Meanwhile In Turkey

DADI

Erdogan wants to patch the realtions to Israel that he had demolished so thoroughly.

His time may be up. Twitter is blowing up with things out of Istanbul and Anakara. Troops on the streets, fighters in the air circling, the Bosporus bridges shut down, and even a since-deleted photo of an M-60A3 and an M113A3 in the street.

It looks like something big has jumped off.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Greek news site that I read reports that it is a coup attempt by part of the military. The Turkish PM avoided however to use the term "coup". The Greek term used is "rebellion". I don't know how accurate translation that is.

ΕΔΙΤ: from the above link to RT's report I see that they don't make that distinction

Edited by rohala

Coup failed? Too bad. That will only solidify Erdogan's position...

Are you kidding? Erdogan is the elected president. He has a huge following in Anatolia. If the Turkish army wants to overthrow Erdogan than they must be ready to get their hands really dirty with the blood of their compatriots.

Reportedly the Chief of the Turkish armed forces is being held hostage.

By the army or by the police?

Anyway looks like a failed attempt in the long run - no Erdogan, no Prime Minister... Bridges and airport are nice, but what they needed was to decapitate the government (and seize state media).

A reporter from the Greek defense ministry says that the Greek military had recognized the irregular movement of military units around the country early in the afternoon, noting that there was no specific geographic concentration.

A reporter from the Greek defense ministry says that the Greek military had recognized the irregular movement of military units around the country early in the afternoon, noting that there was no specific geographic concentration.

Implication that coup forces are spread throughout the country.

What I heard: the state channel TRT is back on air and the coupists have announced that the coup restored democracy and secularity, and that a new constitution will be adopted in the following days.

Yes. The coup is large scale.

What I heard: the state channel TRT is back on air and the coupists have announced that the coup restored democracy and secularity, and that a new constitution will be adopted in the following days.

Yes. The coup is large scale.

Hmm....

What is the critical mass when NOT nabbing president and PM does not matter anymore? They would need a massive popular support (as in people in the streets) though, and Erdogan can probably call on more.

Erdogan has made a statement ... via Facetime. The news anchor on a non-gov station in Turkey had to hold up her phone to play it. The Sultan is deep trouble.