Armor of Ukraine

Harkonnen

26 minutes ago, bojan said:

This.

That is one of my favorite myths, totally unfounded in practice. It actually took way longer to train T-55 gunners to a satisfactory level. than it took to train ones on M-84s, because... FCS. T-72s also requires less maintenance than T-55. MTBF for a lot of parts is greater. Etc, etc.

In 1976 Soviet Army organised a comparison between T-62, T-64, T-72, and T-80. The average time spent in maintenance per 1,000 kms was in hours:

T-80: 8.16
T-72: 13.03
T-64A: 11.06
T-62: 22.12

http://alejandro-8.blogspot.com/2021/03/pruebas-comparativas-entre-el-t-62-t-64.html

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

In 1976 Soviet Army organised a comparison between T-62, T-64, T-72, and T-80. The average time spent in maintenance per 1,000 kms was in hours:

http://alejandro-8.blogspot.com/2021/03/pruebas-comparativas-entre-el-t-62-t-64.html

I would rather say that T-62 and older tanks are not hard to learn and maintain but that T-72 and newer tanks are easier to learn and maintain

7 hours ago, Perun said:

I would rather say that T-62 and older tanks are not hard to learn and maintain but that T-72 and newer tanks are easier to learn and maintain

Yes, as Bojan mentioned, training a T-55 gunner is harder because everything is manual. If you have a M-84 with a more advanced Fire Control System everything is more integrated.

BTR-60PB with BMD-2 turret. Base vehicle looks like it might even be civilian conversion (no armored shutters for front windows, and there is side window):

FXkJLBVWYA8aJ7X?format=jpg&name=medium

This BTR is certainly not suitable for fighting. No armor flaps in front of the viewing windows. No sight prism for commander an driver. Firing ports welded shut. Then why should the turret be rotatable? 😉

The T-72 exhibited at Patriot Park in Kubinka has a 6TD engine. See exhaust in the back for the hull and not the side.

Roman, have you seen the display? Any change you can have a look inside?

May be an image of 4 people and outdoors

On 7/12/2022 at 1:12 AM, alejandro_ said:

Thanks for the information. 

19 hours ago, TonyE said:

Knocked out Krab:

Probably ran over anti tank mine, which damaged suspension immobilizing vehicle, and cause fire, which later reached ammunition racks that exploded.

No way to tell with only this video, but there is no visible hole in the ground on the side shown.

1 minute ago, bojan said:

No way to tell with only this video, but there is no visible hole in the ground on the side shown.

This is what sources here told. I won't argue if this is true or not. Vehicles armor is not designed to withstand direct shots like any SPH, so result is nothing unexpected.

Ukrainian TV report on PzH 2000, also showing some light damage (from counter battery fire?).

Meanwhile Ukraine is reported to have received the first three Gepard SPAAGs. I'm particularly interested to see how the old firehose does in real combat.

People here are making a lot of German assent to delivery of ten Spanish Leopard 2, and how those will enable Ukrainian breakthrough operations ... I think that's just a tad optimistic.

10 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

Ukrainian TV report on PzH 2000, also showing some light damage (from counter battery fire?).

Meanwhile Ukraine is reported to have received the first three Gepard SPAAGs. I'm particularly interested to see how the old firehose does in real combat.

People here are making a lot of German assent to delivery of ten Spanish Leopard 2, and how those will enable Ukrainian breakthrough operations ... I think that's just a tad optimistic.

From what I read the 10 Leo 2s are actually going to Poland, which is transferring at least that number of PT-91s to Ukraine.

Probably BS but worth mentioning. Someone in twitter claimed that this came from a BMP gun, but I can't see any component that looks similar. Any ideas of what could this be?

Imagen