• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Nigeria takes delivery of first batch of Chinese VT4s

The Nigerian Army on 8 April received the first batch of 17 armoured vehicles from china. These included examples of the VT4 (MBT-3000) main battle tank, ST1 8x8 wheeled tank destroyer and SH5 105mm wheeled self-propelled howitzers from the China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO).

Nigeria’s Army Chief of Policy and Plans, Lt Gen Lamidi Adeosun, said the process of acquiring the new vehicles ‘has been on for some time’.

He added: ‘From this, you can see how serious the Federal Government of Nigeria is in making sure that the Nigerian Army is not only equipped but contains the problem of insecurity.’

The new equipment is to be used in the country’s far north where government forces continue to carry out counterinsurgency operations against Boko Haram.

Shephard Defence Insight reports that a VT4 has a unit cost of $5.25 million. Until now the only export customer outside China was Thailand, with 48 units from a total order of 52 having been delivered.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I wasn't familiar with the Type 69-IIG designation so decided to try and learn a bit using Google (with all the drawbacks and pitfalls that can entail as well). The Type 69-IIG seems to be a Bangladeshi variant/upgrade with a bi-axi stabilisied 83A "improved L7" which is apparently NATO-compatible. Its also semi-automatic (?) and capable of firing ATGM's.

Wikipedia also lists a number of other enhancements to the 69-IIG including new FCS, a laser range-finder (internal I guess unlike the external box above the gun on the 69-II?), TI sights and combat data link. Quite impressive really.

That's not a bad upgrade package considering how basic the original design was. Are there any numbers of Type 69-IIG's in the Bangladeshi Army?

As far as the Iraqi variant with the 125mm smoothbore gun and auto-loader; was that just a prototype or were there any numbers actually converted?

It seems like the story of the T-54/T-55 and its foreign-produced counterparts really doesn't have an ending...or at least not yet anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread but I have been digging into the ZTZ 98/99 for a bunch of years now and a lot of the history is still murky, even at the early deployments.  Is there any consensus yet on when the first ZTZ-99 went into active service?  In essence, in 2001 what version was in the hands of the Chinese troops?  Was it the Type 98G (or ZTZ-99 depending on the contradictory reference) with early modular armor? 

I both love and hate this tank. . . 

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, KV7 said:

VT-5 has a 12.7mm + 40mm RWS which is nice:

Though I still question the utility of a light tank which is not airmobile. The drop in protection and firepower due to going from 50 T to 36 T is too great, and a 36 T vehicle cannot do anything useful that a 50 T vehicle cannot (if you are needing to do long road marches with little fuel then something has gone very wrong - and even here it is not clear that the light tank has a higher 'bang per gallon' ratio).

VT5_light_weight_main_battle_tank_MBT_NO

Answering a 2-yr old post:

During the height of tension between India and China, there was a Chinese news report why they deployed the Type-15 Light Tank and it was mainly to do with the altitude. I quote from Wiki but it's essentially what the news report said:

"Because in high altitude air becomes thin and engines start to lose power.[3] But Type-15 light tank can operate at high altitudes with its powerful engine and oxygen generators."

On 2/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, chino said:

Answering a 2-yr old post:

During the height of tension between India and China, there was a Chinese news report why they deployed the Type-15 Light Tank and it was mainly to do with the altitude. I quote from Wiki but it's essentially what the news report said:

"Because in high altitude air becomes thin and engines start to lose power.[3] But Type-15 light tank can operate at high altitudes with its powerful engine and oxygen generators."

It's a bizarre, nonsensical explanation, to be completely honest.

Another Chinese fairy tale, like bustle loader for APFSDS in Type 99, super strong armor on Type 04 IFV etc.

Edited by bojan