Best/worst Beers?

Slater

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best? I would say Tusker, but that isn't honestly true. :lol: I do love Tusker, but there are better beers. Fischer D'Alsace is really good, as is Budwar (Czech)

Worst? hmmm Meisterbrau... or some of the "Inner City" malt liquors, like Old Englishe 800 or such.

Jeremy

A serious candidate for the worst is Michelob Ultra, which is a low carb pseudobeer. Really awful. Coors and Coors Light are ambrosial in comparison.

I don't think there is a single "best beer" as one's palate will prefer different types at different times. When I want a stout, its Guinness. When I want a porter, its Sierra Nevada. Amber lager, Warsteiner Premium Verum. Dark lager, St. Pauli Girl. Ale, its a tough call.

It depends a bit on your taste offcourse...

I absolutely love Guinness as a stout. Murphy's stout isn't bad either. For the red beers I prefer Kilkenny and Palm. Lager, if I drink it, it is Grolsch.

Worst beer, also hard to tell. I despise Budweiser; it tastes like sewer water. Heineken and Oranjeboom aren't much better. My worst hangover of all times was when I spend the night drinking Oranjeboom; never have drunk it after that.

you should come to Czech republic, home of the best beer in the world :). well when we asked our english teacher in the university why did she come to teach in the Czech republic (she's from england), she said it was because of the beer ....of course after the term finished we all went to have some nice ammount of beer...

I'd recomend Pilsner Urquel ( you can buy it in US too), maybe Gambrinus :)

I like Scottish ales, most every English beer I have tried, and of course German, Irish, and American microbrewery beers. One of the Oregon ones makes a spruce ale that is very interesting and goes well with French and Indian war gaming. One of the joys of the Oregon coast are microbrewery/restaurant combinations; they are easy to find over there.

The worst were one each from Africa and Korea; both came in big bottles, and tasted like embalming fluid.

I like Scottish ales, most every English beer I have tried, and of course German, Irish, and American microbrewery beers. One of the Oregon ones makes a spruce ale that is very interesting and goes well with French and Indian war gaming. One of the joys of the Oregon coast are microbrewery/restaurant combinations;  they are easy to find over there.

The worst were one each from Africa and Korea; both came in big bottles, and tasted like embalming fluid.

153124[/snapback]

That's probably because some brewers DO use formaldehyde to preserve their beers. :blink:

A pal of mine who was stationed in Korea found this out himself, much to his discomforture. :angry:

He never drank Korean beer again.

Edited by John Dudek

Worst: So many choices. Maybe Coors?

Best: Heck, I don't know. Had some decent brews when I was stationed in the UK.

152898[/snapback]

So many beers, so little time! :lol:

Jeesh! Where do I start? For my money, the UK's Bitters are EXCELLENT! Germany and the Czech Republic hold the Crown Title for Best Lagers.

America's Micro-brews are GRATE and getting better. Many of their India Pale Ale's would give the Mother Country a run for it's money.

I have to beg your pardon, though. On a blistering, hot, summer day, nothing tastes better to me than pounding down a litre of ice-cold, Coors Lager.

Yup. It's nothing like its European counterparts, of course, it isn't meant to be.

It IS like "making love in a canoe"- f@cking close to water, but it kills a thirst like nothing else!

That's probably because some brewers DO use formaldehyde to preserve their beers.  :blink: 

A pal of mine who was stationed in Korea found this out himself, much to his discomforture. :angry:

He never drank Korean beer again.

153159[/snapback]

When we went to Team Spirit '89 we spent our first couple of days set up in a field across the road from a brewery, near Chun'Chon, IIRC. It smelled like a poorly-run funeral home. This was the same brand I tried later, but I can't remember the brand name. The pizza joint at Camp Page sold the stuff.

Worst? Hard to say. I thought Michelob Dark was overrated.

I'll have to disagree with Rubberneck in that I like Stella Artois & Corona. They're good, but not great.

The best German beer I had was Patrizier which is brewed in Nurnberg. For local stuff, I like Boulevard Pale Ale & Sierra Nevada (any kind).

Asked a buddy of mine which was his favorite beer. His answer - "cold". :lol:

Worst (for me) : Excelsior. I discover this beer with High School (US 10st Grade IIRC), we bought it only because it costed 24 french franc (3.65€ or 4.9 US$) for 24 beers !

McDonald's was at 200 meters from High School and Supermarcket 350 meters ...

Best (for me) : Madison, a Grand Marnier flavored one. You drink it like milk and you feel the ground start moving before you were expecting it ! :D

Edited by Zaraguina

I do like Heineken and Corona occasionally, but only if they're ice-cold (way too expensive anyway). Being the peasant I am, I generally drink Labatt Ice.. used to do Molson Dry but got sick of it after 15 years. Ain't a connoiseur by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like beer (a shot of rye on the side works too!). Gimme a double Absolut with oj anytime. Good for the digestion. Bombay & tonic in the summer.

Nothing is more disgusting than Labatt 50. It'll be coming out your back end for days afterwards.

Not having experienced any of the European beers, that I can remember, I like Michelob the best and their winter sampler case for a little variety. During a hot day I find the best drink is cool water. Just my two cents.

Guest AdamMachell
you should come to Czech republic, home of the best beer in the world :). well when we asked our english teacher in the university why did she come to teach in the Czech republic (she's from england), she said it was because of the beer ....of course after the term finished we all went to have some nice ammount of beer...

I'd recomend Pilsner Urquel ( you can buy it in US too), maybe Gambrinus :)

152980[/snapback]

Been there, done that. The Czech beer is great. I still prefer the Germen Hefeweizen though.

What ends up in the US, with the same name, is not anywhere near the quality. The only place I can find to get true European beer is through the Claas 6 store on the military base.

• 2 years later...

Best: Grolsch

Worst: Carling Black Label. Maybe the black label should have warned me that it was something like rat-poison. Or maybe the cognac I was drinking with it had something to do with the experience.

Shot

I had some draft Houblon Chouffe tonight and it went well with a pork tenderloin sandwich chased down by a chocolate & pecan pie.

Worst: Pabst Blue ribbon, colt 45 and any other Usian inner city malt liqour yuck

Best: When I was in Germany I fell in love with several, Maissels (sp) Hefe Weizen, any beer brewed by HB, Licher beer, and that damned beer with that fat Monk smiling on the label that stuff was awesome..As for the UK and Irish stuff, Bodingtons and Guiness as for the rest of Europe Stella Artois, Grolsch, and Budwar....

I'm not a big fan of beer/lager, but Jupiler beer from Belgium was excellent. It was very tasty, not gassy and very smooth. It was also sneaky, as you would spend a couple of hours gently quaffing with no ill effects... until you tried to stand up and found your gyros had toppled.

The worst? Any of the supermarket budget fizzy piss.

I'm not much of a beer guy...Velko, aka. Velkopopovický Kozel (a Czech beer) is probably my favourite. Worst, dunno...I've managed to stay off from worst bunch of cheapo-ass industrialized beers...

well i love the Belgian beer personally especially the golden beers hoogarrden a lovely fruity taste cleans the pattlte and the rich dark taste of duval with a massive head .

worst well can't think of a bad beer