Best/worst Beers?

Slater

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not stand beer until fairly recently myself (29), only exeption was an occasional Urquell or Corona and even then it wasn`t always easy to get it down. For some reason it changed short time ago and now it isn`t a problem anymore, although i prefer to drink something else before starting beer (like cider or drinks). My favorites are Kronenburg 1664, various "bier blanche" and Urquell.

• 2 weeks later...
Best:

Can't get enough

of that wonderful Duff!

Worst:

What they dring in Shelbyville ... yes: Fudd

I thought they stopped making that after all those hillbillies went blind!. :o

I thought they stopped making that after all those hillbillies went blind!. :o

I just finished a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that was fantastic and went really well with the home made beef stew that I had cooked earlier.

I don't know whether I'd call it "best", but I developed a fondness for Belgian trappist stuff lately - Chimay, etc., and the Ommegang brewery in the US also makes some good "Belgian-style" beer. Tastes great, and the 9-10% alcohol content doesn't hurt either, as far as I'm concerned. Kinda expensive, though, and in a bar they have a tendency to serve them in one of those fru-fru "goblets" instead of a decent pint glass... :)

As far as more standard stuff goes, I usually stick to either Bass Ale or Negra Modelo.

Worst is easy - some Indian beer I tried once. Nearly flavorless aside from being bitter as hell, and damn near flat. Second place, Pabst Blue Ribbon, I couldn't make myself drink it while already three sheets to the wind at a college keg party. Third place, Corona Light, tastes like grain juice unless your taste buds are already anaesthesized.

There's a microbrewery in the NW that is called New Belgium Brewing that makes some very nice varieties that would likely enjoy. They are distributed to groceries stores pretty widely here, and their reach seems to be growing.

Edited by irregularmedic

Not sure, this comes in a silver can. May be the same, but I've never had (and tend to stay away from) anything that comes in a 40 oz. bottle.

Shot

This reminds me of a guy at Ft. Riley that I saw walking down the hall with an open 40 of Schlitz Malt Liquor in each hand, I asked him what the hell he was doing with them and he said "Coaxing" it still makes me laugh when I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Philistine. Spaten is yummy!

If you'll notice, that is the "IMPORTED" USian version of "Spaten".

Spaten that is bottled at the source is pure ambrosia. It's the bottled by Minnesota Brewing Company, and then beaten to submission stuff that tastes like dirt.

I was down at the grocery store last night and saw a 12 of Rolling Rock in the bottle. In a fit of nostalgia for college days, I picked it up. It's sitting unopened in the fridge tonight, I think I'm going to open it and take a trip down Memory Lane.

[Edit] and yes, in college we mostly drank Milwaukee's Beast, but I said I wanted a trip down Memory Lane, not Nightmare Alley...

I was down at the grocery store last night and saw a 12 of Rolling Rock in the bottle. In a fit of nostalgia for college days, I picked it up.
You made a mistake; obvious to you by now. The Latrobe brewery was bought out some time ago, your experience proves that I was right to avoid the post buy-out offering.

Shot

You made a mistake; obvious to you by now. The Latrobe brewery was bought out some time ago, your experience proves that I was right to avoid the post buy-out offering.

Shot

Is that why it tasted like shit?

I was thinking to myself, "I thought this was GOOD back in 1991?"

• 4 weeks later...

My all-time favorite: Shiner Bock, brewed in Shiner, Texas

other faves:

1. Anything from the Badger Brewing company, Blandford St. Mary, Dorset, England

2. John Smiths

3. Alaskan Amber

4. Maisel's Weiss beers, Bayreuth, Germany

5. Paulaner Oktoberfest Beer

Least Favorites:

1. Anything in a can, with the exception of John Smiths

2. Any p#$s water beer, Bud family, Keystone, Milwaukees Best, etc.

3. Peroni, too sweet

4. Coors light (over did it in younger years...)

5. Anchor Steam, just don't get that one.

I tried Innis & Gunn Island Cask a couple of days ago. It's an ale that has been aged in whiskey casks, which gives it a notable smoky whiskey flavor. I found it to be a truly excellent beer, and now I'm somewhat pissed of that I can't get any more of it, since the Swedish Systembolaget monopoly has sold out their local share of the limited edition of about 30 000 bottles. Speaking of ales, two very nice seasonal winter ales are Young's Winter Warmer and St. Peter's Winter Ale. Oh, and I still haven't found a Samuel Adams beer from the Boston Beer Company that I don't like (ok, I haven't tried Samuel Adams Light yet...). :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Good stuff that (actually, I like the normal Oak Aged as well). For a weird american beer, try this

it's actually quite good.

could be, but they deserve to be keelhauled for putting such an ugly label on a beer bottle

Chibuku. I never actually tried the stuff when I lived in Zimbabwe, but I remember that it always looked really foul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A965036

"Conversely, precisely not like Lambrusco at all, chibuku contains lumps of partially digested maize-porridge which require some degree of mastication. Generically, chibuku is an opaque beer, which is to say it contains sediment. Actually, chibuku contains lumps of matter, not dissimilar in texture to cottage cheese, which may or may not be related to sawdust."

I try to be open minded, but I will never drink a beer that requires chewing.