https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1092-0?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nm%2Frss%2Fcurrent+(Nature+Medicine+-+Issue)

"We identified 4–7 SSEs <super-spreader event> across 51 clusters (n = 309 cases) and estimated that 19% (95% confidence interval, 15–24%) of cases seeded 80% of all local transmission."

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3619.short?rss=1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bmj%2Frecent+(Latest+from+BMJ)

Six studies (covering 14 741 people) examined temperature measurements, questions about international travel, exposure to known infected people, and exposure to known or suspected infected people. These studies combined incorrectly identified 77-100 of 100 infected people as healthy and 0-10 of 100 healthy people as infected.

Sanjeev Sabhlok resigned from the Victorian Treasury last week after rallying against Melbourne's strict COVID-19 lockdowns and politicians online.

Mr Sabhlok, who moved to Melbourne from India in 2001, took to Twitter to announce his resignation with a stern warning to Mr Andrews.

'I served your government as an economist until 10 September 2020 but have resigned to protest your Police State,' he wrote.

'I did not come to Australia to be a slave of whimsical government. You have not implemented risk-based management, no evidence-based policy, no cost-benefit analysis.

'No justification. Just whimsy. You must reset Victoria's policies right now. But if you won't, then go!'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8742023/Victorian-government-economist-Sanjeev-Sabhlok-resigns-protest-Dan-Andrews-police-state.html

1 hour ago, JWB said:

About 400 pts, mixed dispositions, sensitivity and specificity comparable to RT-PCR.  Sounds solid, the study just needs to be repeated with n= thousands, multi-center, same mixed dispositions, and it'll be gold.  

On 9/17/2020 at 9:21 AM, Stargrunt6 said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3619.short?rss=1&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bmj%2Frecent+(Latest+from+BMJ)

Six studies (covering 14 741 people) examined temperature measurements, questions about international travel, exposure to known infected people, and exposure to known or suspected infected people. These studies combined incorrectly identified 77-100 of 100 infected people as healthy and 0-10 of 100 healthy people as infected.

Color me surprised, not. Temperature as a diagnostic is promoted because it is easy and cheap, not because it is effective. Since my early 20s, my oral temp has been between 97.0F and 98.0F, regardless of health. Including bouts of the flu, head colds, numerous bouts of bronchitis, pneumonia (chest film looked like I took a 1 oz load of #9 shot to the chest), food poisoning, etc.

This whole pre-screening before performing a PCR test, IMHO, has literally killed people. Trying to conserve test kits is insane.

Our provincial health authority is rolling out a on the spot salvia test, initially aimed at kids due to low quantity, then the general population. 

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

Color me surprised, not. Temperature as a diagnostic is promoted because it is easy and cheap, not because it is effective. Since my early 20s, my oral temp has been between 97.0F and 98.0F, regardless of health. Including bouts of the flu, head colds, numerous bouts of bronchitis, pneumonia (chest film looked like I took a 1 oz load of #9 shot to the chest), food poisoning, etc.

I know, right? Who would've thought that you can't sieve very well with a tennis racquet.  There's a Freakanomics podcast about how 98.5 became the standard temperature. Plot twist, completely arbitrary after an experiment done in the late 19th century with axillary temps. 

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

This whole pre-screening before performing a PCR test, IMHO, has literally killed people. Trying to conserve test kits is insane.

Use em if ya got em.  Demand more, the economy will appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, Colin said:

Our provincial health authority is rolling out a on the spot salvia test, initially aimed at kids due to low quantity, then the general population. 

Back-asswards.  pediatric contraction and survival rates fly nap of the earth.  It should be for the most vulnerable. 

4 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

I know, right? Who would've thought that you can't sieve very well with a tennis racquet.  There's a Freakanomics podcast about how 98.5 became the standard temperature. Plot twist, completely arbitrary after an experiment done in the late 19th century with axillary temps. 

Use em if ya got em.  Demand more, the economy will appreciate it. 

Back-asswards.  pediatric contraction and survival rates fly nap of the earth.  It should be for the most vulnerable. 

Not really with kids now going to school, that is the most likely source of infection and they are offering free swabs at drivein stations as well. Plus keeping a close eye on hospitals and long term care homes. The salvia test is easier for kids.

4 hours ago, Stefan Fredriksson said:

Stolen picture, but quite telling of the attitude then and now - for me too.

The text says: "Me with patients with possible corona in April vs September."

20200919_103112.jpg

With my health, I've had a lot of contact with medical professionals and I have to say the old saying "masks can be harmful, only medical professionals have the training to properly use them" is a bunch of bunk. Medical professionals are just as sloppy with their masks as anyone else, constantly touching them as they move around, falling below their nose. It's laughable.

One of the Youtube videos I watched back in the April/May timeframe (IIRC) had some ER clinician talking about the face touching thing. He said that the worst people for touching their face in the hospital setting were residents. Some ridiculous stat, like hundreds of touches per hour.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8750139/Scientists-claim-UK-covid-19-victims-July-August-died-causes.html

The study shows that people who may have died from cancer or who were run over and killed, but who had tested positive for coronavirus, were included among the virus deaths even though it did not kill them.

My wife has been talking to her sister and friend who are both doctors in Malaysia. The friend who is treating Covid patients all days says that even those with mild symptoms show heart irregularities and they are going to worry about the long term impact on the healthcare system in the future when all these people age and they start having heart problems thanks to Covid. 

The picture was not about the lacking handling of masks, but the change in attitude among healthcare-workers towards the risks of covid.

Heard from training-partner that one hospital in Stockholm-area recently went down to 0 covid-patients in ICU, from being jampacked 3 months ago.

Apparently one hospital (KS) here will also be opening up for taking in foreign (EU?) ECMO-patients with covid.

9 hours ago, Colin said:

My wife has been talking to her sister and friend who are both doctors in Malaysia. The friend who is treating Covid patients all days says that even those with mild symptoms show heart irregularities and they are going to worry about the long term impact on the healthcare system in the future when all these people age and they start having heart problems thanks to Covid. 

I wonder if that is due to:

• heart muscles being damaged directly by infection and T-cell activity,
  • arterial thrombosis,
  • brain damage from microstrokes?

6 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

I wonder if that is due to:

• heart muscles being damaged directly by infection and T-cell activity,
  • arterial thrombosis,
  • brain damage from microstrokes?

It could easily be all of those.  My aunt is still shaking off the poat infectious syndrome. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8753923/Cancer-patients-betrayal-surgery-treatments-cancelled-NHS-battling-pandemic.html

Cancer patients' coronavirus betrayal: NHS surgery and treatments were cancelled – and some people were even told to go PRIVATE - as NHS turned its focus to battling the pandemic

•  Patients had vital operations cancelled and missed out on potentially life- saving treatments because tackling Covid-19 had become the sole focus of the NHS
  •  Experts fear the number of people dying as a result of delays triggered by the treatment of Covid patients could end up being responsible for as many deaths as the pandemic itself
  •  Almost 2.5million patients missed out on cancer screening, referrals or treatment during lockdown

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanonc/PIIS1470-2045(20)30391-0.pdf

This hybrid system is now in disarray due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Two main changes have arisen as a consequence of the lockdown in the UK. First, patients are frightened, especially older patients and those with existing health conditions. Many are shielding by minimising interactions between themselves and others and staying home as much as possible, and are encouraged to do so. At the same time, the UK National Health Service (NHS) rapidly switched its comprehensive health care to one almost entirely focused on care for patients with COVID-19. Cancer screening was suspended in late March, 2020 (leaving around 8500 patients with a positive colorectal screening test, and a cancer risk of around 10%, uninvestigated);4patients are consulting face-to-face in primary care much less frequently (although telephone consultations have largely replaced these consultations),5 and fewer 2-week-wait referrals are being made.6,7