Movies

Tommy Bennett

One thing I didn't get though, is how could the space jockey/engineer not be dead in the cockpit as in Alien?

In Prometheus the planet is LV223 , in Alien it is LV426, so i guess the intention is that they are not the same although obviously linked. I read this theory though that does make some sense: http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1384/lv-426-derelict-departed-lv-223-en-route-to-earth-2000-years-ago-alienprometheus-timeline-theory/p1

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked that aspect of the movie as well, but I think over time folks are going to dissect the plot and find numerous hiccups with that.

About the only thing I can find, several days removed, is this:

The Space Jockey in Alien was clearly NOT the same as the 'Engineers'. For one thing, the skull was skull and definitely not a helmet. Also, the SJ, IIRC, scaled to something like 7-8 meters tall; the Engineer was what, about 4 meters? Nice try, but won't stand close scrutiny.

Edited by AdmiralB

I liked that aspect of the movie as well, but I think over time folks are going to dissect the plot and find numerous hiccups with that.
About the only thing I can find, several days removed, is this:

The Space Jockey in Alien was clearly NOT the same as the 'Engineers'. For one thing, the skull was skull and definitely not a helmet. Also, the SJ, IIRC, scaled to something like 7-8 meters tall; the Engineer was what, about 4 meters? Nice try, but won't stand close scrutiny.

That's actually a hard call because there were TWO Space Jockeys used in the original Alien movie. The first SJ was a setpiece that appeared when the Nostromo crew first entered his room. That one does scale to 7-8 m tall, which is evident from the fact that his head alone is already half the size of an adult human. However, when the crew finally climbed onto his seat and found the chestburster hole, SJ has somehow shrunk down to about 4 m tall, as can be seen from the size comparison between his head (helmet?) and the crew's own helmets. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZlVQZFjvE

It's kinda like how no one can agree on the actual dimensions of a Klingon Bird of Prey. The moviemakers simply wanted effect, not size consistency.

I'm betting that the next two Prometheus movies will take the easy way out and explain that we're still around because the Engineers got themselves wiped out by their own xenomorph creations or something similar.

In Prometheus the planet is LV223 , in Alien it is LV426, so i guess the intention is that they are not the same although obviously linked. I read this theory though that does make some sense: http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/1384/lv-426-derelict-departed-lv-223-en-route-to-earth-2000-years-ago-alienprometheus-timeline-theory/p1

I was positive I remembered the planet in the first two as being different, I thought I was just misremembering, guess not.

As for the scale change in alien, I think it is just a consistency error from the original movie, from memory the long shots of the guys in space suits leaving the nostromo and walking into the 'temple' were actually Ridley's kids to save money on making mega huge sets. So it makes sense that in the long shot they look tiny compared to the SJ then a lot bigger up close.

I'm betting that the next two Prometheus movies will take the easy way out and explain that we're still around because the Engineers got themselves wiped out by their own xenomorph creations or something similar.

Yeah, I can totally see that. Make it an allegory on the evils of GM crops or something along those lines.

These are some of the upcoming films:

The Dark Knight Rises If there is one movie I'm looking forward to this is it.

Total Recall is being remade with Colin Farrell as Schwarzenegger's character. Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsdale also star.

Flight, a film in which Denzel Washington is a hero pilot who might have been drinking on the job. Looks good.

The Watch, Fratpack actors living in suburbia looking for aliens and actually findthem.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter It sounds stupid but the preview actually made it look good a la Rocky Horror 2012

Don't forget Spidey 4 and Bourne 4. I'll wait for the DVD on both, unless the buzz is exceptionally good.

There's also Cold Light Of Day, a spy thriller type apparently.

I leave Spidey for the kids (5 & 8), and lost interest in the first Bourne less than a third through. Just cannot maintain interest.

Dark Night Rises on the radar, if for no other reason than Christian Bale always works hard at his characters, and a return of Liam Neeson Ra's al Ghul again...it's Liam Neeson as a bad guy. And there will be a Catwoman. Nuff said. And if they play it right, might be worth a damn. Ra's al Ghul was the comics ultimate nemesis for Batman, and the only one the Bat like was scared off.

Other than that, everything else is of the radar; it being amazing how many movies I physically own from last year that I have yet to watch. Unless it's mother, ex or kids to the cinema, my calendar is booked.

Oh, exceptions on the Deadpool X-Men movie if it comes out this year - NOTHING gets in the way of insane chatterbox merc, period. Funerals, births or weddings.

Guest Jason L

You guys are being incredibly generous. Prometheus was pretty much the worse movie I've ever seen plot-wise in a long time. Barely B-movie quality. There was no sci-fi (there wasn't even any science), and the plot was so painfully stupid it ruined any suspension of disbelief required for the body-horror to work. The elements that drive the plot forward are either genuine "what the fuck??!?!" stupidity or incomprehensible malevolence.

Also, while evidently unintentional (the plot, characterization and dialog was too stupid for it to have been intentional), the whole movie was both very anti-science and incomprehensibly religious. Exactly how does the biogenetic creation of humans by an apparently psychotic alien race reinforce someone's Christian beliefs exactly? Or was she just wearing a crucifix to identify her as non-specifically a "religious person" because its an obvious symbol?

No science team I can ever fathom would follow some dumb bitch whose sole argument about to the mission was "because I believe". Fuck that.

Prometheus is just proof they should have ended the franchise with Aliens 2. It's been steadily downhill since there, and you can't even blame the crappyness of prometheus on the production/management snafus that owned Aiens3 and Resurrection.

Guest Jason L

Resurrection was better than Prometheus IMO. That's saying a lot about how little I liked Prometheus.......In Resurrection you can just turn you brain off, Prometheus has such incomprehensibly stupid character choices to drive the plot it's too insulting to ever reach Alpha Brain State.

Also, the giant alien penis thing in Premetheus beats out the Alien Hybrid Thing from Resurrection hands down as the dumbest biological design since ET.

Edited by Jason L

Exactly how does the biogenetic creation of humans by an apparently psychotic alien race reinforce someone's Christian beliefs exactly? Or was she just wearing a crucifix to identify her as non-specifically a "religious person" because its an obvious symbol?

Because religion is all about being scared of a superior entity? Human´s inferiority complex or inadequacy, so to speak?

Guest Jason L

So we are talking less "Python" so bad we got to see it, more "Showgirls"/"Snakes on a Plane" so bad you HAVE to never see, else you'll hate yourself?

Gotchyah.

Not really. More like "tries to be oh so serious" but "sucks worse than that pinhole into space from Resurrection". I'd compare it more to Avatar in it's brand/form of sucking than obviously B movies like Snakes on a Plane.

Guest Jason L

Oh, lots of people hate avatar, all the ones with good taste. ;)

Avatar however was designed to basically be the perfect "pedestrian" movie and succeeding brilliantly at that. It's really the logical successor to the gendre of movie started by the original Star Wars (let's be honest now, other than the SFX breakthrough Star Wars is pretty much crap just like Avatar). So it get's my grudging approval as being a good product.

Prometheus? It doesn't even follow cliche, it's just sheer stupidity the whole way and fails to suspend disbelief, which is the fundamental, "cardinal sin" of fiction.

...the original Star Wars (let's be honest now, other than the SFX breakthrough Star Wars is pretty much crap...

Star Wars had TWO good things going for it.

Darth Vader. Kinda my idol.

Sir Alex Guinness. Trying not to cry, or at times seemingly fighting of projectile vomit and clenching his ass against explosive diarrhea by the sheer mindless drivel he was given as his lines. I wonder to this day what was imparted as his character motivation for his Obi Kenobi...damn, just that name is...special. A true lesson in discomfort, re watch Star Wars - I swear he hated EVERY second on camera.

Oh, yeah, forgot the Death Star and Princess Lea in that slave outfit. But I was about ten, so forgive me.

Emotionaly, might still be. Because Princess Lea in that slave outfit is kinda..."ahem"...

That reminds me of the alleged Ewan McGregor´s trick to give his young Obi character an intense stare. He would think "Wonder what i´ll have for dinner", and actually considering the options would give him the facial expressions needed.

Oh, the things a brit has to do in Hollywood. Just look at Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes in "Whatever of the Titans", or aforementioned Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy in "Dances with Green Martians".

Edited by toysoldier

Dances with WHAT?

Oh, John Carter.

Head radar works well, missed Avatar, will never watch John Carter, Prometheus is a pass.

Dark Knight Rises, and Deadpool when he makes it.

Edited by Typhoid Maxx

OK, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes in that fantasy crap, but Neeson gets Ra's al Ghul again, so it evens out.

Christian Bale, one lucky basterd. His lowest point ever was Equilibrium, and that´s actually not bad.

Dances with WHAT?

Tormented ACW survivor finds redemption while roaming dusty plains with strangers -in this case tall, skinny, green, six limbs martians-, becomes one of them and helps them against unstoppable Evil Doers?

Guest Jason L

He's talking about John Carter, the Disney remake. Also a terrible movie :D

So has anyone actually seen something good lately?