Because, America

Mr King

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone watch Live PD or Southern Law? There are some pretty dumb people out there.

No, but I have seen ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, and PBS. Pretty much the same results.

They are even dumber than those. The cops have the patience of saints trying to deal with people.

It's surprising how many people drive with no license, expired licenses, expired tags, no insurance, and then give officers grief over these facts.

Last month I saw a car on the freeway in Alabama that had only three tires.
I guess you don’t see many Reliant Robins in Alabama.

The stories I could tell. Every time I have said: "I have seen it all, it can't get any wierder, it does, and I am left going Oh.My.God!"

There is a Texas deputy, who keeps a blog, and wrote a book about his law enforcement experiences.

One of his stories.

(...)

I settled down under a tree, and lined up on a gap in the hedge near the house. My plan was to wait until the critter was well up to the house, before dashing through the hedge and arresting him.I'm bellied down under the tree and I wait. And wait. And wait.

Along about 1AM, an armadillo wanders up from the orchard behind the house where he's been feeding on fermenting apricots all night, and bounces off my foot.

I hear the question now: How did I know it was a 'he' armadillo? Simple kids. The drunken little sod promptly, and aggressively, fell in love with my left boot.

(...)

I've net Lawdog, he's part of a coterie of a close circle of gun bloggers I associate with. He's a might interesting fellow. He was at LibertyCon this past June. I missed it but Thursday many of the authors were doing a "no shit there I was" story telling to the early attendees out on the smoking/drinking patio. Lawdog told his Pink Gorilla Suit story which had everyone on their sides and the remaining story tellers grumbling about how they couldn't top that. Old NFO is also very good people. Peter Grant is also part of this same circle. Both Peter and LawDog spent time in Africa. Peter was born there, Lawdog was just there for a while. I think Old NFO did some aviation work there too.

Edited by rmgill

When I started my law enforcement career lo these many years ago, it was a different world. We had to purchase everything except our shotgun, and patrol car. We had to buy our badges (no two were the same mostly), guns (again no two were the same), uniforms (tan and brown), boots (cowboy, NOT tactical), hats (straw for summer, felt for winter in silverbelly color), etc. Pay was a munificent $6.48/hour then jumping to an amazing $8.48/hour ($12.50/hour for side jobs). Our cars had a radio, siren, cage, and lightbar. After the first few months most of the lightbars were held together with duct tape because they kept falling apart. It was considered normal to be running to a hot call and for your lightbar to fall apart (you would stop, pick up the intact bits, and keep going). We had the Sheriff, a Chief investigator, two investigators, two civil process deputies, one warrants/transport deputies, 17 patrol deputies (3 Sgts., and 3 Cpls.), and two bailiffs. If we had four deputies on a night it was a GOOD night, most nights it was 2-3. We depended on the Texas Highway Patrol, and Constables for backup on really bad calls (and we had a lot of them). We worked 8-4, 4-midnight, midnight to 8 shifts five days a week.

You learned to talk to people (a skill sadly lost by the younger generation) unless you wanted to fight a lot. We had many bars, and Friday and Saturday night bar fights were a social event. I learned early on, let them finish fighting, and take the loser to the hospital, and the winner to jail after they were tired (since it was usually just you and maybe one other deputy who could make the fight). No one got killed, no one was really hurt badly, a social event. SWAT was whatever deputies were on duty. We had a plywood shield. Reports were written on an old UNIX system (which actually was pretty decent). Most nights you had one dispatcher, maybe two, and if a certain one was dispatching, if she thought you were not "busy" enough, you got sent to imaginary livestock calls, suspicious vehicle calls, and such. One deputy, who is now a lieutenant, retaliated by going to Walmart, and running every license plate in the parking lot till she called a truce. I learned early on if you could get them laughing, they would not fight you, and if you let them listen to their radio station on the way to the jail the next time you dealt with them they were less likely to want to fight.

My first Christmas on, I was shocked to be told to go by the local funeral home and get my bottle. This funeral home gave every deputy and municipal officer a bottle of either crown royal or canadian club whiskey every year for Christmas. Friday night "Safety meetings" where all the office staff met in the Sheriff's Office for an adult libation. Having to learn to herd cattle in a patrol car (I am a city boy, or was), getting razzed for asking the difference between a Brangus bull and a Santa Gertrudis bull (I am a city boy). Calling for a deer which has been hit by a car, and hearing the volunteer fire department be on the way to butcher it for meat for their sausage supper fund raiser. Going to an old timers house, and hearing German being spoken. Walking into houses where there are roaches crawling in the crib of a deceased infant. Going to various novel and inventive suicides, having to then make the death notification (I hated doing this, I always felt awkward since we seldom had enough answers for the family, especially if it was an out of county death). Trying to stop the bleeding on a 14 year old girl who was ejected from a wreck and then the car rolled over her legs, and know that no matter what I did, it was just not going to be enough (she did live though, a miracle). Just normal stuff for a day in the life of a rural deputy sheriff.

We had no policies, nor procedures, and few rules. The rules I started under are:

1) Don't lie (especially not to the Sheriff).

2) When the handcuffs go on, the hands better go off.

3) Use your common sense.

Things I have heard on the radio from other deputies and troopers:

"S.O. (Sheriff's Office), This SOB is not stopping (he was in a pursuit with a stolen car)!"

(A trooper at a wreck who just watched a rubbernecker wreck out): "Way to go d**khead!)

(A trooper in a pursuit): "I've got two camel-jockeys in a stolen BMW doing about 130 headed your way, I'm a coming after them".

"Who is that dumb motherf**ker driving up here (An impatient person who disregarded the order to stop at a wreck of an 18-wheeler that had blocked the entire interstate). Again from a Trooper (this guy was legendary)

"Aw Sh*t!" (right after my corporal wrecked out on the icy interstate).

"S.O, I've got a full moon in the middle of the road" (When I found a drunk passed out in the middle of a county road with his pants around his ankles and his butt in the air)

"Can you come back to the jail, that prisoner you just booked is trying to bite the jailers". (Right after I booked this guy for PI (Public Intoxication), and left he dropped to all fours, started foaming at the mouth, barking, and tried to bite the jailers. They eventually handled him before I could get back to the jail and get inside the booking area).

These rules have stood me in good stead my whole career. Now we have radars, laptops, gps, SWAT, lots of deputies, 10 investigators, video cameras, recorders, computers, and a whole generation of millenials who have NO COMMON SENSE, and are unable to speak with people (they can text like a fiend though). Lordy, I miss the old days. And I would not trade it for anything else in this world, I have great memories of the last 25 years, and I think I have helped people and treated folks right.

We were rotating shifts, and so we covered seven days a week. And we covered the smaller municipalities whose police departments shut down at ten p.m. Friday and Saturday nights were normally rather...lively.

We worked 8-4, 4-midnight, midnight to 8 shifts five days a week.

What happened on weekends, was crime polite enough to shut down until Monday back then? :ph34r:

Ah okay, sorta what I recall from doing a school internship with local police 30 years ago - the model was there's actually four shifts personnel-wise, so each works about five out of the 21 in a week.

I've always been interested in how the real small Longmire-style SOs in rural American counties manage it.

Some may have only one or two deputies on duty in the deep night for the entire county. Backup is the other deputy and hopefully and locals who are nearby. In US Rural areas the locals tend not to be entirely helpless either. Even today, in rural parts of the country even state police will be out on the ass end of a county or state with no backup for 30 minutes or more away. They consider bystanders their hopefully closest backup.

So true. Backup was often 15-30 minutes away, so you had to learn to talk to people. But you also needed to be able to fight, and fight dirty if the need arose all the while remembering, the objective was for the bad guy to go to jail, and you to go home. As for citizens, we responded to a break in progress in a very rural part of the county one night. When we arrived, we found grandma sitting on the porch swing with her double barrel shotgun pointing at a miscreant who was laying on the ground with somewhat....soiled pants. He tried to break in, and the old lady fired both barrels of the shotgun through the door. She missed. He, fell down, and had some splinters from the door, and was screaming bloody murder that he had been kilt, kilt I tell you. She reloaded, and sat on the porch with her cigarette, and coffee covering him till we got there. He went to jail, and the moral of the story is don't mess with 70+ year old German women who have shotguns. She offered us some strudel, and coffee. We had to decline. She passed away about 15 years ago, while drinking her coffee at the dinner table.

Some may have only one or two deputies on duty in the deep night for the entire county. Backup is the other deputy and hopefully and locals who are nearby. In US Rural areas the locals tend not to be entirely helpless either. Even today, in rural parts of the country even state police will be out on the ass end of a county or state with no backup for 30 minutes or more away. They consider bystanders their hopefully closest backup.

US nuclear weapons killed far more at home than abroad - is it true? Including John Wayne?

English language sources linked in the Hungarian language article: [1] [2] [3]

I'm sure smoking three packs a day for decades had nothing to do with his lung cancer.
Filming the movie "Genghis Khan" didn't help

When I started my law enforcement career lo these many years ago, it was a different world.

i had a friend who went to soviet police school in late 80´s, then became equivalent of detective. i lived in tartu, city of 100-110 000 people back then. he was criminal police representative for part of the city ( for about 35-40000 people, including former soviet strategic bomber base and it´s associated people, who did not went back to russia) - he, his partner (former heavyweight lifter) and secretary. office was converted apartment, holding cell was former bathroom , and amongst other stuff that accumulated over years was SA-7/Strela surface-air missile (minus warhead ) that some military pensioner had retired with and tried to sell somewhere.

of course the city center was maybe 3-4 km. from his office and backup was quick to come , but still, the sheer number of cases he had to see through .... that was the wild early 90´s, when estonia was for some time in world top 10 (IIRC) murders per 1000 people....

back then most policemen drank like fishes, he´s partner slept with makarov under pillow etc....

Cops here tend to drink, that is for sure, so perhaps that is a universal constant? After my last Mexican Mafia case, I don't take out the trash without a gun on.

When I started my law enforcement career lo these many years ago, it was a different world.

i had a friend who went to soviet police school in late 80´s, then became equivalent of detective. i lived in tartu, city of 100-110 000 people back then. he was criminal police representative for part of the city ( for about 35-40000 people, including former soviet strategic bomber base and it´s associated people, who did not went back to russia) - he, his partner (former heavyweight lifter) and secretary. office was converted apartment, holding cell was former bathroom , and amongst other stuff that accumulated over years was SA-7/Strela surface-air missile (minus warhead ) that some military pensioner had retired with and tried to sell somewhere.

of course the city center was maybe 3-4 km. from his office and backup was quick to come , but still, the sheer number of cases he had to see through .... that was the wild early 90´s, when estonia was for some time in world top 10 (IIRC) murders per 1000 people....

back then most policemen drank like fishes, he´s partner slept with makarov under pillow etc....

Sheriff's Offices and Police departments are similar but have some differences. We have a Civil division which serves papers for the court, most PDs do not. We have a Patrol Division, Criminal Investigations Division, Civil Division, Court Security Division, and the Jail Division.

Police organisation in different countries is a favorite topic of mine. In fact I'll launch a new thread for comparative debate.

The RADIOOOOO app has been censored and removed from all Google stores! This puritanical madness has reached a new interesting level… Yes, you may have perhaps noticed, once you zoom in 3 times into our map that a little mermaid has been drawn, perched on her rock. And we didn’t give her a bra… Trump’s America and it’s puritanical thinking armed with their insanity and technological monopole have cut off access to our application. An app that encourages curiosity, to open up to our world and to promote culture in all it’s beauty and splendor. This app therefor disappears from all the Android phones of the world. But that’s not all that disappears. What disappears with it too, is our freedom. To create, and to see the world a certain way.

Welcome to a dark and horrible world.

48270788_2283218285022662_91768154804243

Source

Radiooooo.com is an internet radio where one can filter programs by place and decade.

The RADIOOOOO app has been censored and removed from all Google stores! This puritanical madness has reached a new interesting level… Yes, you may have perhaps noticed, once you zoom in 3 times into our map that a little mermaid has been drawn, perched on her rock. And we didn’t give her a bra… Trump’s America and it’s puritanical thinking armed with their insanity and technological monopole have cut off access to our application. An app that encourages curiosity, to open up to our world and to promote culture in all it’s beauty and splendor. This app therefor disappears from all the Android phones of the world. But that’s not all that disappears. What disappears with it too, is our freedom. To create, and to see the world a certain way.

Welcome to a dark and horrible world.

48270788_2283218285022662_91768154804243

Source

Radiooooo.com is an internet radio where one can filter programs by place and decade.

How does this involve "Trumps America" when the people responsible for all the puritanical fascism we are experiencing, are firmly and actively anti Trump and his voters?