Corinthian

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DB said:

Hooligans exist in all countries. Except China, which is perfect, and bestest Korea, where they ate the football.

US sports fans are also quite civil.

12 hours ago, sunday said:

The more inherent violence there is on the field, the less violence in the stands.  Also sports where one side or the other scores with more frequency than in Association Football have less violence because there are more opportunities to release tension.

3 hours ago, DougRichards said:

The more inherent violence there is on the field, the less violence in the stands.  Also sports where one side or the other scores with more frequency than in Association Football have less violence because there are more opportunities to release tension.

I think the field of Sociology is full of old wives tales.

20 hours ago, sunday said:

Mostly, yes. There are exceptions; for example, Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia had a built-in police station and holding cell facility.

And there have been shameful acts of violence at Dodgers/Giants games, of late.

16 hours ago, DougRichards said:

I hear Toronto is still recovering from the rioting this week over a contentious curling match. 

23 minutes ago, Harold Jones said:

You are probably just in denial because of the deep scars left by your attendance at a Rockies game.

After attending some soccer matches at home, no way a lone, mostly harmless heckler could even begin to bother me... 😋

On 8/24/2021 at 3:17 AM, DougRichards said:

I head it said a long time ago that France has a great culture but no civility, whilst England had civility but no culture:

Only if blinding someone with laser is civility.

I've worked with a couple of French emigres, one for several years. I tried to learn about France from her, since she was both hot and smart.

To paraphrase her, there is Paris, and then there is France.

Going to Paris on vacay and drawing conclusions about France would be like going to NYC on vacay and drawing conclusions about the US. A trip to my little town would be startling to someone who had only experience NYC.

27 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

I've worked with a couple of French emigres, one for several years. I tried to learn about France from her, since she was both hot and smart.

To paraphrase her, there is Paris, and then there is France.

Going to Paris on vacay and drawing conclusions about France would be like going to NYC on vacay and drawing conclusions about the US. A trip to my little town would be startling to someone who had only experience NYC.

I was going to write the UK situation is the same, Spain is not far behind, and Russia is the proof of the pudding, but it seems to be a generalized phenomenon.

Edited by sunday

On 8/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, sunday said:

Now you are channeling a character from "Crazy Rich Asians" 😁

Well, according to one of my family friends from the UK, London is doing pretty well but the cities and towns outside of London are/were in dire straits.

2 hours ago, NickM said:

Well, according to one of my family friends from the UK, London is doing pretty well but the cities and towns outside of London are/were in dire straits.

It's not turned into Beyond Thunderdome out here just yet. Maybe your London friends were not aware of the conditions outside London before Brexit?

It's always been grim in parts of the North.

13 minutes ago, DB said:

It's not turned into Beyond Thunderdome out here just yet. Maybe your London friends were not aware of the conditions outside London before Brexit?

It's always been grim in parts of the North.

lived in both both the US (norcal) and London but family was from Wales

Ah, ok. Then one might flip the argument on its head - there is and always has been a lot of regional dislike for London's privileged position.

I've lived in London also. I wouldn't say that the majority of people who live there think they're doing any better than others elsewhere. London has every income class, not just City bankers.

I note, though, that the banking sector hasn't collapsed instantly as was predicted by the Remainers.

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

I was looking forward to that as the sole positive of Brexit. 

NYC has been hammered by the Mortgage Meltdown, 9/11, COVID-19, a hurricane, and even Godzilla. The financial industry remains unfazed.