16 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I don't believe for a second that professional athletes have "no" co-morbidities.

The lowest life expectancy across careers in the US are observed among NFL players. In many sports, athletes are issued papers as certified invalides by age 35...45. There's a gazillion co-medications, whether that's steroid abuse, suppression of chronig tissue or joint inflammation, ...

Few things are as unhealthy as becoming a professional athlete. It's the dirty secret that nobody wants to talk about, but the reality is, you have to sacrifice your health for a slim chance to fleeting fame.

Depends on the sport a lot, i would imagine. Footballs of all sorts and some martial arts have their neurological issues and there's probably more than a few who end up going down the George Best / Gazza road once career is over, but i would be surprised if track-and-field sportsmen had much shorter lifespans.

That said, for dealing with infectious disease apparently your immune system is optimized by moderate amount of exercise, and extreme training can be as bad as completely sedentary lifestyle. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

High COVID-19 vaccination rates were expected to reduce transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in populations by reducing the number of possible sources for transmission and thereby to reduce the burden of COVID-19 disease. Recent data, however, indicate that the epidemiological relevance of COVID-19 vaccinated individuals is increasing. In the UK it was described that secondary attack rates among household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was similar to household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (25% for vaccinated vs 23% for unvaccinated). 12 of 31 infections in fully vaccinated household contacts (39%) arose from fully vaccinated epidemiologically linked index cases. Peak viral load did not differ by vaccination status or variant type [[1]].

In Germany, the rate of symptomatic COVID-19 cases among the fully vaccinated (“breakthrough infections”) is reported weekly since 21. July 2021 and was 16.9% at that time among patients of 60 years and older [[2]]. This proportion is increasing week by week and was 58.9% on 27. October 2021 (Figure 1) providing clear evidence of the increasing relevance of the fully vaccinated as a possible source of transmission. A similar situation was described for the UK. Between week 39 and 42, a total of 100.160 COVID-19 cases were reported among citizens of 60 years or older. 89.821 occurred among the fully vaccinated (89.7%), 3.395 among the unvaccinated (3.4%) [[3]]. One week before, the COVID-19 case rate per 100.000 was higher among the subgroup of the vaccinated compared to the subgroup of the unvaccinated in all age groups of 30 years or more. In Israel a nosocomial outbreak was reported involving 16 healthcare workers, 23 exposed patients and two family members. The source was a fully vaccinated COVID-19 patient. The vaccination rate was 96.2% among all exposed individuals (151 healthcare workers and 97 patients). Fourteen fully vaccinated patients became severely ill or died, the two unvaccinated patients developed mild disease [[4]]. The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) identifies four of the top five counties with the highest percentage of fully vaccinated population (99.9–84.3%) as “high” transmission counties [[5]]. Many decisionmakers assume that the vaccinated can be excluded as a source of transmission. It appears to be grossly negligent to ignore the vaccinated population as a possible and relevant source of transmission when deciding about public health control measures.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00258-1/

The world should do more today to prepare for the pandemics of the future, said Professor Sarah Gilbert, one of the inventors of the Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine.

“This will not be the last time a virus threatens our lives and our livelihoods,” Gilbert said as she delivered the 44th Richard Dimbleby Lecture, an annual address by an influential figure that will be aired Monday on the BBC. “The truth is, the next one could be worse. It could be more contagious, or more lethal, or both.”

1 hour ago, wilhelm said:

He never wore the mask very well in the first place. It certainly didn't conceal much of his ideas to me.

Milo is a dime a dozen up here. 

Right now I've just completed and sent and an email to a friend that was ranting about a new Rachel Maddow interview in which she claimed Trump had admitted to obstruction of justice in firing Comey.  I had to explain that Comey's replacement was a guy named Wray and that there is zero evidence Wray did anything in the Mueller investigation in collusion with Trump, so the firing of Comey was not obstruction of justice.

Can't speak for Americans, but the problem up here is a level of functional cluelessness cultivated by a media that has become very good at radicalizing people, in conjunction with everyone thinking they're the smartest person in the room. 

Edited by glenn239

Former President Donald Trump bragged that he effectively obstructed justice during a Fox News interview.

Amid demands for Attorney General Merrick Garland to impanel a grand jury, Trump told Fox News that he simply had to fire former FBI Director James Comey. Otherwise, he could have been held accountable for his relationship with Russia during the 2016 election.

“Don’t forget, I fired Comey,” Trump bragged. “Had I not fired Comey, you might not be talking to me right now about a beautiful book about four years in the White House, and we’ll see about the future. If I didn’t fire Comey, they were looking to take down the president of the United States… I don’t think could’ve survived if I didn’t fire him.”

The report published by former special counsel Robert Mueller said that they didn’t even look at whether Trump broke the law during the 2016 election because he followed the Office of Legal Counsel’s opinion that the president couldn’t be indicted while in office. What Mueller did say was that he uncovered at least 10 examples of obstruction of justice from Trump attempting to stop his investigation.

Trump Admits to Obstruction of Justice in Fox News Interview (thenewcivilrightsmovement.com)

You know what though. If you obstruct an illegally founded investigation, which was predicated on falsely provided evidence? You didn't commit a crime. Arguably the folks conducting the investigation on a baseless set of evidence, they're the ones committing the crimes. 

Try keeping up with events since 2 years ago. 

1 hour ago, glenn239 said:

Milo is a dime a dozen up here. 

Wait..he's not American?

If so, it reminds me of another poster here with an extremely unhealthy, all-consuming passion to demonise a certain person or people from a specific geographical location.

Edited by wilhelm

10 hours ago, lucklucky said:

In Totalitarian Austria Vaccine Critics to get up to 1 year in jail. And will have to pay for it.

The political class in West is repugnant.

https://exxpress.at/alle-details-zum-gesetz-gegen-impfgegner-bis-zu-einem-jahr-beugehaft/

I don't read German.  It is hard to believe that a liberal (classic liberal) democratic republic could do this.

4 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Can't speak for Americans, but the problem up here is a level of functional cluelessness cultivated by a media that has become very good at radicalizing people, in conjunction with everyone thinking they're the smartest person in the room. 

That problem is not limited to those North of the black line.

1 hour ago, 17thfabn said:

I don't read German.  It is hard to believe that a liberal (classic liberal) democratic republic could do this.

I used Google after a pointer from a German speaker person and it confirms it is proposal from most Austrian parties. it seems only the so called extreme right is reticent and will not vote for it.

We have German members her, lets see if they confirm too.

Edited by lucklucky

11 hours ago, lucklucky said:

In Totalitarian Austria Vaccine Critics to get up to 1 year in jail. And will have to pay for it.

The political class in West is repugnant.

IF I understand correctly Germany had / has laws against holocaust denial. Is the same true in Austria?

Holocaust denial is stupid. But it shouldn't be illegal. Free speech and facts will show how idiotic it is.  

The pro and anti vaccine sides should debate openly and the facts will emerge.

Not too long ago certain social media sites banned mention the COVID 19 may have came out of a lab in Wuhan China, either accidentally or intentionally. Now it is accepted that this MAY be true. We may never know the truth because China is NOT known for the free exchange of ideas. 

Any one calling for the suppression of free speech is not a classic liberal.

You are free to call some ones else's ideas, beliefs and statements stupid. You are not to ban them.

8 minutes ago, lucklucky said:

I used Google after a pointer from a German speaker person and it confirms it is proposal from most Austrian parties. it seems only the so called extreme right is reticent and will not vote for it.

Glad to see it is only a  proposal at this time.  Hopefully when it is thought through it will not go through. 

29 minutes ago, 17thfabn said:

Glad to see it is only a  proposal at this time.  Hopefully when it is thought through it will not go through. 

A proposal from major Austrian parties shows a totalitarian political culture regardless of it is final approved or not. It is possible many voters in those parties will resists and will have reluctance going that path yet , but the political-journalist nomenklatura in West have been designing a very dangerous path. I consider a bigger threat to my civilisation the UE, Boris, Biden and many others politicians in UE and USA than Russia or China.  China and Russia which btw would welcome any measures of that kind because they will make them  safe from any criticism. For us in the West the Tyrants here if there is no much difference from Tyrants 5000km away will be always more dangerous.

PS: from translation   The amendment already passed the parliamentary committee.

Edited by lucklucky

The EU project is not, and has never been about freedom.

Austria was a kind of litmus test to guage reaction. This is how the EU works.

It passed with only sporadic protest, but none of the elite hanging from lamp posts.

No surprise to see it being wheeled out now across larger, more central entities.

11 hours ago, rmgill said:

How far is it from there to criticism of the government is an offense that can land you in jail? 

The headline is completely incorrect, the law is not about throwing critics into jail. It's about mandatory vaccination. Failure to comply would carry a 2 k€ fine, and failure to pay that would be transferred to maximum of 1 year prison sentence....

I don't know about austrian media but that eXXpress at least looks like a tabloid and seems about as reliable as daily heil.

Edited by jmsaari