World Of Warships

Max H

11 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

You missed the irony. In game, best ASW is performed by battleship spotting planes 🙄 I.shit.you.not

It's kind of sad because the 3D models of ships and planes are gorgeous

It shows that I have never played this game. Nor really looked at it other than some of the ship information. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing the subs both the Cachalot and the U-69 and enjoying it.

The Cachalot stock is a death trap, it's not really effective till it has been maxed out. The U-69 is a highly effective boat even stock. To answer the question, subs can't cap unless surfaced.

Tactic wise, a sub by itself is doomed against a cruiser or DD. You need surface support, because you can't run and you can't hide for to long. Max submergence is 2:50 for the US boat and German subs can stay under water for a bit longer than 4 minutes with Reserve battery. By the time a sub has prosecuted an attack from underwater, chances are that they have used 50% of their submerged time. Meaning they have to kill the surface unit and not have any counter attack coming at them to survive the encounter. A sub operating within the envelope of a supporting cruiser is very dangerous, as they become untouchable. I disagree with the comment that the planes are the most dangerous ASW, a DD on top of you is almost always death for the sub. To reduce detection and improve hits. I fire my torps based on the predication given and then at the halfway point I ping the target. If there is a lot of enemy about I may not ping at all and take the chance that they hit, but remain undetected. (If you ping a white spot appears on the surface and the ping can be seen travelling on the surface, giving the enemy a clear indication of you position). As soon as I ping I change course and move.

If your a BB and you get pinged, I suggest you turn around and get distance between you and the sub. The last three BB I sank just kept steaming along, holding course and staying in range.