Wot Part Deux

T19

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. The SB was supposed to be the start of a major rebalance of the entire game and that went nowhere. Instead the game continued down the path it was on and is about as poorly balanced as it's ever been.

Edit: Looking over what was stated in that Q&A... it doesn't make any sense. There are basically 3 big issues at high tiers: fantasy levels of armor (the poster child being the Type 5), gold spam (in part because you basically have to when facing something like the Type 5), and HE is broken (a subset of this is arty is still arty).

That Q&A specifically stated that they think arty is fine (it's not... it's worse after the rework) and they have no plans on adjusting the Type 5... yet they also said they're considering removing gold ammo. How can you remove it without adjusting a tank that you literally can't hurt unless you're throwing gold at it?

Maybe their cash flow has dropped. Their answers (and the reddit thread on the subject would reinforce this) just seem to be telling players what they want to hear rather than highlighting meaningful thought put into the issues.

Edited by Skywalkre

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the first Swedish TD with the funky suspension. I think the mix of graphics, sounds, animations in sniper mode are the most realistic that I have found ingame so far.

I'm still slogging through using the Sexton. Figured I'd mostly do cannon cocker stuff.

It's very frustrating to play till you 100% crew

Other than for general gameplay advice avoid WoT forum as a plague if you want to save your sanity.

The amount of bitching on the forums about artillery.... :wacko:

If you're going to stick with arty get used to the abuse. That class has been vilified, and rightly so, since the game first launched.

Still playing. Generally enjoy the game. Not good at it still, but I don't work at it either. I play because I like tanks and the tanks look good. I hate Arty and those wheeled demons. Once I had an 120mm AP round only do a critical hit to an armored car. Hit the side and the little demon never stopped. They drive me crazy. But I like tanks.

The sad thing is how bad the game has become. Shortly after the open BETA there were rounds full of only BETA award Shermans and I still remember an awesome battle when neither side could penetrate the other from the front and our team co-ordinated in the chat that 2/3 of the players switched to HE to go for the tracks of the others team, so that 1/3 of our team could use the terrain to flank them. Then our flankers popped up over the ridge and engaged the enemy from the side, forcing them to turn and opening their weak spots for the main force. It was epic.

Today, this would be decided by whom shoots the most gold ammo.

Edited by seahawk

• 2 weeks later...

The best games are in the tier 5-8 range. I am finding the UDES-03 Swedish TD a struggle to play well. The gun is good, but if you go into siege mode and get spotted, you take a lot of damage in the time it takes to release the tank to back up quickly. Playing outside of siege mode is preferred, but then you lose any hope of depression. If you can get into a good spot and stay hidden, then you can really do a lot of hurt. But it's very hard to find such spots.

The best games are in the tier 5-8 range.

That's what I relegated myself to as well before I quit last time. The problem was with the MM at the time those games still largely sucked. 2-tier spread was still far too common and given the vast discrepancies now compared to when the game came out between tiers if you're bottom tier you might as well alt-tab out or suicide scout because you're going to do squat. If you were top tier in a 3/5/7 match it was equally boring (when I got those games in my Panther/M10 all I had to do was press W to win... that's some amazing gameplay right there).

When I quit last time the MM was getting ravaged on the forums more than normal. Have they made changes to bring in more 1-tier spread or same tier match-ups finally?

Also, whatever happened with Balance 2.0 or whatever their plan was to vastly redo, and reign in, the balance issues plaguing the game?

Edited by Skywalkre

I don't follow the forums, I just play the game, every game has it's faults and quirks, I get enough good games to keep me happy and after playing a heavily modded Skyrim, WOT stability is refreshing enough.

• 2 months later...

Due to the virus cancelling my vacation plans I had a lot of free time this last week. By chance saw an email in my spam folder from WoT where I could claim 2 weeks of free premium time due to the anniversary. What the hell... loaded it up again for shits and giggles.

Focused on just getting as much cash as I could get just in case hell froze over and I had fun again. Spent the first half of the day jumping between the T34, Panther/M10, and P88. The games weren't bad, actually, and it was amusing how I was averaging about the same across all 3 tanks (~50k... years ago the T34 was the clear frontrunner in regards to generating credits).

However, in due time, the cracks turned into chasms. Arty is still cancer. Those damned wheeled vehicles are still cancer (one guy even talked some trash to me after a game acting like he was such a badass for not dying in the tier 10 wheelie... yeah, bro, such mad skillz when you're playing a broken vehicle). MM is still broken (the 3/5/7 games when I was in the P/M10 were a complete joke... just press W to dominate... and had my highest grossing game with 120k in one such scenario). Maps are still mostly bad.

The one plus I'll give to WoT is that the installer now shows you videos explaining some fairly obscure mechanics. Nicely done! I was half hoping when I got to play you'd notice the players having learned something across the board. Nope! (Was also interesting to note that I recognized one clan from back when I played... and it was a clan that was full of assholes back then and still is... probably sums up what's happened to the playerbase as a whole.)

/sigh

Still the possibility of a great game if they wanted to make it...

• 3 months later...

Dang they have a salute to veterans, but I have no way of showing my service, except for a whack of papers buried in my garage and one piece of expired id from the 80's. It would take months to get the new veterans ID from DND. Mutter mutter

• 2 months later...

Looking at my stats, out of 27,234 battles a total of 136 Tier X battles. I don't use gold ammo much and therefore at that tier, you can't do much except resort to HE. The vast majority of my battles are tier 5-8, which i generally enjoy. Win rate is 52.21%, I notice it's slowly dropping, I don't find I have the ability to react fast enough anymore, causing me to die sooner and having less impact on the game.

• 1 month later...

Still enjoying the game, although with the amount of gold ammo out there, put's me at a disadvantage as I only carry a few and my armour gets chewed through like butter.

Not that sure about the arty nerf, the real problem I see is to many arty in a battle, 3 per side is to many max should be two. At lower tiers arty can be almost useless. Recently noted that my M7 Priest firing at mostly stationary targets got 1 hit out of 11 shots and there is no splash either. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Haven't played in a long time, and chances of starting again are slim to none. But I have started to watch Quickbaby's videos. Almost better than starting up myself again. His videos are greatly entertaining, and I get to see tanks that weren't even on the drawingboard when I played.

Best so far, when he livestreams and drives a T95 (td) off a bridge and dies, since a ladybug flew in on his keyboard and screen (I think it is called "playing the best tier 9s".

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson

• 6 months later...