Dead Iron

Mr King

Lybia...

Any guesses as to what the weapon was?

I put my money on Brimstone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_%28missile%29

"Brimstone was used extensively during Operation ELLAMY over Libya in 2011.[41] According to a British Ministry of Defence News report, dated 26 March 2011, RAF Tornado GR4 aircraft launched several Brimstone missiles over the towns of Misrata and Ajdabiya destroying a total of five armoured vehicles belonging to the Gaddafi regime.[42] Sixty Brimstone were fired in the first four weeks of the Libya campaign,[1] out of 110 Brimstone fired in all operations up to that time.[1] This prompted the MoD to ask MBDA to convert more missiles to the dual-mode version.[1] 150 dual-mode missiles had been ordered in December 2010,[24] but according to the Royal United Services Institute, stocks of usable dual-mode missiles fell to single figures at one stage of the Libya campaign.[43] The 500th dual-mode Brimstone was delivered in March 2012,[11] at which time over 200 had been fired in combat.[11] The single-mode missile was not fired in combat until 15 September 2011 when a pair of RAF Tornado GR4 of IX(B) Squadron fired 22 missiles (including a salvo of 12 by one aircraft) against an armoured column near Sebha/Sabha, 400 miles south of Tripoli.[44]"

Not a top attack weapon.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lybia...

I put my money on Brimstone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_%28missile%29

"Brimstone was used extensively during Operation ELLAMY over Libya in 2011.[41] According to a British Ministry of Defence News report, dated 26 March 2011, RAF Tornado GR4 aircraft launched several Brimstone missiles over the towns of Misrata and Ajdabiya destroying a total of five armoured vehicles belonging to the Gaddafi regime.[42] Sixty Brimstone were fired in the first four weeks of the Libya campaign,[1] out of 110 Brimstone fired in all operations up to that time.[1] This prompted the MoD to ask MBDA to convert more missiles to the dual-mode version.[1] 150 dual-mode missiles had been ordered in December 2010,[24] but according to the Royal United Services Institute, stocks of usable dual-mode missiles fell to single figures at one stage of the Libya campaign.[43] The 500th dual-mode Brimstone was delivered in March 2012,[11] at which time over 200 had been fired in combat.[11] The single-mode missile was not fired in combat until 15 September 2011 when a pair of RAF Tornado GR4 of IX( B) Squadron fired 22 missiles (including a salvo of 12 by one aircraft) against an armoured column near Sebha/Sabha, 400 miles south of Tripoli.[44]"

Not a top attack weapon.

Still Wouldn't it attack at much higher angle ,here is looks like atgm fired from ground level.

Lybia...

Given the road wheel damage rotated about 120 degrees from the major impact point, I speculate that the tank was moving when struck.

HEAT from a gun? Look at the heavy scarring. I don't think a missile has a heavy enough casing to throw fragments like that.

HEAT from a gun? Look at the heavy scarring. I don't think a missile has a heavy enough casing to throw fragments like that.

It's in Libya, could have been a Maverick.

At that angle ,and wouldn't AGM-65 leave a bigger mark on this tank ;).

they may not be able to hold the area and are denying the tank to the Germans who were good at recovering them.

I was thinking maybe a Brimstone

I was thinking maybe a Brimstone

More like atgm from ground.

It's obviously destroyed, there is no way that the side can hold up to this attack. One thing to take note is that unlike most t72 we see, this tank did not blow up or seriously burn.

Edit- also its most likely a very small fire.

Edited by billman

Found this on CNN; from a set of photos taken in Europe in 1947 documenting the remnants left after the Allied invasion and drive to Germany.

Imagine having THAT sitting in your garden for a couple of years. One would hope that it was at least disarmed...