Photography

Stargrunt6

I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority. My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house. If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years. In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer. I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more. The K-1000 is still going strong.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K-1000 like the Minolta X-700 I have is a good no frills camera that allows you to really do your best work.

Originally posted by shootER5:

I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority.  My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house.  If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years.  In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer.  I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more.  The K-1000 is still going strong.

have you try to use the K-1000 lens on the ME/MX? the tumbles probably only damage the lens. what else could cause a manual SLR to produce out of focus pictures?

Originally posted by shootER5:

I need to make the switch to digital at some point, but haven't really made it a priority.  My wife has a Nikon N6006 that's the "point and shoot" camera in the house.  If I'm taking a serious photo, I use the Pentax K-1000 that I've had for nearly twenty years.  In that time I've had a Pentax ME (or MX, I forget which) and a Canon A-1, which I used when I was a newspaper photographer.  I sold the Canon when I got into teevee and the ME/MX took too many tumbles from the TC position onto the turret floor and wouldn't make an in-focus photograph any more.  The K-1000 is still going strong.

Originally posted by whyhow:

have you try to use the K-1000 lens on the ME/MX? the tumbles probably only damage the lens. what else could cause a manual SLR to produce out of focus pictures?

I'm pretty sure that the film plane got out of alignment on the ME/MX because the same lenses still take superb photos with the K-1000.

I used the ME/MX more often when I was in the military because the body was smaller than the K-1000 and fit better in the cargo pocket of my BDUs.

[Edited by shootER5 (04 Sep 2004).]

And old Yashica D. I learned on a camera just like it.

Originally posted by whyhow:

Murph, which TLR do you use? I just got myself an old Ricohflex. I haven't run a roll through it yet but I already like the suprisingly small camera.

Well, I am the proud owner of a Canon 300D Digital Rebel since yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it so far, but I am loving it. It comes with the kit 18-55mm zoom lens, which I hear is OK for the price. After I learn more about the camera and photography in general I'll be in a beter position to determine what type of lens I really need.

Any other Drebel owners? What do you think about it so far?

Regards,

Juan

I find I use the short to medium (85mm to 200mm) telephotos more than the wide angles. My favorite lens is my 28-85mm I do 85% of my work with it on my 35mm.

USed the old 35mm this weekend.

Originally posted by Juan Sosa:

Well, I am the proud owner of a Canon 300D Digital Rebel since yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to play with it so far, but I am loving it. It comes with the kit 18-55mm zoom lens, which I hear is OK for the price. After I learn more about the camera and photography in general I'll be in a beter position to determine what type of lens I really need.

Any other Drebel owners? What do you think about it so far?

Regards,

Juan

>98% of the 300-400 pictures I took in Vietnam I took with this. Bought in the Phu Bai or Camp Eagle PX for maybe $130. Still takes great pics...though it's one of the first to offer aperture priority automatic operation if one wants. Every picture I took there was with a normal lens and no filters whatsoever. I didn't buy lenses for this one, as the hexanon mount was non-standard and you couldn't use aftermarket lenses.

Years later I bought a Minolta for my long lens aviation shots.

Having done chemical for decades, and resisting digital until my wife talked me into an inexpensive Olympus last year, I can say that digital is definitely what's happening and I look forward to getting another one. But this one is like your first sweetheart.....

YES! My first 35mm camera was a Konica T3! Loved that camera till it got stolen on my move back from Germany.

Originally posted by Doug Kibbey:

>98% of the 300-400 pictures I took in Vietnam I took with this. Bought in the Phu Bai or Camp Eagle PX for maybe $130. Still takes great pics...though it's one of the first to offer aperture priority automatic operation if one wants. Every picture I took there was with a normal lens and no filters whatsoever. I didn't buy lenses for this one, as the hexanon mount was non-standard and you couldn't use aftermarket lenses.

Years later I bought a Minolta for my long lens aviation shots.

[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Murph:

Anyone have an opinion on whether its better to stay at 4.0 megapixels or go to 5.0 megapixels?

That's not a quantum leap, resolutionwise, so I'd look at the other factors pertinent to my style of use. Give me a wider range of ISO equivalents, a decently fast shutter, fast bootup time, SLR focusing, and lens choices.

Juan, how's the Drebel working out?

The dRebel is working out great. The kit lens is decent enough, but I already placed an order for some new glass. Bought a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, which from all the reviews sounds like a greap general purpose lens for the price.

Next buy is a tripod so I can take some decent nighttime pictures. There are some great shots to be had of the Miami skyline from a couple spots I’ve scouted out already. I’d also like a circular polarizing filter.

Once I am more comfortable with the camera (BTW I find the switchology very straight forward) I will probably install the firmware hack to it. Once I do I’ll essentially have a 10D on a rebel body. I have yet to read about anyone having trouble with the hack, so I figure it is safe enough.

The only downside to this whole photography deal is that I have yet another interest to spend money in.

Regards,

Juan

The only downside to this whole photography deal is that I have yet another interest to spend money in.

Just keep telling yourself that you're saving a fortune on film processing.

I'm using a Nikon FM2 with fixed optics. Nice camera, stopped using my automatic Minolta almost as soon as I bought this one. Now I'm looking to change to a F90X, F100 or a D70/D100, but there's the thing about money...

/Rickard

Did some photography with my Minolta X-700 a couple of weeks ago, and discovered I am very rusty. Need to get back into the swing of things. I want that Kodak 5.0 megapixel digital.

Yeah the Kodak 5.0 camera has a 10x optical lens. I can use that more than the 3x on my current 4.0 mp digital.

Originally posted by Ivanhoe:

That's not a quantum leap, resolutionwise, so I'd look at the other factors pertinent to my style of use. Give me a wider range of ISO equivalents, a decently fast shutter, fast bootup time, SLR focusing, and lens choices.

Juan, how's the Drebel working out?

The dRebel is working out great. The kit lens is decent enough, but I already placed an order for some new glass. Bought a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, which from all the reviews sounds like a greap general purpose lens for the price.

I'm enjoying my Canon Digital Rebel as well. And I'm noticing a lot of them about. Took my first shots at a ship launching at Mystic Seaport, which is at the end of my street, and the person on either side of me had one! I bought the 28-200mm lens and have gotten great use out of it. The big drawback is that it lacks image stabilization (a rotating glass lens that acts as a gyroscope to remove the minute vibrations from your hand) so you need to use a high shutter speed to ensure a sharp focus.

A 6.3 megapixel digital SLR plus a good zoom lens let me take this photo, among many others, at the New England Airshow just last month:

BTT in order to post links to my photo album.

Here are a few pics I did. My rig is a Canon T70, and I used 200 speed Kodak High Definition film in Auto Exposure mode with light metering:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wargoat6/alb...goat6/my_photos

I'm happy with these. Great balance and resolution, no editing needed.

And here are rugby pics, taken with 400 speed Fuji Film. Shutter speed was at 1/1000 sec in Shutter priority mode (IOW, I dunno the f stop):

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wargoat6/album?.dir=953f

Did some editing on all photos. Poor quality on a lot of them, either due to bad scans or the fact that some of them were taken from afar and I lost quality on zooming in.

How's that for a rookie?

Peace,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gee, you don't want to provide us lazy types with even a link, huh?

Sometimes I feel like a gotta do everything....

Kodak EasyShare DX7590 5MP Digital Camera

Hmmm, I like the 10x optical zoom. Looks like a nice camera. Any immediate plans? You'll have to post some of your photos on Imageshack so we can see how it performs.

Just be careful with the 512MB card-- I went to an airshow with Jeff and ended up taking 243 photos before I knew it! :blink:

Westover AFB, Massachusetts, August 14, 2004