weird news

Ivanhoe

How's this for wired news.. being more active in the FFZ than the rest of the board combined despite the board inherently supposedly centered on military stuff and tanks :)

Start a which is the better pistol round; the .45ACP or the 9mm :o ?

Which is the better tank; the Abrams, Leopard, the latest T-something :huh:?

Promise to respond in it even if just as a former sailor, and I'll do it :)

:D The best pistol round is the .45 ACP. Bigger is better :ninja:

The best tank is the latest T something as it causes armies all over the West to badger their governments for more money to build a better tank than the latest T-something ^_^

Too easy without context!

:)

Edited by JasonJ

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How's this for wired news.. being more active in the FFZ than the rest of the board combined despite the board inherently supposedly centered on military stuff and tanks :)

The best tank is the latest T something as it causes armies all over the West to badger their governments for more money to build a better tank than the latest T-something ^_^

Too easy without context!

No context needed :P

Too easy without context! :)

No context needed :P

Ahhhh, I started getting ideas for a guuuuuuuuud one.

Shot down like a dummy drone by S-400.

もったいない

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7928891/Chicago-police-say-stole-weed-cannabis-amnesty-box-Midway-airport.html

Someone stole weed from one of the blue cannabis boxes placed at the Midway International Airport in Chicago on Monday, according to local police.

The weed was stolen at approximately 6pm on Monday just hours after someone had dropped it off in the box, the Chicago Tribune reports.

'Tampering with them, or attempting to remove anything placed inside, is a crime,' said Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. He added that police are investigating the incident.

Following the legalization of recreational marijuana in Illinois earlier this month, 'Cannabis Amnesty Boxes' were placed across both Midway and O'Hare International Airport.

With all the security (or to be honest, security theater) at airports, it boggles my mind that anyone would pack for a trip and include some weed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7928891/Chicago-police-say-stole-weed-cannabis-amnesty-box-Midway-airport.html

Someone stole weed from one of the blue cannabis boxes placed at the Midway International Airport in Chicago

With all the security (or to be honest, security theater) at airports, it boggles my mind that anyone would pack for a trip and include some weed.

You mean, because it's all non-smoking flights these days?

No (though there is that issue as well). Just because a state may have reduced the level of laws doesn't mean there's no risk. Feds have a drug-sniffing dog looking for heroin or whatever, dog hits on Joe Pothead's carry-on bag, badness ensues.

Iranian factory makes Israeli and American flags to burn
The factory produces about 2,000 US and Israeli flags a month in its busiest periods, and more than 1.5 million square feet of flags a year.
By REUTERS JANUARY 30, 2020 06:05

KHOMEIN, Iran - Business is booming at Iran's largest flag factory which makes US, British and Israeli flags for Iranian protesters to burn.

At the factory in the town of Khomein, southwest of the capital Tehran, young men and women print the flags by hand then hang them up to dry. The factory produces about 2,000 US and Israeli flags a month in its busiest periods, and more than 1.5 million square feet of flags a year.

Continued at: https://www.jpost.com/International/Iranian-factory-makes-Israeli-and-American-flags-to-burn-615902

Iranian factory makes Israeli and American flags to burn

The factory produces about 2,000 US and Israeli flags a month in its busiest periods, and more than 1.5 million square feet of flags a year.

By REUTERS JANUARY 30, 2020 06:05

KHOMEIN, Iran - Business is booming at Iran's largest flag factory which makes US, British and Israeli flags for Iranian protesters to burn.

At the factory in the town of Khomein, southwest of the capital Tehran, young men and women print the flags by hand then hang them up to dry. The factory produces about 2,000 US and Israeli flags a month in its busiest periods, and more than 1.5 million square feet of flags a year.

Continued at: https://www.jpost.com/International/Iranian-factory-makes-Israeli-and-American-flags-to-burn-615902

There goes my business idea to sell impregnated flags with a match in a package. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Date 19.09.2019

Black panther spotted prowling French rooftops

A black panther that was seen roaming rooftops near the French city of Lille has been captured. The juvenile big cat appeared to have escaped from a private home.

Emergency services were called out in the northern French town of Armentieres, after being alerted to the fact that a young panther was having an evening on the tiles.

Bemused onlookers in the town, not far from the Belgian border, had spotted the feline slinking along the rafters of a three-story red brick building.

According to the regional newspaper La Voix du Nord, the panther stopped occasionally to watch a train pass or a cat strutting on the pavement below.

Authorities were alerted, and police threw up a cordon around the building before the ink-black cat slipped through a window to an apartment believed to belong to its owner.

There, a team was able to trap the panther and a veterinarian put it to sleep with a tranquilizer dart. After being put into a cage, the animal was handed over to the care of France's Animal Protection League, who described it as "a baby" and "not at all aggressive."

During its escapade, the panther entered another flat where a 15-year-old girl saw it descending the stairs. La Voix du Nord reported that the teenager believed she had been hallucinating after having medication for the removal of wisdom teeth.

The six-month-old female cat — about the small size of a labarador and weighing about 20 kilograms — was moved to a zoo in the town of Maubeuge on Thursday. She was set to stay for one or two days before being moved on to an animal sanctuary.

The animal's owner appeared to have escaped through the same window, possibly fearing arrest for illegal ownership of a wild animal.

Local media reported that two investigations were ongoing. One, by the police, is against the individual owner and is focused on the danger posed to members of the public. The other probe, by hunting and wildlife authorities, focuses on how the animal was acquired and the conditions in which it was kept.

https://www.dw.com/en/black-panther-spotted-prowling-french-rooftops/a-50501844

No One Can Explain Why Planes Stay in the Air

In Brief

On a strictly mathematical level, engineers know how to design planes that will stay aloft. But equations don't explain why aerodynamic lift occurs.
There are two competing theories that illuminate the forces and factors of lift. Both are incomplete explanations.
Aerodynamicists have recently tried to close the gaps in understanding. Still, no consensus exists.

The article perpetuates the lie that vacuums suck, so scarcely manages to make itself seem convincing, and I'm not sure why they're getting so worked up about incompressible flow models that don't model compressible flows very well. Well, duh.

Nevertheless, it's quite true that the two presented explanations do not fully explain all the phenomena surrounding (aha!) an aerofoil. And it doesn't really matter much, as numerical modelling of airflows matches the reality well enough for wing designs to be very, very good indeed anyway. the gaps between theory,model and reality are why aerodynamics is interesting, and why aircraft keep improving as the understanding of compressible flows improves.

The article perpetuates the lie that vacuums suck, so scarcely manages to make itself seem convincing, and I'm not sure why they're getting so worked up about incompressible flow models that don't model compressible flows very well. Well, duh.

Nevertheless, it's quite true that the two presented explanations do not fully explain all the phenomena surrounding (aha!) an aerofoil. And it doesn't really matter much, as numerical modelling of airflows matches the reality well enough for wing designs to be very, very good indeed anyway. the gaps between theory,model and reality are why aerodynamics is interesting, and why aircraft keep improving as the understanding of compressible flows improves.

Yes, but if we really understood we could dominate levitation!

I think this gap has two practical consequences:

1) Nukes are developed in supercomputers while aircrafts developed in wind tunnels

2) Lack of sound mathematic model means it is impossible to prove a solution is optimal

I think this gap has two practical consequences:

1) Nukes are developed in supercomputers while aircrafts developed in wind tunnels

2) Lack of sound mathematic model means it is impossible to prove a solution is optimal

I can assure you that aircraft are designed in computers these days.

And the unsteady compressible Navier-Stokes equations are quite sound as far as mathematical models go.

The "problem" is that people are wanting a simple explanation to a complex phenomenon.

Amusingly, no mention of the Kutta condition in the article.

Ice volcanos erupt on Lake Michigan; women, minorities hardest hit;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/17/rare-ice-volcano-lake-michigan-beach-great-lakes/4784270002/

DETROIT – A recent cold front has brought some interesting phenomena to Lake Michigan: first ice balls, now ice volcanoes.

National Weather Service meteorologist Ernie Ostuno was able to capture some amazing photos of erupting ice volcanoes Sunday at Oval Beach in Saugatuck, Michigan.

An ice volcano is a cone-shaped mound of ice formed over a terrestrial lake by the eruption of water and slush through an ice shelf.

572a37a6-43d4-4e6a-a533-53110fd7279d-ice

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/22/hoodwinker-sunfish-discovery-north-america-citizen-scientists/4503250002/

A woman in Denmark has a chunk of a massive creature in her freezer, next to her peas. In New Zealand, a fisherman has pieces of the giant in a bottle of vodka. And in Alaska, a bush pilot hops in his seaplane to hunt down samples of the colossus, known to some as an enormous 4,000-pound floating head.

No, it's not the Loch Ness monster. And yes, it's safe to say that the behemoth that washed up on a beach in Southern California a year ago has created a worldwide furor. Scientists were shocked to find the weird fish – known as a "hoodwinker," or Mola tecta – in North America. When photos broke of the California find, fascination mounted around the globe.

c99766c4-8cb0-406f-a506-f17e54b78bd1-Tom

A morbidly obese woman, who Tenerife police are calling “one of the fattest” they’ve ever had in custody, was arrested on Friday after she smothered her boyfriend during a sex act.

Police reports claim that “Mary” (name changed to protect identity), 28, who weighs a staggering 423 pounds, was arrested after her boyfriend (“Joe”) was found dead her bedroom. Police say Mary called them after she smothered Joe to death during a “69.”

“He wanted me to go down on him, which is totally fine, but if he’s gonna get some, so am I,” said Mary. “In retrospect, it probably should have been at separate times. I got on top of him and we both started going to town. A few minutes later, when I was done, I realized he’d gone pretty limp, and I turned around and he was completely blue in the face.”

Although Mary says it was an accidental death, police took her into custody, saying that there’s “no way” Mary wouldn’t have known that her 423 pound form wasn’t going to completely cut off Joe’s air supply once she was sitting on her chest and covering his entire face with her massive girl-mound.

“We have reason to believe that this was not an accident, and we are looking at all angles,” said Police Chief Mario Cutler. “We learned that Joe had recently taken out a large life insurance policy, and Mary has been trying to save for liposuction for many years. She was the sole beneficiary on Joe’s policy. We suspect foul play. Very, very foul.”

As always, Florida;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/herpes-riddled-monkeys-rampage-humans-21574956

Monkeys infected with herpes who are running rampant in Florida are soon going to multiply out of control with attacks of humans expected to rise.

Rhesus macaques are on the rampage on the banks of the Silver River in Florida and are constantly breeding and expanding their range.

A morbidly obese woman, who Tenerife police are calling “one of the fattest” they’ve ever had in custody, was arrested on Friday after she smothered her boyfriend during a sex act.

Police reports claim that “Mary” (name changed to protect identity), 28, who weighs a staggering 423 pounds, was arrested after her boyfriend (“Joe”) was found dead her bedroom. Police say Mary called them after she smothered Joe to death during a “69.”

“He wanted me to go down on him, which is totally fine, but if he’s gonna get some, so am I,” said Mary. “In retrospect, it probably should have been at separate times. I got on top of him and we both started going to town. A few minutes later, when I was done, I realized he’d gone pretty limp, and I turned around and he was completely blue in the face.”

Although Mary says it was an accidental death, police took her into custody, saying that there’s “no way” Mary wouldn’t have known that her 423 pound form wasn’t going to completely cut off Joe’s air supply once she was sitting on her chest and covering his entire face with her massive girl-mound.

“We have reason to believe that this was not an accident, and we are looking at all angles,” said Police Chief Mario Cutler. “We learned that Joe had recently taken out a large life insurance policy, and Mary has been trying to save for liposuction for many years. She was the sole beneficiary on Joe’s policy. We suspect foul play. Very, very foul.”

:wacko: Grosses post of the year final winner. No further applications accepted.