Chinese Type 99 MBT

Davin

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting as modern SPAAG are getting to be quite rare thing - although this can apparently take 4 missiles it would be fair to say it is a gun based system. The Chinese truck mounted CIWS platform (LD-2000) also quite interesting.

Interesting as modern SPAAG are getting to be quite rare thing - although this can apparently take 4 missiles it would be fair to say it is a gun based system. The Chinese truck mounted CIWS platform (LD-2000) also quite interesting.

Where are the missiles mounted?

Missiles can apparently be mounted outside of the guns, 2X2, although maybe it was a project that never was carried through. I might be wrong though.

Edited by KV7

I imagine SPAAG's are going to make a come back as militaries wrestle with how to best defeat drones and micro drones. Probably going to see combo SPAAG / Missile / ECM platforms.

Or laser platforms such as what the US Army has worked up for the Stryker.

I imagine SPAAG's are going to make a come back as militaries wrestle with how to best defeat drones and micro drones. Probably going to see combo SPAAG / Missile / ECM platforms.

Or laser platforms such as what the US Army has worked up for the Stryker.

Yeah agreed, though I don't think most will have the laser tech.

Drones can fly between trees and buildings, even inside buildings. Dedicated vehciles would too rarely be in a position to intercept.

I rather expect RCWS (remote controlled weapon stations) with 5.56 to 20 mm calibre gun and a +90°/-15° x 360° field of fire with 24/7 useful sensor and laser rangefinder.

The 12.7 to 20 mm guns would also be relevant against helicopters.

Software-based radios CAN be programmed to serve as jammers. Vehicle-mounted radars could thus be linked to a simple (Yagi) directional antenna mounted on the RCWS and directed at drones. This antenna could jam (particularly if several vehicles are doing this at the same time) the radio downlink of the drone IF the drone's radio link is covered by the range of bandwidths of the vehicle radios.

Cheap missiles like RBS-23 (likely too simple to defeat high end combat aircraft) can serve as battleield ShoRAD against expensive munitions (cruise missiles, ATACMS-like missiles, drones above 5,000 ft)), while expensive missiles (vertically launched air combat missile derivatives such as AIM-120, Meteor, MICA, IRIS-T SL etc) may serve as air defence against high end platforms.

At the lowest end small arms (possibly including shotguns) and nets (particularly for bivouac) may serve as defence againt sparrow bird-sized micro drones.

Autonomous small bird-like drones with EFP warhead and days of endurance could become a terrible threat to the troops (and the tires + other exposed important components of vehicles).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice looking vehicle. I'm not too sure of what to make from the results of a Google search on the ZBD-03 which came up with "The ZBD-03 is derived from the BMD-3", is there any truth to that?

The Russian airforce still uses the venerable IL-76 to ferry around BMD's among others, what kind of transport aircraft does the PLAAF use for the same purpose?

Nice looking vehicle. I'm not too sure of what to make from the results of a Google search on the ZBD-03 which came up with "The ZBD-03 is derived from the BMD-3", is there any truth to that?

The Russian airforce still uses the venerable IL-76 to ferry around BMD's among others, what kind of transport aircraft does the PLAAF use for the same purpose?

I can't say much for the ZBD-03.

They have 17 or so Il-76s but they recently developed their own version called the Y-20.

I can't say much for the ZBD-03.

They have 17 or so Il-76s but they recently developed their own version called the Y-20.

Thanks JasonJ, that Y-20 aircraft looks quite the business!

No. While there may be some subsystems that are copied (e.g. air drop/landing system), the ZBD-03 is definitely not a copy. For one thing, ZBD-03 is front engine with door in the back, while BMD series is rear engine with hatches at top.

Edited by nemo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are two grabs from a pretty good Norinco promotional video showing both the VT-4 and the VT-5 live-firing on the range. The VT-4 hit the target panel but missed the tank image. The VT-5 did better, hitting pretty much on the turret ring of the tank image painted on the target panel...

The VT-5 is a strange project. It is to heavy to be air mobile and lacks the firepower to engage modern armor. I think a missile/cannon combo would make more sense, even more so if the cannon has some AA capability. The armor is also going to fall into the middle ground where it is more than enough to stop cannon but not enough to stop many dedicated AT weapons.

Edited by KV7

The VT-5 is a strange project. It is too heavy too be air mobile and lacks the firepower to engage modern armor. I think a missile/cannon combo would make more sense, even more so if the cannon has some AA capability. The armor is also going to fall into the middle ground where it is more than enough to stop cannon but not enough to stop many dedicated AT weapons.

It's main purpose seems to be for the export market. So in that case it is probably meant for a certain niche within the AFV market. Maybe it's targeting customers that are mostly still using T-55s and are still too poor to afford anything like a T-90S.

The VT-5 is a strange project. It is too heavy too be air mobile and lacks the firepower to engage modern armor. I think a missile/cannon combo would make more sense, even more so if the cannon has some AA capability. The armor is also going to fall into the middle ground where it is more than enough to stop cannon but not enough to stop many dedicated AT weapons.

It's main purpose seems to be for the export market. So in that case it is probably meant for a certain niche within the AFV market. Maybe it's targeting customers that are mostly still using T-55s and are still too poor to afford anything like a T-90S.

I don't think it will be cheaper than a Type 85-IIA (as exported to Pakistan) or much cheaper than a Type 96 even and they at least have a gun that is a serious threat to any armor with modern ammunition.

Edited by KV7

China developed the light tank VT-5 is based from for it's military requirement -- operating in the rice paddy of the Southern China and mountains of Tibet. Whether it fits the requirement of the potential customers is another matter.