Brazil Has Finally Made Up Their Mind?

wendist

Actually, the Brazilians are having a few (between 6 and 8) C-1 Traders brought out of the Arizona boneyard and upgraded along the lines of the Turbo Trackers they fly for ASW to fulfill COD, Aerial Tanking and possible AEW (although NOT with the Willy Fudd-style above-fuselage radome).

(Reuters) - Brazil's decision not to buy the American F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jet, and instead purchase an untested plane from a Swedish rival, hit the rural Missouri town of Alton this week, where Chet Sisco's family-owned company has made parts for Boeing Co planes for nearly four decades.

The Super Hornet, supplied by vendors across Missouri, looked sure to win Brazil's $4 billion-plus contract. But revelations that the U.S. National Security Agency spied on Brazil's president helped to kill the deal at the last minute.

Brazil's snub of Super Hornet, and the loss of a major F-15 deal in Korea last month, threaten St. Louis-area production lines that support Boeing employees, suppliers and municipal credit ratings.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/21/us-boeing-fighters-missouri-idUSBRE9BK07C20131221

(Reuters) - Brazil's decision not to buy the American F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jet, and instead purchase an untested plane from a Swedish rival, hit the rural Missouri town of Alton this week, where Chet Sisco's family-owned company has made parts for Boeing Co planes for nearly four decades.

The Super Hornet, supplied by vendors across Missouri, looked sure to win Brazil's $4 billion-plus contract. But revelations that the U.S. National Security Agency spied on Brazil's president helped to kill the deal at the last minute.

Brazil's snub of Super Hornet, and the loss of a major F-15 deal in Korea last month, threaten St. Louis-area production lines that support Boeing employees, suppliers and municipal credit ratings.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/21/us-boeing-fighters-missouri-idUSBRE9BK07C20131221

As far as "looked sure to win Brazil's $4 billion-plus contract", the SAAB Gripen the FAB had their minds set on it at least a couple of years ago.

Going for the more expensive Rafale or the Superbug was politics, against the wishes of the Air Force.

On the political side, Snowden probably had some effect, but so did the costs involved with the Superbug,

with the economy being fairly so and so right now and the politicians getting a lot of FlaK

for the costs involved in the football world championship and the summer Olympics.

One thing I've wondered about Brazil, since they are trying to operate a CATOBAR carrier on a budget, is why they didn't do some sort of T-45 buy when they had a chance to do so.

Already have A-4s which should last as long as the carrier.

Hell, I would have selected it based on looks alone :D

Courtesy of Tempest414 @ Key Publ Aviation forum :) :

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?121338-South-America-market-2015-2035&p=2099456#post2099456

edit: Damn! I just wanted the pic to pop up when one clicks on the link :angry: Why do I never learn to master this devilish new thing they call "Internet"??

Well, you'll simply have to double tap the tumbnail in Tempest414s post No #182 I guess...

Edited by LeoTanker

Hell, I would have selected it based on looks alone :D

Courtesy of Tempest414 @ Key Publ Aviation forum :) :

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?121338-South-America-market-2015-2035&p=2099456#post2099456

edit: Damn! I just wanted the pic to pop up when one clicks on the link :angry: Why do I never learn to master this devilish new thing they call "Internet"??

Well, you'll simply have to double tap the tumbnail in Tempest414s post No #182 I guess...

That link got me thinking.

Why did they give the Super Tucano the A-29 designation,

skiping A-13 to A-28?

Does the "29" come from the U-series, rather then the A-series?

But in that case, shouldn't it be the AU-29?

Because it's a Brazilian designation, not a US one. It doesn't have to match US numbers - & other non-US aircraft operated by the Brazilian forces ignore US designations, sometimes using a designation the USA has used for something different. And the Brazilian air force, army,& navy don't agree on designations.

The A-29 follows on from the T-27 & AT-27 (Embraer Tucano), & the T-25.(Neiva Universal).

Because it's a Brazilian designation, not a US one. It doesn't have to match US numbers - & other non-US aircraft operated by the Brazilian forces ignore US designations, sometimes using a designation the USA has used for something different. And the Brazilian air force, army,& navy don't agree on designations.

The A-29 follows on from the T-27 & AT-27 (Embraer Tucano), & the T-25.(Neiva Universal).

So the US A-29B designation was simply taken from the FAB:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/412015-L%28addendum%29.html

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...