Tanknet Authors (by popular request)

Dan Robertson

On 12/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, BansheeOne said:

Ken asked for my address some time ago to send me his "German Heavy Fighting Vehicles", and in a later mail advised generously that he had just shipped a total of six books for Dave Clark and me to share. So when the packet arrived, I just took out the top one to read directly. As can be expected, it's very interesting, though Ken rightly gripes that the publisher separated the picture spread of the Saumur Tiger II from the description of the walkthrough. As he has alluded to, this is the definitive fan service book for admirers of heavy German WW II AFVs.

Only when Dave showed up to collect his share I found that rather than six of these, Ken had packed two each of it, his "European Anabasis" on West European volunteers in the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS, and "We will not go to Tuapse" by former Walloon volunteer Fernand Kaisergruber, which he edited. If I thought "German Heavy Fighting Vehicles" interesting, I found it hard to put "European Anabasis" down. Part of that is probably that I'm more interested in the subject, but then this is straight the best book I've seen on it - both encompassing and detailed while still reasonably compact, drawing on lots of personal interview with veterans over the years, and above all well-written, a rare combination.

Many thanks again, Ken. I still have to broach "We will not go to Tuapse".

"We will not go to Tuapse" is gritty, not light reading in a pandemic, and rings true

"European Anabasis" explodes incidentaly many myths surrounding the legions sent to the East

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings all, I've been away for a few years doing other things but have at last completed work on a new book which may be of interest to some here:

Autocannon: a History of Automatic Cannon and their Ammunition

It covers similar ground to my first book, Rapid Fire, but in much more detail. Publishing date uncertain, but early next year.

Very much, and I wish he was around when Simon and I found an 20mm (presumably) English Oerlikon gun with a German barrel, marked MG151 with Waffenamt stamp and all that, in Kuala Lumpur's Royal Malaysian Police Museum.

I think this is the weapon in question:

ttd_1515412195m2.jpg

ttd_1515412194m1.jpg

Edited by sunday

11 hours ago, sunday said:

Very much, and I wish he was around when Simon and I found an 20mm (presumably) English Oerlikon gun with a German barrel, marked MG151 with Waffenamt stamp and all that, in Kuala Lumpur's Royal Malaysian Police Museum.

I think this is the weapon in question:

ttd_1515412195m2.jpg

ttd_1515412194m1.jpg

Now that I've never seen or heard of. It would need a technical expert from somewhere like the National Firearms Centre in Leeds to sort out!

36 minutes ago, sunday said:

Off course, It could be a museum-grade kludge...

My thought as well; the barrel in that muzzle shot looks rather thin, almost like a shotgun.

Edited by shep854

• 2 months later...

My new book, which may be of interest to Tanknet people:

The Supersonic BONE is a comprehensive history of the B-1 bomber from its origins in the 1950 until its impending retirement. The lavishly illustrated with hundreds of high-quality images. Approximately 45 interviews and numerous primary documents make this book a goldmine of information not available elsewhere.

There is 30% discount on my book for friends. The code for the discount is KATZ30 and applies to orders before April 30 at the American distributor's website. The book should be available in the United States in late April.

For those of you whom it would be more advantageous to order from the publisher in the UK, the discount code is AUTH30 for a 30% discount to any Pen & Sword titles featured on its website, including my book. The book currently is available in the UK.
https://penandswordbooks.com/the-supersonic-bone.html

Supersonic BONE cover.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tony Williams said:

Greetings all, I've been away for a few years doing other things but have at last completed work on a new book which may be of interest to some here:

Autocannon: a History of Automatic Cannon and their Ammunition

It covers similar ground to my first book, Rapid Fire, but in much more detail. Publishing date uncertain, but early next year.

It's now on sale!

On 3/1/2022 at 2:54 AM, Kenneth P. Katz said:

My new book, which may be of interest to Tanknet people:

The Supersonic BONE is a comprehensive history of the B-1 bomber from its origins in the 1950 until its impending retirement. The lavishly illustrated with hundreds of high-quality images. Approximately 45 interviews and numerous primary documents make this book a goldmine of information not available elsewhere.

Just bought it, I look forward to read it.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:39 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

Note if you are in the EU, and you order from Amazon UK (or any other non-EU country), you will have to pay import tax of 19% (above the normal VAT in the UK or elsewhere), plus a handling fee (I think it's 6€ per transaction) for the Post for kindling handling (unasked) the import tax for you. So do try and buy it from a German provider. Quicker delivery, too.

This definitely put an end to the cheap, used $1 pocket books from the US. 😢

--
Leo

TBH, for me it's business expense with the resulting tax credit, so my price-response curve is relatively inelastic. If it's a book of at least remote interest, I'll probably buy it, possibly several copies to give away to programmers and artists.

Still, I can't help but notice that since Brexit the number of British book suppliers has shrunk substantially. It doesn't seem to be actual taxes, but the heavy load of paperwork that is involved.

FEX, eSim Games no longer sells classic licenses to the UK since the taxable value of such a transaction is maybe 30 GBP. For each such sale we'd have to pay British VAT/import tax, short of 20%. We could claim a refund at the end of a year, but for that the US Shop would have to make a British tax declaration and set up a VAT account in the UK.

The result is, we're not doing this at all, and offer software rental licenses instead. Immaterial goods are exempt from import taxation.

I bet there's thousands of similar cases. All small and not very significant, but it adds up. BoJo once said, "fuck business", and that's precisely what he did.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:20 PM, Ssnake said:

Still, I can't help but notice that since Brexit the number of British book suppliers has shrunk substantially. It doesn't seem to be actual taxes, but the heavy load of paperwork that is involved.....

The result is, we're not doing this at all, and offer software rental licenses instead. Immaterial goods are exempt from import taxation.

This presumably accounts for the fact that Crowood are also selling Autocannon as an e-book (first time they've done that, as far as I know).

Yes, a number of UK publishers have started embracing that. Big military textbooks seem to be falling out of favour with here (although judging by how the upstairs floors are groaning under my bookcases, this is perhaps not a wholly negative thing). Even Osprey seem to be available far quicker as Ebooks than I ever see them in even fairly large bookshops.