Panzermann

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Been awhile since I shared anything on this site.  Here's a few shots, taken from my backyard:

M27, the Dumbbell nebula:

Idrs4zRPBblI_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Gas wall inside soul nebula:

BtxFKR9Z4Nll_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Wide field shot covering an area between the Tulip nebula and the Crescent nebula.  This shot is a 4 panel mosaic, I have a total of 72 hours worth of exposure in this (may take a moment to load).

al7f_dXpOAVw_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Saw this picture online, mostly of the Sun in UV bands, but with Venus trying to do an eclipse.

SunVenusUv3_SdoDove_960_annotated.jpg

Explanation: This was a very unusual type of solar eclipse. Typically, it is the Earth's Moon that eclipses the Sun. In 2012, though, the planet Venus took a turn. Like a solar eclipse by the Moon, the phase of Venus became a continually thinner crescent as Venus became increasingly better aligned with the Sun. Eventually the alignment became perfect and the phase of Venus dropped to zero. The dark spot of Venus crossed our parent star. The situation could technically be labeled a Venusian annular eclipse with an extraordinarily large ring of fire. Pictured here during the occultation, the Sun was imaged in three colors of ultraviolet light by the Earth-orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory, with the dark region toward the right corresponding to a coronal hole. Hours later, as Venus continued in its orbit, a slight crescent phase appeared again. The next Venusian transit across the Sun will occur in 2117.

New sun photo. Combining proms and disk remains a bit iffy. I left the proms white for contrast, should also make a standard color balance for these photos

5.jpg

Edited by Inhapi

I imagine that solar observation has a lot of advantages over traditional astronomy. Daylight. Warmth. Small telescopes. Short exposure times.

Fried eyeballs, boiled equipment and strange smells of smoke...

But at least your hands are likely to be warm, and you can see where you put the coffee.

(Nice photos, all!)

On 3/7/2022 at 5:26 AM, Inhapi said:

New sun photo. Combining proms and disk remains a bit iffy. I left the proms white for contrast, should also make a standard color balance for these photos

These are very nice.  What are you using to take these? 

One of these days I'll get setup for solar.  I had been thinking about picking up something like a daystar quark.

13 hours ago, JamesR said:

These are very nice.  What are you using to take these? 

One of these days I'll get setup for solar.  I had been thinking about picking up something like a daystar quark.

A Lunt 50 + zwo asi 120mm, basically the chaepest one can go for H-aplha potography (tough not cheap by far for a 50mm scope)

Edited by Inhapi

On 3/7/2022 at 2:02 PM, Ssnake said:

I imagine that solar observation has a lot of advantages over traditional astronomy. Daylight. Warmth. Small telescopes. Short exposure times.

especially IMHO: you never run out of objets to observe/photgraph: the sun is differnt every day. It also doesn"'t ruin your day/nigh rythm 😉

Also the setup I use for this is really very light: I can lift the entire mount, scope, tripod in one go (about 8 kg) and then attach the laptop for photographing.

Exporsure times are short enough to use a simple alt-az solar tracking pount, so no fine polar alignment, tracking issues etc....

When you go larger (say 80 mm and up scopes) the telescope becomes very expensive and you return to a more standard astropotography mount tough.

Edited by Inhapi

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.space.com/solar-flare-stunning-photos-march-2022

NASA's orbiting Solar Dynamics Observatory captured yet another solar flare blasting from the same overactive sunspot that triggered radio blackouts and stunning aurora displays on Earth earlier this week. 

The spacecraft, which watches Earth's parent star from 22,000 miles (36,000 kilometers) above the planet's surface, captured the flare, classified as a medium-strength type M, on Thursday (March 31) at 2:35 p.m. EDT (1835 GMT). 

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/m9-flare-r2-moderate-radio-blackout-31-march-2022

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...