• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see that even the Russians have got the red fire extinguisher on a green vehicle thing going on.

Yes, I have wondered before if the two green canisters are something different.

I know there has been proposed nuclear powered tanks, but has there ever been a serious proposal to arm tanks with a nuclear round?

Well, the smallest nuke projo in the US Army was 155mm. So you did have a nuclear armed tracked armored vehicle as the closest thing to it.

This is the type of bomb lost off North Carolina in 1961.

The MK 39 Mod 2 bomb did not possess adequate safety for the airborne alert role in the B-52,”

I took a course at the Sandia National Labs. Boy did they have some stories. One of the instructors was the head medical officer on this recovery (he was in his 80s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Thule_Air_Base_B-52_crash

Nice pictures Paul. Thanks for sharing them.

Topol-M towards the end. Watching this something occurred to me, the crews of these Soviet TEL's do not stay in the vehicle during launch do they? I realize anything outside of a test shot for Topol-M class of missiles would be end of days type stuff, but non nuke IRBM's and so forth have seen combat use. It would be a nasty bit of business if the rocket decided to give in to gravity at launch and came crashing down on the vehicle.

http://youtu.be/hb6plZWdhfQ

Edited by Mr King

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kinda terrifying that you could replace that whole thing with a garden variety microcontroller you can buy for < 100$

I think ICBM guidance computers are definitely one of those things that fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fuck with it" category.

If you knew how much of the global financial system is dependent on COBOL code dating back to the 1960's, you'd be very afraid.

Guest Jason L

Also, that kind of discrete components should be very impervious to ionizing radiations. I am still amazed they put a hard disk drive for storing about 10kB of data.

I would imagine the packaging is far more important than the component/architecture.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jason L

Topol means poplar in Russian. Why you'd name a missile after a tree is of course an equally important question.

Edited by Jason L