• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My town is predicting a complete logjam on the roads on the 8th.

I already have a reminder on my calendar to stock up on food and drink the Friday before.

It'll be interesting to see whether the old wives tale about dogs howling during an eclipse is true or not.

• 1 month later...

At roughly 2/3 totality in my AO, pretty mundane overall. No inklings of a horror movie scenario.

I'm beginning to think that spending my retirement on an RPD and 10k linked rounds wasn't a good investment.

Totality turned out to be great in my AO.

No dogs howling, people turning into zombies, etc.

Haven't heard a single siren all day. I'm guessing the po-po shut down most of the roads in my little hamlet.

Sadly, my lame attempts at handheld photography were a total bust. Note to self; in 2099, use tripod, UV filter, and polarizer.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:40 PM, Ivanhoe said:

It'll be interesting to see whether the old wives tale about dogs howling during an eclipse is true or not.

No howling here. Had perfect viewing conditions too. Like a dimmer switch was turned down, along with a 10 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature, for a few minutes,  then fairly quickly back to normal.   

Yeah, I felt the temp drop (TBH, though, it was accompanied by wind).

Amusing psychological observation; before totality, partial eclipse was like "Yeah!" but after totality, partial eclipse was like "Ho, hum."

We had a pretty great view near Dallas with very few clouds. We even saw the pinhole camera effects in the tree shadows and had the birds change their song during totality.

It's hard to capture the change of light level in pictures or video because most cellphone cameras will try to brighten the scene up again, but I still got some nice shots. 

vgUYg54.jpg

334pQxL.jpg

lV2BWR2.jpg

UKHAmtG.jpg

f3wcT5k.jpg

Edited by Der Zeitgeist