Micro Armor In Sf Bay Area

Mk 1

For those who are interested ... this weekend there is a gaming Con in San Ramon: http://www.dundracon.com/

At the Con on Sunday, there will be a micro-armor game of the Allied attack at St. Lo (Normandy Campaign, July 1944): http://microarmor.dyndns.org/

Rules are Panzer War, by our own local game-minded fellow, Mobius: http://www.panzer-war.com/index.html

I'm not involved in organizing the con or the game, but I plan to participate. Any others of the pewter-pushing mind should consider coming as well.

-Mark 1

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding in some choice pics of the micro-armor game we held in San Ramon, linked from Mobius' website.

The view across the Boccage towards St Lo:

US Recon elements (jeeps and M8 Greyhounds) run face-first into the German defenses. SdKfz 234 Pumas block the road, Panthers fill the hedgerows, and PzIVs await in reserve. The exchange of fire was brief, spectacular, and VERY one-sided:

A P-47 goes Panther-hunting. (It missed. :( )

The Americans push up the center. M4 Shermans and M10 TDs take their toll on Panthers. (Green beads mark where the hedgerows have been breached.)

How many Shermans does it take to kill one stinking Panther, anyways?

A brave but futile stand by a platoon of PzIVHs on the left:

He he he. I think I should play MORE micro-armor.

-Mark 1

My micro armour A13's will slice and dice your Sherman M4's if they could ever make it to the battlefield! I think I also have early PzIV's and Matilda's. They were great toys for a boy travelling Europe.

My micro armour A13's will slice and dice your Sherman M4's if they could ever make it to the battlefield! I think I also have early PzIV's and Matilda's. They were great toys for a boy travelling Europe.

And they are great toys for an old fart sitting home baby-sitting on a weekend! :P

I'm just finishing up my Italian forces. So alla your A13s are-a belonga ta us!

No Bay-Area micro-armor gamers left at TankNet? Hmmm? So when I get a game together next month, no need to bother posting on TankNet about it?

Too bad.

-Mark 1

Wait!! Wait!!! I'm coming, I'm coming. Let me get back up to the bay though! (In a week)

Good Grief! Nick, if you still want to play with toy tanks, it would be my most humble pleasure to host that event just about any day, any time, any place you choose.

In the style of our often missed Colonel (now Brigadier?) Supatra: Please to imagine smart salute.

-Mark 1

And they are great toys for an old fart sitting home baby-sitting on a weekend! :P

I'm just finishing up my Italian forces.  So alla your A13s are-a belonga ta us!

No Bay-Area micro-armor gamers left at TankNet?  Hmmm?  So when I get a game together next month, no need to bother posting on TankNet about it? 

Too bad.

-Mark 1

150825[/snapback]

Modern or WW2??

I'm generally a modern gamer, though I did have a 1940/41 Italian Ariete division in 1/300 lying around somewhere. Not sure where the models are though, could likely still be in Ireland.

I can cover a pretty broad range with my kit. I mostly game at a 1-to-1 unit scale, so when I describe unit sizes, its tank-for-tank.

I have US, Soviets, French, and a small amount of Brits and Germans for WWII. I've just started on Italians, and have managed to paint up enough for a game if we hold to company-sized units. (But at 1-to-1 unit scale, its best to hold each player to about a company anyways.)

The "gang" I managed to fall into with, from the recent DunDraCon, so far are mostly interested in WWII 1-to-1 gaming.

I actually have more Moderns than WWII.

NATO v. WARPAC cold war from 1945 to 1950, and then from mid-60s to about '90.

USMC -- same dates for non-Mainland Europe scenarios.

Modern French -- either part of Mainland Europe from 1970s through about '98, or FAR contingents for non-Mainland Europe scenarios.

Soviets -- from mid-60s to about '90. Tank, or Motor Rifles, or Air Assault, or Paras.

Chinese -- I can toss together a minor force from Mid-60s to about '90.

And of course I have enough AML A/Cs to provide for an Irish Armored Cav detatchement if needed. ;)

I have a broad enough range to provide many interesting possibilities, covering the kit for both sides if needed.

However I'm not current with any set of modern rules. I've been working up my understanding and play experience with Mobius' WWII Panzer War rules. I like them. He has a modern rules addendum, called Airland War. But I haven't even looked at them yet.

They are available for download at: www.panzer-war.com

But then I also have about 6 or 8 other rule systems laying around that I've played over the years. We can dig one out if needed.

So .. what's yer pleasure?

-Mark 1

I've been a great fan of Command Decision/Combined Arms. (1 model = platoon)

I need to look up the CD3 modern rules, usually I would run something which kindof combined CA and CD2. I do have them though.

NTM

I've been a great fan of Command Decision/Combined Arms. (1 model = platoon)

I need to look up the CD3 modern rules, usually I would run something which kindof combined CA and CD2. I do have them though.

So is that what you want to play? I'll be a fumble-bum with the rules, so you'll need to be the rules-meister. But at least I can put together the playing board, the models, and a scenario.

What timeframe, and which nation's kit do you want to clang-and-burn?

-Mar 1

If I can get to San Francisco, would my WW2 Italians (2+ bns) or modern Iraqis or Israelis (70s era) or WW2 Americans, western desert Brits, or Russians be welcome?

If I can get to San Francisco, would my WW2 Italians (2+ bns) or modern Iraqis or Israelis (70s era) or WW2 Americans, western desert Brits, or Russians be welcome?

Si naturalmente. Bienvenuto!

Da, tovarische!

כמובן. קבלת פנים.

Aye, matey, tha' they would!

-Mark 1

You know, I have a similar setup in 1/72 and 1/76 scale.  (about 200 assembled models and another 200 or so still in the box).

Tim, you just seem to go for tanks in the larger scales. :P

I mean, I've SEEN some of your "unassembled" tanks. One shudders to consider 200 of them "still in the box". :lol:

More seriously -- 200 tanks in 20mm (approx) scale? That's quite a bit. Must take up a fair bit of room.

Do you do any wargaming with them?

-Mark 1

Before I started building the 1to1 scale stuff I had a 12'x8' battle board in the baement. It was built with HO scale train accessories. I had a few doze buildings so I could set up towns, farms, and whatever. The board could be re-arranged to do different types of scenarios but the hill, pond, and creek were fixed. We use ASL rules modified to fit the board.

I had over 2000 painted troops (I guess I still have them boxed up actually). The better the paint job, the better the morale factor.

Anybody in the DC metro area do Micro Armour? I have a slew of moderns (ok, probably not as many as some, but about 800) and about 150 WWII (US and German). Moderns are on my new web page MicroArmorMayhem.com.

Pat Callahan

Deliberately duplicating a post from the SF Bay Area thread in the FFZ:

Nick:

You game with the army you have, not with the army you'd like to have.

(Did I really say that???  :rolleyes: )

We should have enough stuff for moderns of almost any era or conflict, real or imagined.

I have a Ping-Pong table to set up as a gaming board.  5x10 foot.  C.G. can bring battle-board tiles, or I can cover it with a felt cloth and contour elevations. 

If you can't find rules, we can try some we have.

C.G. -- you got a preferred set of rules?

I have WRG rules (Armor and Infantry 1950-2000).  Could also pull a copy of Mobius' rules (Airland War).  Both are 1-to-1 unit scale.

But the organizing takes a bit of time.  So I kinda need us to set our plan soon ... like today.

-Mark 1

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow over at the GHQmodels forum has developed CIP panels for micro-armor.

Free for download at: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/mandt...anels600dpi.jpg

The idea is to print on paper, glue onto styrene sheet, cut with xacto, paint edges, and affix to your OIF M1s, Brads, Hummers and AAV-7s.

Whadya'll think?

-Mark 1

Interesting idea. Of course, I mainly game WWIII, so not a hell of a lot of use for me.

I do something similar with houses. Print out something, then use a lot of folds, tabs and tape, and presto, you have a building.

NTM

Of course, I mainly game WWIII, so not a hell of a lot of use for me.

Nick:

Based on your earlier post here that you have some Italian micros, and your participation in the Tunisia thread where you indicated your inclination to do Italians ... would you be interested in a US vs. Italians in Tunisia game?

I'm working on a scanario for either the first or second clash at Sened Station on the Gabes - Macknassey Road (Rte 13), in January of 1943. Hope to be able to gather 4 or 5 gamers to bash it out within the next couple of weeks.

-Mark 1

Just for fun, and to keep the micro-enthusiasts engaged, I thought I might post a couple more pics.

Here are some of my Shermans, from my most recent acquisition of a GHQ Combat Command kit of a Sherman company. No decals used, all painting by hand. Terrain is a quick toss-together -- felt cover on the ping-pong table with a few houses and trees.

Sherman Coy HQ support unit rolling through town. Visible crewmen (gunners and riders) come from the GHQ Armored Infantry kit. Many of the buildings are my own castings of scratch-built masters. (Sad to say that may be obvious ... :unsure: ).

Dedicated to Froggy, Black Berret, FR Bomberman and any other Leclerc drivers out there... Yes, modern gaming is welcome in my garage too!

"Gunner, co-ax, trash cans in the open"

Wait a minute! That's not Micro-Armor! Now how did THAT one sneak in here...? :lol:

-Mark 1

Nick:

Based on your earlier post here that you have some Italian micros, and your participation in the Tunisia thread where you indicated your inclination to do Italians ...  would you be interested in a US vs. Italians in Tunisia game?

I'm working on a scanario for either the first or second clash at Sened Station on the Gabes - Macknassey Road (Rte 13), in January of 1943.  Hope to be able to gather 4 or 5 gamers to bash it out within the next couple of weeks.

-Mark 1

159547[/snapback]

I might well be. Damned if I know if I brought my Italians along with me, they're probably in Ireland still waiting to be picked up...

NTM

• 3 weeks later...

Any Bay Area TankNetters up for a day of Micro-Armor wargaming this Sunday?

I propose:

1) At my place. In my garage. On my Ping-Pong table.

2) Sunday, 4/17, From 10:00am to 5:00pm.

Lunch, and beer, are included in the price of admission!

3) WW2. U.S. vs. Italians in Tunisia, January 1943. Might add Germans, or Brits, or even Free French as needed to suit number of players who show up.

4) I have enough equipment to supply all sides. Bring your own micro armor too, if you'd like.

5) Rules: Panzer War by our fellow TankNetter Mobius. Found at: www.panzer-war.com

I propose we do tanks, AT guns, and infantry. Pass on artillery and air for now, until we have higher proficiency/familiarity with the rules.

I have a full print out of the most current version. Bring your own print-out too if you'd like.

Please feel free to propose changes to any of the 5 key points of the proposal.

Post here to reply, or PM me. I might be able to find a couple other guys (non-tanknetters) who are interested to join the game, too.

-Mark 1