Pizza: "New York" and "Chicago" styles

Slater

For those of us who really haven't paid much attention, what exactly is the difference between these two styles?

171441[/snapback]

NY style tends to have a thin crust and a thin layer of toppings. Chi style tends to have a thick, soft crust and a very heavy layer of toppings. IMHO the best Chi style pizza can fill you up with one slice. Best pizza I've ever had was across the street from U of C. One slice for lunch and the waitress had to assist me out of my chair.

For those of us who really haven't paid much attention, what exactly is the difference between these two styles?

171441[/snapback]

Slater , here in Phoenix is a pizza rest. rated tops in the U.S. in Feb

Don't remember the name but it's downtown on East Adams. NY style, with bar attached .I understand the lines are long.

It was rated by a New Yorker as the best in the U.S. along with usual New Haven and Brooklyn places filling out the top 10. I gave my newspaper copy to a recent Brooklyn escapee.

Chicago style pizza also available with thick crust , deep dish and so on locally.

Chicago pizza IIRC is known as "pan pizza". It is baked in an inch-deep or so pan, and comes out with a thick crust.

NY pizza is "closer" to the "original" Italian pizza - thin crust. It's not as thin as the pizzas in Italy AFAIK (the latter can be really thin), but it is definitely thinner than Chicago-style pizza.

As for personal preferences, thin crust pizza all the way! Add lots of Tabasco... mmmmmmmmmmmm.......

As for personal preferences, thin crust pizza all the way!  Add lots of Tabasco... mmmmmmmmmmmm.......

171640[/snapback]

Actually quite popular in the S.W. is Mexican Pizza.

It really a flour totrilla with melted cheese baked like a pizza.

It tends to get lots of hot sauce .. Tobasco or other sausa .

• 3 months later...

Chicago pie is hardly pizza IMO. It's more like a bread based flan or torte. The classic cheese and spinach is really rather lovely and it's one of the nice things I remeber about the windy city.

The Chicago pie has to have the thicker base or else it would rapidly become sodeen and compeltely unmanageable. Well...it's a fork food IMO anyway but then again I'm not trained in pie-fu.

Ivanhoe.....Norwegian food is pretty good. I like my lefse and lumpe. Oslo is a very nice town to dine in if you can handle the prices. Gaaa...I'm still dreaming of a return to the Stadtholder's Garden near the GPO. Bad....

Edited by Simon Tan

• 1 month later...

Thin pizza is my favorite, followed by brick oven/wood fired pizza, then the deep dish/Sicilian style pizza.

Following toppings are available:

Pepperoni

Ground Beef

Bacon

Ham

Onions

Extra Cheese

Best pizza I've had is on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ called Roma's. No idea if it is still there but I'm heading down there as soon as I get back from Afghanistan (or when the season opens for the summer shoo-bees).

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone who's ever had the misfortune to eat (yet alone subside) off of "Iranian Pizza" knows what a god awful abomination it is.

no tomato, a flabby base, tasteless cheese, and porkless sausage (I don't even want to know whats in it because its not beef, lamb or chicken!)

And you slosh on ketchup...

It grows on you after a while... Much like a fungus...

Tesco sell pretty good pizza's for 4-50 (for 2 pizza's) and there better than some places i have had pizza(in the uk and us).

• 1 month later...

Made two thick crust pizzas for last week's NFL Conference playoff games

1. Added garlic, onion and basil to dough

2. Pizza # 1: one-half bacon-cheeseburger and one-half pepperoni

2. Pizza #2: one-half sausage mushroom and one-half Canadian bacon

Friend said it was so good he was happy I hadn't made more as he would have exploded cause it was so good.

Super Bowl coming up. Going for the Touchdown Pizza (sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, green peppers) and the Extra-point special ( blackened steak and garlic w/ extra cheese)

Chicago pie is hardly pizza IMO. It's more like a bread based flan or torte. The classic cheese and spinach is really rather lovely and it's one of the nice things I remeber about the windy city.

The Chicago pie has to have the thicker base or else it would rapidly become sodeen and compeltely unmanageable. Well...it's a fork food IMO anyway but then again I'm not trained in pie-fu.

I've had both. But, I figure that if you have to eat a piece of pizza with a fork because it's 3" thick and real wet, then it's not really REAL pizza.

Any of you Nue Yawkers, Jerseyites , R.I. Reds , Chowder Heads or Nutmeggers heading this way for the Superbowl the most readily available NY style pizza pie is from Hungry Howies but it's only take out or delivery. Be sure to ask for thin crust as thick crust and deep pan is Chicagoland style.

I've had both. But, I figure that if you have to eat a piece of pizza with a fork because it's 3" thick and real wet, then it's not really REAL pizza.

Well then I don't care if you call it pizza or whatever, I prefer it over tomato sauce spread on a Ritz cracker. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like NY Style pizza, but a good, thick, airy Chicago Style pizza is absolute Nirvana. Call it "Tomato cake" if you like, I'm eating it.