Hans Strelow

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27332624_10159903265720483_3134995129573

Amusing, but we really need a map to break things down by grape, barley, or potato. And I guess rice if you expand the longitudinal axis far enough.

Rice was grown back in late 19th/early 20th century southern part of Austro-Hungary, in the parts of Vojvodina too swampy for a normal agriculture. Initially Chinese workers were acquired to build appropriate fields and train locals. There is a part of Batajnica called "Shanghai", as a Chinese workers lived there and rice fields were located there (as a whole area is quite lower than a rest of it).

After WW2, with new irrigation canals most swamps were drained and rice was no longer grown.

Edited by bojan

Rice was grown back in late 19th/early 20th century southern part of Austro-Hungary, in the parts of Vojvodina too swampy for a normal agriculture. Initially Chinese workers were acquired to build appropriate fields and train locals. There is a part of Batajnica called "Shanghai", as a Chinese workers lived there and rice fields were located there (as a whole area is quite lower than a rest of it).

After WW2, with new irrigation canals most swamps were drained and rice was no longer grown.

What happened to the Chinese who lived in that area? Did they die out, move, or get moved by the war?

What happened to the Chinese who lived in that area? Did they die out, move, or get moved by the war?

Already by 1900 they were not there* - probably moved out.

*Only about dozen left in that year census, from the original ~80 in the 1890. Note that a Chinese were not a simple manual workers, they were there to show locals how to grow a rice, so probably moved to other areas their help was needed.

Amusing, but we really need a map to break things down by grape, barley, or potato. And I guess rice if you expand the longitudinal axis far enough.

There is rice farming in southern europe. e.g. in the Po valley.

Good lord, man, I was implying the sugar of choice in making booze. This is the FFZ!

TOMACCO.

I am sure you meant the POMACCO! tubers, berries and leaves to smoke! :wub:

Genius! Unifying all in one plant! Also the combination of the most important new world produce. And saves so much space on the field!

Alas, Yurrup is AFAIK anti-GMO and into organic....

Good lord, man, I was implying the sugar of choice in making booze. This is the FFZ!

:D :D :D

Edited by bojan

ROFL. Those moonshining slavs again. шљивовица FTW :lol:

Ironically, I can not stand the stuff. Apricot brandy is only one I can drink and even that only in small doses.

ROFL. Those moonshining slavs again. шљивовица FTW :lol:

Ironically, I can not stand the stuff. Apricot brandy is only one I can drink and even that only in small doses.

Slivovits only when in a yugo restaurant for me. One shot is okay as digestif. But those austrian type of apricot schnaps is fine by me. Of course only in moderate doses. And in bakery. hmmmmm Preferably distilled by my distant austrian uncle. :D

Better stay away from Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Bojan. Two to three bottles of "cherry water" go into each cake. No driving afterwards. And people claim germans knew no fun. ;)