• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My second grader son has now checked this book out for the NINTH time, as I found it in the couch cushion as I flopped down after work. His school librarian was at a party we went to before Christmas and just burst out laughing about him, regaling us of his enthusiasm level and wide-ranging requests during library time.

Oh well, he got tapped for gifted and talented program starting next year and is reading at the 6th+ grade level, so he has that.

hiroshima-nagasaki-fire-sky.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a beast. IIRC a handful of B-53 warheads (same physics package as Mk6) were stored partially disassembled but not fully decommissioned, with the stated reason being planetary defense. Which sounds a little paranoid, but on the other hand if you have a perfectly working 10 megaton bombs you're retiring it makes sense to save a few for that purpose, however much of a long shot it is.

What a beast. IIRC a handful of B-53 warheads (same physics package as Mk6) were stored partially disassembled but not fully decommissioned, with the stated reason being planetary defense. Which sounds a little paranoid, but on the other hand if you have a perfectly working 10 megaton bombs you're retiring it makes sense to save a few for that purpose, however much of a long shot it is.

That was vs a possible Cloverfield scenario? :)

I think a 10 Mton bomb would do significantly more damage to New York than the Cloverfield monster. :P

Of course for asteroid deflection, the problem would be 'how do you get it there?' I guess something like Falcon Heavy could work.