Tanks in Syrian Revolt

Rod

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HJ-8 attacks with one against tank transported on trailer (3:50).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d40_1384893682

I've noticed some logos on the screen have AK's, and this one has AR's. Is this significant for denoting allegiance or what kind of government they aspire to? I remember the German RAF switching from an AK to an MP5 on their logo.

HJ-8 attacks with one against tank transported on trailer (3:50).

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d40_1384893682

I've noticed some logos on the screen have AK's, and this one has AR's. Is this significant for denoting allegiance or what kind of government they aspire to? I remember the German RAF switching from an AK to an MP5 on their logo.

Those AR's seen in logo are manufactured by Norinco.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco_CQ

Edited by Yalmuk

I must say that these ANNA reporters are very brave and cool-headed. They were able to keep calm, keep filming all the way from being shot to after going to the hospital. No trace of shock. Any CNN reporter would have pooped their pants and screamed hysterically after their driver's head exploded and spread brain matter all over them.

ANNA reporter just shot by sniper while travelling in a car in Damascus. Dont know if he made it.

Graphic video of the attack on ANNA car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBnXjI_qOM&feature=player_detailpage

ARMA...eat yer heart out. ANNA brings the best AFV footage there is. Period. Note the buses used as ersatz Hescos in al-Kabun. The greater standoff with the 2S3 is also evident, no doubt due to the vulnerability to RPG and HMG fire.

The before and after video of Deraya is also very enlightening. Looks like a few Saraya shock groups are being used to pummel the crap out of rebels in Damascus province.

In the day of YouTube warfare, ANNA news seems like it'd be a priority target for the rebels.

Though I'm sure it wasn't specific -- people taking potshots at cars is par for the course when there's no real lines.

In the day of YouTube warfare, ANNA news seems like it'd be a priority target for the rebels.

Though I'm sure it wasn't specific -- people taking potshots at cars is par for the course when there's no real lines.

I've read the ANNA crews syrian drivers/colegues rented that civilian car from a leasing company. And that the clerk at the leasing company recognized them as pro-regime reporters and tipped off "friends" what the car looked like and what registration number it had. The rest was just a waiting game for the sniper(s?).

Its just a theory offcourse (AFAIK) -but the coincident is a bit far fetched IMHO. That the car just happened to carry a valuable target, and the sniper just by chance scored a bulls eye on this specific civilian car...

It's not the first time a foreign journalist was struck by snipers in a travelling car. In March a German TV reporter was hit several times in an unmarked van going through FSA-controlled territory in Aleppo and severely wounded. That was considered a chance score by a sniper from a nearby government military base. Soon after, some pro-Assad businessman from Kuwait put out a bounty on Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya reporters. And of course last year veteran war reporter Marie Colvin was blown up in Homs by a shell hitting the house she stayed in. According to a recent report I just saw, at least 24 journalists have been killed in Syria so far.

Last. Has anybody been able to place the latest ANNA fights (the one at the appartment block, the one with the narrow street where the one T 72 got hit and burned and the fight in the school) on Google Maps?

I'm working on an article for "OSIMINT" on this subject. I've traced out many of the assaults shown in ANNA's reporting on the main SyAA offensive in Jobar and al-Qaboun in August/September. Hopefully it will be ready in a week or two (definitely before the end of November). If you're interested I'll post a link to it in this thread.

If you would, that would be very kind.

Thank you very much.

Here it is. It's rather wordy, but the maps are there.

http://osimint.com/2013/11/24/assads-late-summer-damascus-counter-offensive/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8kcSzt5Wk2w

T-55 ammo, in first seconds MECAR(or china/iran version) 100mm APFSDS

Wow, they really have a little bit of everything there... AP, HEAT, HE (2 types), APDS, and APFSDS.

I'm surprised there's so much full-bore AP (BR-412B, I think) in the mix. Is this a case of "they'll take anything they can get", or are they specifically looking for it as a means of dealing with very heavily walled positions?

The long HE rounds do look like an AA round. In some issues of Jane's Ammunition Handbook there is a picture of an Egyptian 100mm AA HE round with a very similar shape, including the two broad bands on the rear half of the shell, the long profile, and a large fuze. I think the fuze on the ones in the video is probably mechanical time under a protective cover (you can see the cover is dented in some of the close-up shots), rather than being proximity fuzed with a dark radome.

[Edit: Wiedzmin just posted a picture of such a mechanical time fuze with cover on the Main Gun Ammo - Revisited thread, post 473, where it is mounted on a flechette round.]

Edited by Andrew Jaremkow

That is not how it works amigo. I did not say it was a novice but nobody runs wing shots on movers.

Never could spot where the side shot hit. It didn't come through the window and I saw no interior door deformity nor any holes on the driver side door (other than the big dent with touch of blue where they scraped something at some point).

The rear-shot looked like a luck shot. "hey let's take a crack at the moving car... Oh sh!t I actually hit it" type event....amateur hour.

Last. Has anybody been able to place the latest ANNA fights (the one at the appartment block, the one with the narrow street where the one T 72 got hit and burned and the fight in the school) on Google Maps?

I'm working on an article for "OSIMINT" on this subject. I've traced out many of the assaults shown in ANNA's reporting on the main SyAA offensive in Jobar and al-Qaboun in August/September. Hopefully it will be ready in a week or two (definitely before the end of November). If you're interested I'll post a link to it in this thread.

If you would, that would be very kind.

Thank you very much.

Here it is. It's rather wordy, but the maps are there.

http://osimint.com/2013/11/24/assads-late-summer-damascus-counter-offensive/

Wow! That makes it so much clearer.

Thank you very much.