Best/worst Beers?

Slater

worst: I don't know and I'd rather never find out.

Best: Bell's Oberon, from Kalamazoo's biggest little brewery. Nice to be able to go to most beer-serving eateries in the area and find they have Oberon when it's in season.

But then 'best' is all relative when talking local brew: Bell's porter is a fave as well.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst:

Piels

Now I've thrown back quite a bit of beer over the years and have gotten sick after a night of boozing. But the *only* time I ever hurled on beer was after downing three quick lukewarm Piels while working as a lifeguard one summer.

A local old coot who used to hang at our beach would discretely sip beer all day. One day he had a few left, I was parched, so I took the three cans and sat in the lifeguard stand for a few minutes after the work day. Before I made it 200 yards towards the lifeguard station with the equipment it was erupting out of me and I was on my hands and knees. :huh:

I do like PBR though.

I don't know whether I'd call it "best", but I developed a fondness for Belgian trappist stuff lately - Chimay, etc., and the Ommegang brewery in the US also makes some good "Belgian-style" beer. Tastes great, and the 9-10% alcohol content doesn't hurt either, as far as I'm concerned. Kinda expensive, though, and in a bar they have a tendency to serve them in one of those fru-fru "goblets" instead of a decent pint glass... :)

As far as more standard stuff goes, I usually stick to either Bass Ale or Negra Modelo.

Worst is easy - some Indian beer I tried once. Nearly flavorless aside from being bitter as hell, and damn near flat. Second place, Pabst Blue Ribbon, I couldn't make myself drink it while already three sheets to the wind at a college keg party. Third place, Corona Light, tastes like grain juice unless your taste buds are already anaesthesized.

Edited by Matt Urbanski

Hit the Balkans (former YU); and grab hold of Niksicko in a 2l; about a dollar. Lav (blue with, with a Lion) about the same, dollar a pop for 2l.

Of the Croatian beers, Ozujsko is pretty good.

Hit the Balkans (former YU); and grab hold of Niksicko in a 2l; about a dollar. Lav (blue with, with a Lion) about the same, dollar a pop for 2l.

Rubberneck and I got pretty nauseous drinking Niksicko at the Brickskeller in DC the night NATO started bombing Serbia.

"Huh, they have a beer from Montenegro on the menu?"

"Niksicko? Totally sick-o. . . "

Rubberneck and I got pretty nauseous drinking Niksicko....

How come; too much beer or it just didnt agree?

Heh. Funny thing, I got pretty drunk myself that night, as I recall...which aint much ;)

How come; too much beer or it just didnt agree?

Yes. ;)

Actually, with something like 1800 different beers, i think the lack of rotation among certain stock at that bar hurts the beers.

I think worst ever for me was Thailand-brewed Tiger Beer... I guess that's how tiger urine might taste...

My favs are: Kilkenny during cold winter or Finnish Lapin Kulta during hot summer.. ;)

Reminds me of old joke: What is in common with couple making love in boat and Bud Lite ? Both are fucking close to water... :lol:

Edited by Sardaukar

I don't believe in a best, as variety is the spice of life. One can come up with a top 20 or whatever, but even the beer you think is #1 would get stale if you were stuck with no other for a couple of years.

That said, of the beers I've drunk so far, on my list I'd put St. Pauli Girl dark, Warsteiner, Samuel Smith's Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada porter, and a local microbrew from the Weeping Radish (can't recall the name, it was a seasonal that involved dropping a heated stone into the beer to partially caramelize it).

Best depends on category.....

Heavy dark beer - Aventinus doppelbock

unfiltered wheat - Franziskaner heffe vissen closely followed by Pyramid wheat (it's way less costly)

nice powerful beer US made - Fritz Maytag Anchor Steam

Local Beer - St Arnold wheat

When I'm messin' with the women folk - Bud light, Miller lite, Coors light, white wine spritzer

Have you by any chance been to Serbia or had the opertunity to drink with a Serb yet?

I've been lucky enough to drink with Serbs, but never been to Serbia unfortunately.

but never been to Serbia unfortunately.

Something that should rectified in the future, my good man. I do believe you’d appreciate the local mentality, and would make an admirable good will ambassador. Your attitude does you credit. ;)

• 2 months later...
Something that should rectified in the future, my good man. I do believe you’d appreciate the local mentality, and would make an admirable good will ambassador. Your attitude does you credit. ;)

I had some truly marvelous Draft Weihenstephan Oktoberfest beer last weekend at an upscale watering hole. If I had the coinage, I'd love to bring home a half barrel of the stuff and keep it in the cellar. Good stuff!

I'm still a big fan of Winklerbraeu Lengenfeld's Kupfer Spezial. My local Netto finally agreed to carry it, and save me 25 km of driving to get it from the source. My first rack was delightful. Looking forward to my second.

Kupfer Spezial is a dark, extremely smooth beer. Really don't have a bad thing to say about it, though sometime I like a hoppier beer, and get a Helles, instead.

Edited by 120mm

Not a beer person, so far found only two beers I did like, both from the same producer. Name's Bernard, dunno if it goes abroad, prolly not much. The beerts aren't pasteurised so have shorter shelf life but are excellent with barbecue :) Other than that, I don't drink too much, and if I do I prefer wine from Moravia.