History Of Us Army Afvs

Nikolas93TS

Why some M1s from early 80-s have welding line on the right rear hull plate and some not?

​

When I was in OSUT back in JAN to MAY1992 at Ft. Knox,

What unit? I ask because I know that all the tanks of C 2/13 AR had operational APUs during that time frame (I was the senior instructor for the company). Now sometimes the TC instructor would let them run out of fuel, but that's a different issue.

That weld line may indeed have been for those boxes, but not as a mount. Those boxes were hung from the top by two pins so they could swing freely when traversing broken terrain. So the weld line may have been for a bump stop, I just don't recall.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B 2/13, 4th Platoon, Drill Sergeants Fontaine(sp?), Marrero(sp?), Zinger

I just remember one of the TCs putting something inside one of the APU boxes and talking about it. I got the impression the boxes lacked the generators at the time. So I might have got that wrong.

B 2/13, 4th Platoon, Drill Sergeants Fontaine(sp?), Marrero(sp?), Zinger

I just remember one of the TCs putting something inside one of the APU boxes and talking about it. I got the impression the boxes lacked the generators at the time. So I might have got that wrong.

It's quite possible that the generator was out for repairs, they were notoriously low on the repair totem pole.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/07/omfv-army-wants-smaller-crew-more-automation/

So the US Army is making it a bit more official right now (still draft for the RFP) that they want a 2 man basic crew. It was the general idea from the beginning, but now they're reiterating it.

I think the concept is viable, a significant professional base thinks it's viable, and the schedule is just right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Adam Peter said:

Some M3 show and advertisement included

Wow, convertible medium tank M1 in the foreground and M2s in the background at 1:35? And although it (disappointingly) wasn't in the video, the video thumbnail teaser had an interesting direct-vision M4A1 with the early small-spring suspension bogies and gun mount M34 but a single-piece final drive and differential cover.

5rcVJaK.jpg

Edited by DogDodger
Trouble embedding; got it! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So going through archives I found two interesting publications. First is Ballisticians in War and Peace vol.3 where I found description of Ballistic Research Laboratory work on M1A2 (variant fielded in 1992) hull front armor, that had 35% increased protection vs KE and 25% increased protection vs SC threats compared to basic M1A1.

jzdHr8q.jpg

I also found another publication, The US Army Laboratories at Watertown that provides description of work that Watertown and BRL done in 1988-1991 timeframe on Tandem Ceramic Armor, which provided 33% increase in KE protection.

fJAr71l.jpg

This is very interesting co-relation and both are in timeframe of M1A2 development.

So perhaps hull front of the M1A2 used some sort of armor based on ceramics?

Also Ballisticians in War and Peace vol.3 mentions something called KE Backpacks as improvement used in M1IP and M1A1 armor, to increase their KE protection. Perhaps these KE Backpacks were also some sort of steel/ceramic/steel armor, combined with existing NERA arrays?

gUN70tL.jpg

Food for thoughts.

Links to sources:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA300522.pdf

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA305301.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

SU_j-nqOyyM.jpg?size=1534x894&quality=96

so...i found M60A1 mantlet cutaway blueprint, as all can see a lot of cavities inside...

🙄

One for main gun.  One for the telescope and another for the coax.  And of course the trunnions.  Fairly typical of many tanks around the world.