Because, America

Mr King

Roman, from that picture I hope it tells you the same message I think you would want us to understand about Russia, which is don't believe the manufactured political narrative. I don't have any use for the Confederate flag, and would never fly it, but even still I understand the culture that surrounds it is a hell of a lot more nuanced than simply "racist white folk".

That's it. The left wants to control every social discourse, including that about the past. They don't want to leave it to each individual to have their own notions. Only one true valid tolerable notion allowed.

Just this week a video of a top Party meeting in Cuba was leaked, and on it Miguel Díaz Canel, heir presumptive, riled against small privately operated venues that "glorify the Batista era", that is, monetize the nostalgia for how vibrant, wealthy, decadent and beatiful was Cuba in the 50s, with the american Cars,the Night scene, the music, the fashion etc. Note the similarity?

Edited by toysoldier

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know TX is hardcore about high school football, but... seriously? :blink:

$72M Texas high school football stadium to hold first game

KATY — A Houston-area school district will hold its first game next week in its new $72 million football stadium, believed to be the most expensive high school stadium ever built.

Katy voters in 2014 approved the construction as part of a whopping $748 million bond that will pay for new schools for a district of 74,000 students that's growing at a rate of 2,000 students a year.

About $58 million was initially set aside for the stadium but rising costs pushed the price tag upward.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_schools/central_texas_football/m-texas-high-school-football-stadium-to-hold-first-game/article_1aa2067a-87c5-11e7-b84d-07d364c5bbed.html

Edited by Skywalkre

Roman, from that picture I hope it tells you the same message I think you would want us to understand about Russia, which is don't believe the manufactured political narrative. I don't have any use for the Confederate flag, and would never fly it, but even still I understand the culture that surrounds it is a hell of a lot more nuanced than simply "racist white folk".

To some extent we got the same discussions around our previous Civil War - and seems like only new civil war we how have in Ukraine could heal divides (despite this divides are not by race or even origin, but more about political views)

(Photo – pro-Russians with Kornilov White Army badges )

Police Investigating Whether Local NBC Affiliate Was Involved in Monument Vandalism

Bryan West from Channel 12 did an “exclusive” story.
He went to a Confederate memorial at Wesley Bolin Plaza to talk about defaced memorials. When he got there he found the memorial defaced and a guy on a bicycle fleeing the scene. He called police and then reported on it.
But watching the surveillance video from the capitol clearly shows the news van turn on its headlights and shine them at the back of the memorial. Then 1 minute later the suspect rides past the van in front of the headlight carrying 2 cans of spray paint. He goes around to the front of the memorial and spends four and a half minutes defacing it. He then gets on his bike and rides TOWARD the van and headlights as he exits the scene. One minute later you see the news crew set up for the story.
I obtained further video showing the suspect arriving approximately 11 minutes before the news crew and is riding around the mall in the dark alone.
He isn’t defacing any monuments. Only after the news crew shows up and shines their headlights at the Confederate memorial does he approach and deface it.
Something is very wrong here!

This is consequence of the death of conservative media. Most outlets who shared conservative values but were reporting truthfully and largely unbiased and even sometimes critical of the politicians aligned to their political orientation have been set on the sidelines. It is liberal fake news vs. the right wing media. All strongly biased.

When you don't have a story you generate a story. I wonder whether this is taught at any journalism school, maybe it is.

Or at times the story is the newsteam themselves, like that time when a tv crew was in a Baghdad hotel which came under fire and the piece became centered on the adventures of the crew themselves as it was too hot above the basement. I think this episode was mentioned here.

those boring puritans killing all the fun and impeding freedom of the arts! :lol:

Would it makea difference if she still had been enrolled?

Several proffesors would have volunteered yo punish her...

I am reminded of that time the students at my school of engineering where I was teaching decided to raise funds for their end of degree trip using the then in vogue naked calendar.

It is a bit distressing to have a student keep trying to you to look at her picture in the calendar, indeed.

Then, the competition among instructors to prove who had the prettiest students.

Fortunately, that year was not one of the years with the Galadriel lookalike.

I take it you don't have a 9 year old daughter who is interested in STEM. :angry2:

This and the role Penny was definitely not studying engineering, but playing Age of Conan to excess in this episode of Big Bang Theory. http://bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Barbarian_Sublimation

From back when I used to watch the show. Damn, it is nearly a decade by now? :blink:

I take it you don't have a 9 year old daughter who is interested in STEM. :angry2:

Easy there, bud, just be a a good father and provide as much positive reinforcement as possible.

For the rest, let the chip on your shoulder drop and bow to the wind as the willow does, let it pass and rise again :)

No. I have a 20-something niece with a bachelors in a STEM major, working on a masters. If you haven't done an engineering program at a decent university, you will simply not understand.

I was actually reminiscing earlier this week with a classmate of mine...

The Computer Engineering lab would open at 0900, so I was there at 0900. It would close at 2300, so I would go home at 2300. Classes got in the way of my lab work, and the only reason this wasn't 7 days a week is that the lab closed at 1430 on Fridays, and was open limited hours on the weekend.

And this was as an Undergrad.

It was also too many years ago.