response-to-regimes-chemical-attacks/

The action does not indicate a widening of U.S. involvement in Syria, the president said.

He has to say that to satisfy his voter base he hasnt gone all GWB on them. OTH, better a GWB then a BC.

He has to say that to satisfy his voter base he hasnt gone all GWB on them. OTH, better a GWB then a BC.

Probably but Mattis explicitly said that Assad hadn't got last year's message so they are sending a new one that is: we will bomb something sometimes but won't do anything else, so you can carry on.

Well there is no appetite for wider involvement int he war among the US public. They had a gutful from Afghanistan and Iraq, and who can blame them. We even more than they I think, if you witness the bizarre popularity of Jeremy Corbyn.

There is a clear difference between involvement in the wider war, which would probably just be enough to tip the Russians over the edge into full insanity, and toleration for Chemical weapons. I mean, we are only 100 years after the end of substantive battlefield use in WW1. Barely a month away from celebrating the end of the war in 1945 meaning an end to chemical genocide. Which are only just over a month after the first use of nerve agent on European soil since 1945. The signposts are palpable, and its clear we are moving towards a period when chemical weapons usage is going to be normalized.

No sane person wants that. We had to do something, however imperfect it was, and you are right to cite it as imperfect. Call it a speedbump on the road to the inevitable.

As things are, I dont think we could have done any more, or anything differently. The cards must fall where they may.

So how many missiles did Russia manage to shoot down, obviously not all of them.

Of far more interest will be the reasons that Russia comes up with as to why they didn't manage it even after being told they are on the way.

They didnt shoot at all, if first reports are correct. Which either means their S400 is the brokedest of broken things, or there is literally no point in Russia being there because they fear the response. Its not like they can put a roof on the Syrian Republic, Su57s or no.