Weird And Wonderful Afv's

Mr King

Oh, someone planned to put a T-72 turret on Leo 1 hull? For real?.. Complete with autoloader or what was the idea?..

(Fuck, I knew there was something weirdly familiar about that picture :D )

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, someone planned to put a T-72 turret on Leo 1 hull? For real?.. Complete with autoloader or what was the idea?..

(Fuck, I knew there was something weirdly familiar about that picture :D )

there is also a pic of a T-72 with the cast turret of a Leo1A5 floating around. Some say it was from an April issue of Soldat & Technik. but I do not happen to have the issue in question.

Edited by Panzermann

• 1 month later...

7,5 cm selbstfahrlafette L40,8. Ordered in 1936 (!) as a TD. Lightly armoured on 5 ton halftrack chassis (with the engine placed at the rear). At least 6 prototypes built from 1935. Gun: 75mm L 40,8 (Vo= 685 m/s) with 360° traverse and -9 to 20° elevation. Strange that these were not taken in production. maybe they were seen as overkill as a TD at the time ? Might have been handy to have around in France and even later early in Barbarosa IMHO.

Inhapi

The development leveraged the HK900 series, which was cancelled with all of the other HK series halftracks (except the HK100s, which became the kettenkraftrad). An anti-tank variant that made sense as part of a mass produced vehicle series presumably made much less sense as a stand alone design requiring an all new production base.

A whole series of HK, 'second generation' half tracks were envisioned, but were cancelled because the war would be over before they could be in mass production . . . until the war wasn't over and the urgent need for existing vehicles precluded building new ones.

As with so many German projects, all that came out of was a bunch of interesting prototypes. If you're interested, someone has put an entire book about German semitrack work, including the HK series, online at scribd.

Edited by CaptLuke

Has the Minebreaker 2000/2 replaced the Keiler? I thought the whole point of going with the M48 hull was its curved shape. I'm guessing the latter is tactical and the former designed primarily for humanitarian work therefore slower with higher clearance %?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiler_(mine_flail)

The Minebreaker 2000/2 was rented to the German Army (during ISAF) and to the South Korean military. It also was used on the Balkans after a German company was contracted by an anti-mine organization (Welt-Entminungs-Hilfe e.V.). Currently it is located in a museum.

An interesting paper design that may have had a general blurb about but never had images published as far as I know.

After Canada had built and tested the Ram 3.7" they went back to the drawing board and came up with a fully enclosed turret/cab design. While the Ram 3.7" was primarily an AA vehicle with the ability to do AT work, this new design was for use as assault and close support roles only, to engage ground targets. The gun saddle was redesigned, tilting it forward 3.5 degrees while removing the leveling equipment on the 3.7" this allowed it to be lowered into the hull itself. This lowered the overall height as well as increased the depression. They state it's on a Grizzly hull but the mechanics are pulled from a Ram as the driver is in the same position as the Ram/Sexton's another document states the Ram hull and the cab/turret having a 360 deg traverse. The design also featured a hinged flap on roof over the gun, which would allow it to be used as a medium artillery, giving a range of 17,150 yards which was greater then that of the sexton.

3.7" AA gun

Elevation: 28 deg

Depress: - 8.5

Traverse: 30 deg left, 30 deg right (could be boosted to 60 each direction in the design if felt required)

Ammo: 10 round ready rack, 40 total

Speed: 25 mph

Height 106 inches

Crew of 7

Armour values were fluid as figures were not set in stone and change date to date. The sides of the lower hull were to be reduced to 1 inch to shave weight with the savings able to be applied to the upper cab. These figures are from the drawings.

Turret/Cab front: 28.575 mm

Gun shield: ?

Sides: 15.875 mm

Rear: 15.875 mm

Roof: 38.1 or 31.75 - 19.05 mm

Hull glacis ? highly sloped

One piece lower front from the M4

Sides: 25.4 mm

Rear: 38.1 mm ?

The actual drawings are very poor in quality, details are hard to read, I did my best with 10-20 mins of line tracing them in paint...so yes I know they are bad. but they give you an idea.

5YMX7DT.png

rQXfUcZ.png

DQy0kd6.png

Edited by whelm

It strikes me that when Israel finally decides they're done with the M3 Halftracks, they could put them up on the market for $30-40k a pop and make a decent amount offsetting their costs for replacement of the new hardware....

It strikes me that when Israel finally decides they're done with the M3 Halftracks, they could put them up on the market for $30-40k a pop and make a decent amount offsetting their costs for replacement of the new hardware....

Well I know one collector in my city who owns I ex Israeli half track. I think a lot of them were sold off to collectors, but by who I dont know.