Tankfest 2013

Harold Jones

Scorching sun, I'd say.

Based upon our Czech experience, I'd say you're right.

I hate it when we're right.

AAAAAAARGH!!! MY ARMS!

Arms AND the part of face not covered by sunglasses!

I blame José, he brought a bit of Spain! The forecast was for overcast!

Still, worth getting baked. And today the museum proper... Yay!

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pub is over. I think we scared David Fletcher, the russian alaska thread might have been too much for him to take in

Dave: "So they have a thread on what if Russia never sold Alaska to the US."

Fletcher: "Right."

Dave: "And it stayed White when the rest of Russia went Red."

Fletcher: "Right ..."

Dave: "And they are on the Allied side in WW II."

Fletcher: "Right."

Back in Paris in the office.

Wouldn't believe it, but within first 10 minutes of nighttime London walkaround i saw a fox trying to get into the dustbin. always thought they were a bit of urban legend. Unfortunately the beast scarpered before my camera turned on.

That's what the "review" feature is for.

The one that I disabled, cause it was taking too long till I could do the next shot (big problem during the tank shows). Later found why it's there, but too late. All my Conqueror shots are black :(

As a taxi driver, I don't quite suck enough to lose my passengers or the will to live, but I don't think I should have attempted route proving the whole of Bournemouth each evening :wacko:

However, whilst the satnav proved confusing to us, I don't think there was anyone more confused than the young lady who, at the Goat and Tricycle, made the mistake of asking who we all were "because there was something unusual about us." (Or something like that).

Also - my straw hat and long sleeves allow me to laugh at all the hot-place dwellers who looked more like boiled lobsters than seasoned tourists.

After four hundred meters turn left. That's your left, not mine, dude!

Beginning to process pics. Strangely enough a lot of the outside sharp sun shots are blurred.

Guess your camera got a little sun burned too.

Let's see if I remember how Banshee told me it was done:

Next to the Conqueror, the gang found some armor plates 15 to 5 cm used for tests, the big ones vs 120mm:

One of the new treats is the rocket gun from the SturmTiger, mentioned in at least one thread lately:

OK, so that works, now for the live action:

No point in holding back: the Tiger was loose and the new Mk IV restoration and A7V replica were shown earlier:

Back inside the next day, I savored the Jagdtiger's engine, outside, only one casualty remained the next day to be towed off by a light ARV.

Edited by Ken Estes

David Fletcher came down from the tower for a radio interview, and some of us took in the nearby static display of an Irish [Eire] Army RR armored car, restored with brilliant polish.

Meanwhile the two Banshees and Tuccy relaxed and watched a Swiss Pz61 and the newly restored 88mm/PAK 43 go bye, all too commonplace, guys?

Edited by Ken Estes

All in all it was great fun, as you can see in Leo Niehorster's face!

This last one was a seeming demonstration of penal battalions, as the British army engineer battalions slaved on a Sunday in competition to set up a medium girder bridge!

Edited by Ken Estes

Have to say I was surprised at the speed in the demonstration, the Engineers have to be really pumped up... Was also a close contest most of the time.

Now going through pics, so far I thrown out just ca. 150... Leaving me with over 900 :D Halfway through. I guess I will make a "best of" bundle and then "misc" bundle...

Next to the Conqueror, the gang found some armor plates 15 to 5 cm used for tests, the big ones vs 120mm:

I've heard there's an interesting document connected to one of the plates - it was subjected to various heat treatments before being shot at with 6-pdr fire, so the different treatments can be evaluated. I'm waiting on one of the librarians to track it down currently

Today was good.

Really enlightening to visit Victory and then Warrior and compare. Like sitting in a Leo 2 at Unterlüß and then in a M48 at Munster 3 hours later (only reversed this time).

Well, now at Maxx's, more or less safe. 1400km driven! Waiting for the gang to give me a meeting hour for tomorrow at HMS Belfast. It could be that I got banned from the I&I for blasphemy against the Royal Navy and the English nation, however. :blush: Yeah, talking about HMS Victory as "that pile of firewood" was not nice, and I'm ashamed of myself.

Also there seems to be two types of British Civil Engineers: the good ones that went to design those awesome motorway junctions, and the not so good that went to blight the beautiful English countryside with those pseudo-roundabout monstrosities - in Spain, France, and Germany, at least most roundabouts are, you know, round!

Small inconveniences apart, this is going to be a awesome I&I - At Yeovilton, being able to see by first time in the metal a Seafire, a Sea Fury, a Corsair, a Hellcat, a Martlet, the Concorde prototype!, that great exhibition they have about carrier operations... It was wonderful!

Went through the pics, have the "Tanknetters" folder so far (don't want to throw y'all into the public so the gallery is direct link only)

http://tuccy.rajce.idnes.cz/IandI_-_Bovington_-_Tanknetters/

BansheeFour shooting some tanks...

Berlin detachment with a Swedish tank...

Cold War Tactics...

Allan and a little kitten...

Ken and M103

And we few, we happy few. Getting Tanknetters to make a group picture was a bit like herding cats though, first time we assembled at Churchill the Berlin Cell led charge to investigate some interesting pieces of metal to the right in the enclosed space (for example shot up Matilda I)...

Edited by Tuccy