King Sargent

Michael Eastes

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles King Sargent was a good friend to all of us and had an unsurpassed intellect and a great sense of humour. We first met at the Toronto I&I in 1999, and last in Norfolk this last September... except for being physically slower, he hadn't changed a bit. He was, in balance, a fine gentleman.

I shall miss the old curmudgeon dearly.

RIP, King... we shall all see you again some day.

I was fortunate to meet King at the last I&I in Norfolk. Spent a little time with him at the fort. It was a pleasure to walk at King's pace and hear him talk. It was also a gift to see the friendship between King and Michael Eastes. While it was difficult for King Sargent to walk, now he can stride.

Just wow. Speechless.

Wherever you are King, I hope your pain is over.

I think of was how much of a part of what made TN great he was and how it will be without him.

I always regretted how we missed eachother by a few days in the UK as well, were planning on catching up over a beer.

I really pity Douglas Macarthur as well :lol:

Wow, now i'm all misty eyed... :(

Condolences to those who knew him on a much more personal level also.

King and I only ever disagreed about one thing; could a Garand be re-loaded faster than a M-14.

We were going to have a shoot-off some day - can we do do that in the next life?

King and I only ever disagreed about one thing; could a Garand be re-loaded faster than a M-14.

We were going to have a shoot-off some day - can we do do that in the next life?

If you accept what CS Lewis argues yes you can, but the again you won't have to do a shoot off, as you will both know the answer already.

King knows the answer now for sure, he will tell you when you get there.

Never had the honor of meeting him in real life, but was fortunate to learn a thing or two from him online.

His will be a light truly missed in this world. My condolences to his friends and family.

Rest in peace, friend.

C. Rowe

I know he's had a rough time of it lately, so I hope he is at peace and in comfort (and telling more than a few historical generals off!). He will be a tremendous loss to many on the net as, while he could be opinionated, his opinions were extremely well researched and informative. I can say I learned a tremendous amount from the man and was a bit in awe of his encyclopedic knowledge of damned near everything that has happened for the past few millenia on a battlefield. If God is as kind and just as I believe He is, King is already watching Operation Market Garden in real time and discussing it with a few of the participants.

Man, this really sucks.

Matt

Damn I was hoping he would get better.

Here is the man, as a member of the Sherman Lovers Club at CFB Borden at the Canadian I &I - King is in the Blue Jacket, back row, 3d from the left grey hair and shades leaning against the Sherman

And this next picture of the SLC was taken when King noticed the Panther was on fire and we became firefighters :D

King you are missed already.... as part of our Recce Party, I know you will have places waiting for us... Say Hello to McAurther, and Monty for us

Thanks Andrew, those pictures bring back memories, very good ones. I can't believe that that was more than 10 years ago, though when I look at how young and skinny I was, I CAN believe it. We're getting to be some old bastages.

King played the role of an opinionated codger and foil on this grate site for many years.

The couple of times I met him, he confirmed that he was a genuine, warm, interesting, and interested gentleman. I wish him Godspeed and many interesting discussions on the other side. RIP.

Only met him once a few years back at an I&I but took him as a man full of life & knowledge. He will be missed.

RIP

Edited by Al