Israeli Cobra Helicopters

I was looking at the Israeli Military Photos topic on MilitaryPhotos.net, and came across some pictures of Israeli Cobra helicopters with a weapons fit I do not recognize.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?58508-Israel-Defense-Forces-%28Read-First-Post!%29/page1059

Instead of the usual gatling gun under the chin, the helicopter has a wedge shaped object in that position, and instead of the typical large ATGM tubes it has a smaller hardpoint of some sort.

It looks like the wedge shaped object is some sort of trainable directional antenna.

Interestingly, the unit seems to be organized with a roughly 50 / 50 mix of these helicopters and those with the normal gatling and ATGM fit.

Here's another picture showing a Cobra with no chin gun, but no antenna either, although it does have the small hardpoint.

A little more googling turned up a picture of a Cobra carrying the antenna as well as what look like missile boxes on the hardpoint.

So what is this system? I don't think this would be Spike ER, which brochures show to be tube launched and fibre optically guided, so the helicopter can retain its gun. My guess would be Spike NLOS / Tamuz, which is a box launched long range missile that uses a radio guidance link.

If so, wow. A 25 km range missile on a highly mobile and elusive helicopter platform. Good luck defending against that...

My weak google-fu hasn't turned up a name for this combination. Is there a new model name / number for the Cobras carrying this weapons fit?

Thanks for the links Chris.

The more I look at that chin object, the more and more I think that it's an antenna of some sort, such as a horn antenna with a curved waveguide at the back and a dielectric cover on the front. Here's some assorted horn antennae, rotated to match the orientation seen in the photo above, and the general shape is a pretty good match (well, to my eyes anyway ;) ).

We know that the SPIKE NLOS system uses a fairly large directional antenna to communicate with the missile.

If Machtselet is a member of the SPIKE NLOS family, then presumably it needs some sort of directional data link antenna too. A pointable chin antenna might do the trick.

Yeah, I was thinking a high-freq radar antenna for illuminating the target. But in this age of affordable and reliable ECM, a directional data link is also pretty desirable.

Likely these choppers are optimized for taking out small targets in an urban environment that requires very good accuracy and not much collateral damage.

Answered here before:

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37672&page=2

Post no 35.

Edit:

Incidently I made a post on page 1060 on that thread on mp.net explaining exactly what this is, a Spike NLOS equipped Tzefa with a horn antennae for the radio/datalink guidance of the missiles. The post, together with the last photo in your first post here, was quickly censored after an Israeli member pulled the Secret Squirrel card... :D Photos of this Tzefa configuration has been on the net for a few years now, and its not like you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what this stuff is... :blink:

Edited by zakk

Aha! I should have remembered to to check that thread. Thanks for the reminder.

It's interesting that the helicopter in your picture has the bulkier active laser jammer over the engine, while all the ones in the pictures I found have the more conventional 'hot brick / disco ball' style jammers. How long have the laser jammers been in service now? Are they planning to phase them in across the fleet?

Charles,

it is impossible to see what kind of warhead a Tamuz or Spike NLOS missile is equipped with from a head on view.

What we are seeing here is actually two generations of missiles. The 5 left ones are from one generation, the single right one is from another generation. Of the 5 left ones, the missiles with orange seeker heads are thermal imaging guided, the missiles with transparent seeker heads are optical/video guided. The right one I only have have an opinion about.

Andrew,

I wouldn't know for sure. The IAF has ordered active laser jammers for at least a part of their helicopter force. The Tzefa in my photo could be one of the first to receive the production version of the laser jammer. But he IAF doesn't have to many Tzefas, so if they allready started to roll out the laser jammers half a year ago, I guess we would have seen a lot more of these by now. So my guess would be that this is a test example.

Guest Charles

Charles,

it is impossible to see what kind of warhead a Tamuz or Spike NLOS missile is equipped with from a head on view.

What we are seeing here is actually two generations of missiles. The 5 left ones are from one generation, the single right one is from another generation. Of the 5 left ones, the missiles with orange seeker heads are thermal imaging guided, the missiles with transparent seeker heads are optical/video guided. The right one I only have have an opinion about.

Zakk, thank you for the information.

Charles

Not neccessarily a new generation missile...

My hunch is that it is a SALH sensor i addition to the optical/video sensor. But who am I to know... :ph34r:

That would make a lot of sense.