tanknet.org

History of Soviet tanks

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there's been such alot of interest in the Sprut-SD vehicle (both for and against its existence), I thought I'd add this video clip of it and add a quickfire question as well.

2S25 Sprut-SD on the firing range

My question is; there's a tubular feature on the rear of the vehicle just above the two BMD-style waterjets.  The stub casing of the 125mm round is actually sitting on top of it at one point.  What is this feature?  Obviously not an unditching beam!  I don't think I've yet seen a Sprut with one of those.

17 minutes ago, Gavin-Phillips said:

Since there's been such alot of interest in the Sprut-SD vehicle (both for and against its existence), I thought I'd add this video clip of it and add a quickfire question as well.

2S25 Sprut-SD on the firing range

My question is; there's a tubular feature on the rear of the vehicle just above the two BMD-style waterjets.  The stub casing of the 125mm round is actually sitting on top of it at one point.  What is this feature?  Obviously not an unditching beam!  I don't think I've yet seen a Sprut with one of those.

Fording gear?

6 minutes ago, KV7 said:

Is it a snorkel for use in choppy water ? Swimming onto beaches etc. ?

Could be a snorkel I suppose.  I've had a look through some pictures which clearly show the rear hull of the 2S25 and it does appear that not all vehicles have it fitted.  

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Gavin-Phillips said:

Could be a snorkel I suppose.  I've had a look through some pictures which clearly show the rear hull of the 2S25 and it does appear that not all vehicles have it fitted.  

Thanks.

Apparently it is good for up to sea state 3. In that case waves will wash over the engine deck, and so a snorkel will presumably be needed.

Just now, KV7 said:

Apparently it is good for up to sea state 3. In that case waves will wash over the engine deck, and so a snorkel will presumably be needed.

Makes sense.  Thank you.

14 hours ago, Jim Warford said:

Here's another video showing what is probably the actual amount of recoil force absorbed by the 2S25 when firing the main gun (go to about 3 mins in): 

I wonder if there are rules about firing over the hull sides...

As bumpy a ride that must be when firing, I doubt its as bad as being a member of an M551 Sheridan's crew when doing the same.  I've seen videos of those firing and pretty sure all but 2 of the roadwheels actually lift off the ground during the recoil?  Scary. 😲 Then again, I suppose any light-weight chassis with a decent sized gun would be more or less the same.  SK105 Kurassier, Chinese Type 15, etc.

Found this rather interesting video clip on youtube. a brief history and overview of the KV-series of heavy tanks.  Some nice footage on there.  One serious interesting note is a picture of a T-28 being used as a testbed for torsion bar suspension?  Not something I've heard of before.

A brief history of the KV heavy tank

On 10/5/2020 at 8:17 PM, Gavin-Phillips said:

I wonder if there are rules about firing over the hull sides...

As bumpy a ride that must be when firing, I doubt its as bad as being a member of an M551 Sheridan's crew when doing the same.  I've seen videos of those firing and pretty sure all but 2 of the roadwheels actually lift off the ground during the recoil?  Scary. 😲 Then again, I suppose any light-weight chassis with a decent sized gun would be more or less the same.  SK105 Kurassier, Chinese Type 15, etc.

Type 15 is anything but light. Plus cannon is much weaker.