History of Soviet tanks

Harkonnen

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Tim Sielbeck said:

Doesn't sound as painful as the two Chieftans I saw when I was stationed in Germany.

The Chieftain, like the Bradley and MLRS, the M110 and M578, all sound as if they are woefully underpowered and need every last rev they can muster so that their vehicle can move.  Not saying they are underpowered but, they sure sound like it.

15 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Some enthusiasts say a Chieftain engine (which is horizontally opposed like a T64 engine or so im told) sounds good, but Ive always thought they sounded like they were screaming in pain. A T64 to me sounds similarly afflicted.

I was just browsing archive.org, and found this presentation of a US Army operated T55 that had a detonation of a HEAT round in the tube, resulting in two fatalities. I know nothing more about this incident, but thought it was interesting enough to link to.

https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA532258/page/n33/mode/2up

The barrel only split, the injuries were burns from hot gasses escaping from the split.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KV7 said:

Apparently diesel, kerosene, and petrol are suitable.

I wonder how well any tank engine would cope with a mix of those three though.  Dare I ask if its ever been tried?

4 hours ago, Gavin-Phillips said:

I wonder how well any tank engine would cope with a mix of those three though.  Dare I ask if its ever been tried?

This is totally possible and grades of fuels like this are even in use. Eg. there are US jet fuels with 6 to 15 carbon atoms, spanning the petrol and kerosene range.

The US used various 'wide cut' jet fuels like JP-1 and JP-3, JP-3 in particular included a lot of very volatile components like hexane which evaporated readily in warm temperatures. JP-4 was then favored which is a straight 50/50 gasoline-kerosene blend. JP-8 spans the kerosene-Diesel range.

GTD-1250 will only have difficulties if you start mixing in extremely heavy fuels like number 5 or 6 fuel oil, or in Russian vernacular, 'furnace mazut'.

Edited by KV7

22 hours ago, KV7 said:

This is totally possible and grades of fuels like this are even in use. Eg. there are US jet fuels with 6 to 15 carbon atoms, spanning the petrol and kerosene range.

The US used various 'wide cut' jet fuels like JP-1 and JP-3, JP-3 in particular included a lot of very volatile components like hexane which evaporated readily in warm temperatures. JP-4 was then favored which is a straight 50/50 gasoline-kerosene blend. JP-8 spans the kerosene-Diesel range.

GTD-1250 will only have difficulties if you start mixing in extremely heavy fuels like number 5 or 6 fuel oil, or in Russian vernacular, 'furnace mazut'.

Thank you for the explanation. 

• 3 weeks later...

When did they get it and where? I have heard conflicting stories - Iran, Romania and Libya?

Edited by bojan

Possible, they also sold them some technical drawings for IAR-93/J-22 which evolved into much larger JH-7... Strange things were going there.

Romania also sold spare parts for T-54/55 to Israel, as did Yugoslavia.

Edited by bojan

3 hours ago, bojan said:

Possible, they also sold them some technical drawings for IAR-93/J-22 which evolved into much larger JH-7... Strange things were going there.

Romania also sold spare parts for T-54/55 to Israel, as did Yugoslavia.

Ceacescu marking differences with the Soviets, the Romanians had a cooperation project with the evil West, including Puma helicopters and BAe-125s

I am well aware of that, at one moment Yugoslavia considered buying those from Romania, but bad experience with IAR-93/J-22 cooperation put an end to it.

Still, exporting "newest and greatest" Soviet tank to a China is a strange thing for a WP nation.