History Of Us Army Afvs

Nikolas93TS

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have cut off the top part of the M113, add a full wood counter top and drive it around as a BFTV (Bar Fully Tracked Vehicle). :)

It was a revelation the first time I saw a panther near a Sherman. Up to that time I still believed in the too tall Sherman vs the low slung panther myth.

In my mind, the Sherman was dwarfed by the Cats. It's a bit amazing to me to see how close they are in size.

On the last pic KT's suspension is dead so it appears somewhat lower than it should be..

On the last pic KT's suspension is dead so it appears somewhat lower than it should be..

rather difficult to believe all the torsion bars were snapped so the tank was resting on the bumpstops.

Sherman with the 76mm gun turret was 3m tall anyway, about 10cm off the height as the King Tiger.

wlvb7N9.jpg

Fun fact: they tested Panther against Leopards 1 and 2 and found it to have better cross country mobility than both on soft ground. Not surprising considering that interleaved roadwheels are best for soft ground. Of course both Leopards power through with more raw power.

rather difficult to believe all the torsion bars were snapped so the tank was resting on the bumpstops.

Sherman with the 76mm gun turret was 3m tall anyway, about 10cm off the height as the King Tiger.

Not all the torsion bars need to be broken to lower a tank down to the stops. When torsion bars snap the others have to carry more weight whcih pushes them down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...