Some Hints For The New Site

T19

Actually, the old software was VERY long in the tooth and was getting close to implosion. It was a choice of doing it now under controlled circumstances or trying to rebuild from the wreckage once something serious happened. There's hope of putting an old Tanknet face on the new software but it's a work in progress right now and seeing as the full weight of conversion rests on one or two shoulders (mine not being of the one or two) it's a lot of effort.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it now. At the board stats, when a user's name is italicized, that guy's posting. Regular format means reading. Dang... great software!

Hehe just realized it a few minutes ago hehe (slooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww............) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When the new software was introduced, I liked the addition of the email notification of responses. However, that stopped working shortly afterwards and hasn't worked since - a permanent glitch?

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion

forum

• 1 month later...
Guest Hans Engström

Tony, I'll look into it.

As far as the colours go, I'll be working on thatagain soon (you shouls see some of the stuff that's been trialled, almost funny in a sick way).

I, too, got confused... Gonna miss the "unconventional" conventional TankNet way.... (since TankNet was the first Internet forum I participated, I got used to its "backward posting" style and see the other "conventional 'last-post-at-last-page'" unconventional hehehe)

Gonna miss the "unconventional" conventional TankNet way

160204[/snapback]

Yeah, it sucks to go from Leader to "Led". Incidentally, a "clue alert" posted by Stephan on another thread helped me a lot. You can choose "+Linear" in the topic title (it will "remember" your choice next window or time you open it) and it will keep the original topic post on top.

Yeah, it sucks to go from Leader to "Led".  Incidentally, a "clue alert" posted by Stephan on another thread helped me a lot.  You can choose "+Linear" in the topic title (it will "remember" your choice next window or time you open it) and it will keep the original topic post on top.

160422[/snapback]

I did the old head smack when I tried his advice. All this time and the answer to first post on top was right there.

Yeah, it sucks to go from Leader to "Led".  Incidentally, a "clue alert" posted by Stephan on another thread helped me a lot.  You can choose "+Linear" in the topic title (it will "remember" your choice next window or time you open it) and it will keep the original topic post on top.

160422[/snapback]

Yeah, I just read it awhile ago. Works like a charm. Now if Staff can set it back like the way it was... :D

Same as Jeff - smack on the head reaction. :D

Now if Staff can set it back like the way it was... :D

Same as Jeff - smack on the head reaction. :D

160482[/snapback]

I concur. I found it more convenient to follow a discussion when posts went from the newest to the oldest (made it easier and quicker to identify add-ons as they came in).

Just MHO.

• 1 month later...

Just a periodic note to say that I STILL hate the new "conventional" posting format. In spite of the chorus of voices that proclaimed how much I would "learn to love the little orange boxes" and how much easier the new posting order is to read, I find the system a PITA to use. I will reiterate:

• The orange boxes only work if you are set up for automatic log-in. As I browse from work, I don't do this.
  • When I am logged in, the system cannot consistently account for my time since the last visit/log-in, hence the boxes don't work correctly.
  • When the boxes do work, everything is dandy--until the thread has added a page since my last visit to the thread. Then you end up having to click to go to the next page, even if only 2 posts were added since you previously visited the thread. With the reverse-order format, this was highly unlikely to happen on a daily basis (unless it was a Mideast Flame War).

While I realize the cause is lost, I needed to ventilate. You may now return to your regular broadcast. ;)

Douglas

• 3 weeks later...
[*]The orange boxes only work if you are set up for automatic log-in.  As I browse from work, I don't do this.

[*]When I am logged in, the system cannot consistently account for my time since the last visit/log-in, hence the boxes don't work correctly.

176945[/snapback]

Unless you can't/don't want to log in at work, it actually works fine. I browse(logged in) from work and from home, and the forum doesn't "reset" posts I've already looked at to "read" when I move to my home PC.

• 1 year later...

I get an unusual amount of lock ups and time outs with the new forum. It looks very nice but often I wait 30 seconds or more for a new page to load. Sometime during browsing I just go do other things while a page is partially displayed and my browser just stalls for 2 or more minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
I get an unusual amount of lock ups and time outs with the new forum. It looks very nice but often I wait 30 seconds or more for a new page to load. Sometime during browsing I just go do other things while a page is partially displayed and my browser just stalls for 2 or more minutes.

Concur, we haven't figured that out yet. Pain in the arse I agree, there's probably a simple workaround but we have yet to find it. :(

At work it opens the page and then hangs for 30sec-1minute, but at home it seems to be fairy quick. I am now having to do work will waiting for a TN page to open, it's quite disturbing. :unsure:

• 3 months later...
At work it opens the page and then hangs for 30sec-1minute, but at home it seems to be fairy quick. I am now having to do work will waiting for a TN page to open, it's quite disturbing. :unsure:

Exactly the same with me, at home I have no problems and I am on a dial up, but at work with a fast connection it locks up for 30s or so. I should add that this is happening in the last 3-4 months, before that I did not notice any problems.