Tanknet Authors (by popular request)

Dan Robertson

For some strange reason, I just ordered a book from England, which delivered directly to my door by DHL (i.e. the German Package Post), with no import duty or handling fee! Perhaps because it is a "literature" book?
("One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.)

--
Leo

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Leo Niehorster said:

For some strange reason, I just ordered a book from England, which delivered directly to my door by DHL (i.e. the German Package Post), with no import duty or handling fee! Perhaps because it is a "literature" book?

--
Leo

The quotes around literature are well placed 😄

But you could have ordered the Spanish original from here.

Of course. I award quotes to the "Nobel Peace prize for Literature" as well. 🤮

But I do need an occasional dose of "literature", (have to keep my coffee table looking cultured), but I don't want to over do and read it in the original language. 😉

--
Leo

40 minutes ago, Leo Niehorster said:

--
Leo

I read it when I was in school and I was truly impressed by it. The influence it has had in Spanish literature and culture is huge.

17 hours ago, Leo Niehorster said:

--
Leo

Maybe this?

https://europeanbooksellers.eu/press/updated-eu-vat-rules-little-0-vat-printed-books-and-e-books

17 hours ago, Leo Niehorster said:

Unfortunately, it states "... all EU Member States ...", and, unfortunately, so not the UK.

--
Leo

The UK has zero VAT on books unless they're designed to be written in/ drawn on.

Duty would be paid at the border according to the destination country rules. Of course, it's also possible to add a separate import tariff if there isn't a proper trade agreement, but that would be EU wide, I think.