Weird And Wonderful Afv's

Mr King

Proto-CEV's??

A type of Czech-made armored car with 4 MGs. I've got the name at home and I'll post it late tonight.

THAT looks like something from an early Dr Who episode. ^_^

A proto-Dalek?? :P

Fritz Lang could have used it "Metropolis", "Maria" could drive it. :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this qualifies as weird...new Bradley variant being unveiled at AUSA 17 tomorrow.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BNVQz

As if the Bradley wasn't tall already:

0qDoqdO.jpg

The good news (as far as it goes) is that it looks like this concept keeps the Bradley's 25mm cannon and adds some Stingers in that pod on the left side of the turret. That plus the electronic gear indicates an Anti-UAV variant.

Edited by Dark_Falcon

I think this qualifies as weird...new Bradley variant being unveiled at AUSA 17 tomorrow.

https://imgur.com/gallery/BNVQz

As if the Bradley wasn't tall already:

0qDoqdO.jpg

The good news (as far as it goes) is that it looks like this concept keeps the Bradley's 25mm cannon and adds some Stingers in that pod on the left side of the turret. That plus the electronic gear indicates an Anti-UAV variant.

That is an M6 Linebacker. Basically an M2 (or M3) Bradley with a quad Stinger launcher instead of the twin TOW launcher. Pulled from active service in the US Army and converted back to regular Bradleys in 2006 IIRC. Makes sense to be serious about air defence again. Well the first time in many decades as the Linebacker was only a band-aid after the Sgt. York FUBAR.

Boeing wants its share too:

Stryker-MSL-1024x603.jpg

https://breakingdefense.com/2017/08/laser-in-front-grunts-in-back-boeing-offers-anti-aircraft-vehicles/

Boeing and General Dynamics. The Stryker MSL is a joint project, funded out the two corporations' R&D budgets, rather than a US government programs. Boeing is also working with Oshkosh to fit the updated Avenger turret onto the JLTV. SHORAD is currently very much in fashion.

No, the vehicle is fitted with the 30 x 113 mm M230LF chain gun.

I stand corrected. I was just going by the model, as I have had not the chance to read about it.

SHORAD may be in fashion at the moment but I find the lack of suitable cannons for the job to be disappointing. Yeah this one has a M230LF but its probably more for plinking ground targets than anything else. I want to see a GAU-12 on the thing or something similarly more formidable.

Why the fuck 30mm M230?

Yep. that is a weird one. Could just as well throw rocks at aerial vehicles.

As JW Collins says, probabaly for shooting at ground targets. And as the M230 is smaller than the M242 machine cannon, to make room for monitors and other components on the inside I could imagine.

But then what do they do with the dismounts compartment? Lots of space for rent to put operators and make the turret crewless They could then keep the M242 or even go up to the XM813.

I stand corrected. I was just going by the model, as I have had not the chance to read about it.

Similar gun as the Apache (M230: 30 x 113mm) vs the Mk44 (30 x 173mm).