tanknet.org

Chinese Type 99 MBT

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How important would you state a MRS to be, in terms of main gun accuracy & range? Can a non MRS equipped tank achieve equivalent results by virtue of good stabilization and FCS alone?

313586[/snapback]

There are several names for the system. MRS is the Americans choice. It is very, very important for sustaining accuracy especially during long range engagements and extreme weather changes. It also allows crews to conduct continous operations whereas time for boresighting may not be available and still achieve a very high PH factor.

All heavy metal tubes bend and change their "orientation" even due to the changing position of the sun during the day. This can even happen with a thermal sleeve or wrap on the gun tube. This movement is tiny to the eye but effects accuracy and consistancy. These systems help to correct for this movement.

And the US, at least thay had, maybr now not.

My father claimed to have been "run over" by tanks during training in the Tank Destroyers in WW2.

But the regimen involved digging a fox hole with hide, and then getting run over. Not just laying down in the road.

I've also seen pictures and read of Soviet era training involving recruits in 1/2m deep trenches being run over by tanks. Even by the treads. All part of a deliberate effort to prevent "tank terror".

-Mark 1

Recently, a second modified variant of the ZTZ-99 has appeared in select PLA units, with what appears to be a narrower turret (fitted with fewer reactive armor "bricks"). Additionally, the turret roof is flat...without the obvious "hump" clearly visible on both the ZTZ-98 and the older variant of the ZTZ-99. The lack of the "hump" could indicate the use of a new or modified automatic loader. When I first discovered the new variant, I intially thought that the tank was actually a modified MBT 2000 export tank. Since then, I've changed my mind; while the new variant of the ZTZ-99 could be intended for the export market, it is much more likely that it's a modified ZTZ-99 and not related to the MBT 2000. Here are some comparison pics:

Guest JamesG123

Its hard to judge precisely with out two comparitive photos from the same angle, but it looks to me like it is just the rounded cast turret roof (the "hump") has been replaced with a sloping flat plate with maybe a little extra height on the front armor array. Looking at the positioning of the TC cupola and Gunner's hatch/sights, it seems to have the same angle or height as the humped turret.

My guess is that it was done to simplify manufacturing.

It's based on T-72.

Jim,

Here is another detail photo on 99式 turret add-on armor.

314260[/snapback]

Any ideas of the differences between the T-72 hull and the Type 98/99's? I'm asking from a modeling standpoint, Trumpeter produces the Type 98 in 1/35 scale but they've comprimised the hull in lieu of motorization. So it is longer and wider compared to a T-72 hull.

Guest pfcem
Recently, a second modified variant of the ZTZ-99 has appeared in select PLA units, with what appears to be a narrower turret (fitted with fewer reactive armor "bricks"). Additionally, the turret roof is flat...without the obvious "hump" clearly visible on both the ZTZ-98 and the older variant of the ZTZ-99. The lack of the "hump" could indicate the use of a new or modified automatic loader. When I first discovered the new variant, I intially thought that the tank was actually a modified MBT 2000 export tank. Since then, I've changed my mind; while the new variant of the ZTZ-99 could be intended for the export market, it is much more likely that it's a modified ZTZ-99 and not related to the MBT 2000.

I don't think that the "new" turret is actually narrower. It appears to me that it just has the front portion angled so that it is narrower at the "point" while the earlier turret is "straight".

old.................new

_____........._____

|------|.........|------|

|------|.........|------|

|------|..........\___/

Sorry, too lazy to draw it.

Any ideas of the differences between the T-72 hull and the Type 98/99's?  I'm asking from a modeling standpoint, Trumpeter produces the Type 98 in 1/35 scale but they've comprimised the hull in lieu of motorization.  So it is longer and wider compared to a T-72 hull.

314281[/snapback]

Yes,99式 hull is longer then T-72.Most Chinese source suggest that 99式 has a hull dimension as length 11m(with gun)/7.3m(without gun) height 2m and width 3.4m.

Hmmm.... a really nasty thought just crossed my mind. Imagine doing that with a tank using hydropneumatic suspension then, right after the crunchie's legs disappear under the tank, lowering the whole vehicle ever.... so..... slowly...... <_<

313649[/snapback]

Or may be you can stop over him and start turning in place, similar to the German movie Stalingrad. The T-34 buried a German soldier in hole doing that. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

That is something I never saw or even heard about...way cool. Was it in series production? Performance? Thanks a lot guys, I love seeing all this obscure stuff.

170mm actualy.

322473[/snapback]

The section of the book [PDF form] called... err, sorry I'm at the Uni right now and can't think of the name, but it deals with MBTs of different countries throughout the Cold War, says 175mm. But since you probably know more than I do, you're probably right. Do you have any more easily accessible online sources or pdfs?

That is something I never saw or even heard about...way cool. Was it in series production? Performance? Thanks a lot guys, I love seeing all this obscure stuff.

I'm not sure if the book says. They just seem to have general information on MBTs and then add pictures of obscure variants. :P Bojan probably has more information.

This is what the article states. Thought bolded parts would be even more interesting:

Several North Korean SP mounts on Type 59 chassis have been spotted with 122mm, 130mm, 152mm and 175mm guns/howitzers between 1975 and 1985, also exported to Iran.