Photography

Stargrunt6

I've dusted off my dad's old Canon T-70 SLR, found a manual for it online, and have taken up a new reason to spend a lot of money.

This camera is superb. I will have to scan photos and show you all some of my stuff.

I want to do sports photography, especially with rugby and football (gridiron, that is) season starting up.

Any other photo buffs here?

Peace,

MCab

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35mm Minolta X-700 w/ many lenses. My favorite is the 28-85mm which handles 90% of my photo needs

2 1/2 TLR- Great camera, no light meter, twin lens, very basic, learned my photography on this type of camera. 6x6 cm negatives.

4x5 View Camera w/ 210mm Schneider lens in Copal shutter.- you know film holders, a focusing cloth to cover your head, no light meter, manual shutter. Photography at its finest. The big 4x5 inch negative is awe inspiring. 4x5 Slides must be seen to be appreciated.

Kodak 4.0 megapixel digital- a nice toy.

Black and White 85% of the time, either Agfapan 25, or Kodak Tech Pan (ASA/ISO 25) with some ISO 100 speed Kodak or Agfa film. I like Agfa films and photo papers very much.

Get an old camera like a TLR (Shutterbug has them for sale in the back), and learn on it with no light meter, just guesstimates, you learn well. Also get some books on the "Zone" system as developed and perfected by Ansel Adams. They are invaluable tools.

Murph, who's first hobby was, and most favorite still is photography.

edited for spelling

[Edited by Murph (30 Aug 2004).]

Currently shoot with a Nikon D100 (6 megapixel 35mm digital SLR) ... traded up my 35mm film camera a while back because I just wasn't using it as much anymore. I also shoot 6x6 MF with the Hasselblad and salivate about someday getting into large format 4x5 stuff a la Murph.

My thing is nature photography, specifically landscapes. Too lazy to get up at oh dark 30 to catch Yogi Bear on the job.

I have an old T-70 sitting in my closet, haven't used it for years. Exposures started going screwy on me, the internal lightmeter is probably shot. The T-70 had a reputation for randomly exploding, the rumor I heard was that if you sent one in for factory service Canon wouldn't give it back to you.

I've gone digital, Nikon Coolpix 900, and starting to look at the kilobuck prosumer digital SLRs with Old Testament levels of coveting.

If you are taking "sports" pictures, a lot depends on when they are being taken and where. If I were outdoors, and it wasn't too bright, I would go for a 400ASA. You need the speed to catch the action in a "freeze" position. Also buy yourself a monopod, it keeps the camera still. The problem with "fast" films is they tend to be a bit grainy. You can also "push" the film, shoot 200ASA at 400ASA and when you give instructions to the developer on what you are doing.

There are literally dozens of books on how to do sports photography, read them and see what the "pros" are doing. When you go out, take a little notebook, and write down what you are doing, (speed, asa, f-stop and so on) and then see what works for you and the camera.

I use my decades old Canon AE-1 and A-1 and they still do great, but like guns, there are always reasons to buy a new camera, lenses or filters.

I've been enjoying my Canon Eos Digital Rebel, a 6 megapixel SLR. Just got a 28-200mm telephoto lens and took some photos at an airshow recently with very satisfactory results. I've still got a lot to learn about this camera and photography in general but one of things I really appreciate is the ability to change the ISO setting for each shot on the fly, from an ISO of 100 all the way up to 1600 (although at that setting things get quite noisy).

I've owned a Canon AE-1 for about 20 years now. Sweet camera, just two lenses; and for the most part I do just fine with the 70-210 zoom lens.

Thought about going digital, decided that I could do about as well for less cost by taking my shots to Wal-Mart, having them put on disc, then using a photo-manip utility as necessary. Not bad-mouthing digital cameras, eventually I'll be forced to buy one when technological capacity overtakes expediency/cost-efficiency.

Shot

I am lusting after a Kodak DCS Pro 14/n with the Nikon mount at 14 megapixel beauty of a camera. Life would be complete. I also do landscape as a primary focus of my photography. My idols are:

Ansel Adams

Paul Caponigro

Edward Weston

Elliot Porter

John Sexton

Wonderful artists. F/64 and shoot! I always go for the highest depth of field I can get. My view camera lens does f/64 and thats what I use.

A Buddy in Seminary just got his 8x10 view camera, having traded his 5x7 for it. He kept his 5x7 reducing back, and I am looking forward to his 8x10 negatives and slides!

[Edited by Murph (31 Aug 2004).]

I have an old Canon AE-1 Program that I bought used years ago. The best money I ever spent! I have a few lenses, but the one I use 99% is 28-70mm. I keep meaning to buy a digital camera for my "utility" pictures, but when it comes to taking pictures that matter to me, the old AE-1, bag of lenses and tripod always come with me. Sure it's more challenging, specially in low light conditions, but that's where the talent comes in (which I still need to acquire). Where is the fun in letting a chip do all the thinking??

My specialty is underwater photography. I use a pair of Nikon 8008 bodies in an Aquatica housing.

Now I'm also using a Nikon 4300 digital. It's a nice little camera. Belive it or not, 4x6" photos from the digital look better than film. I use a local minilab with a Fuji Frontier printer.

Next step will be a DSLR- someday. For regular photography I can't wait. But underwater is a different issue. The cost for a new housing, ports and digital-compatible strobes is astronomical.

I'm a bit of an amateur photographer. It's a lot of fun, and I've been meaning to take a class sometime, but haven't gotten around to it. I just use a 2 megapixel Fuji. Here's some stuff I've taken:

Torres del Paine, Chile

Puerto Chacabuco,Chile

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida

Edit: ImageShack has these zoomed WAY in. Annoying.

<font size=1>[Edited by Grant Whitley (31 Aug 2004).]

[Edited by Grant Whitley (31 Aug 2004).]

Love one, can't even come close to the meeting the price for it. The 5.0 Megapixel 7590 is the best I can do.

Originally posted by DesertEagle:

Murph, wait a couple of months. Nikon is said to be coming out with a 15MP camera tht will have less noise. The Kodak is actually built on a Sigma body.

As I have posted before, I use a Canon 35mm EOS Rebel 2000 with a 28-80mm zoom lens. I am a dabbler that loves taking pictures, but doesn't know the first thing about it. I figure that, if I take enough photos, some will turn out. I have posted a number of photos that I have taken, you can see some here. I'd eventually like to learn what all those buttons and controls do, which is why I selected this particular camera--it, like many of the newer SLRs, has the ability to operate anywhere between "point and shoot" and full manual control. Also, lens availability is good, and there are plenty of inexpensive accessories out there. At the top of my list of desired add-ons are a 75-300mm zoom lens and external flash unit (the built in one doesn't have quite enough power for taking pictures in the USAF museum hangars, I recently discovered). I am also looking at getting one of the digital Rebels as it would have the same controls and accept the same lenses as the film camera.

I generally use Kodak processing to get them turned into digital photos and have been very pleased with the resolution of the resultant images. I was less than impressed with Wal-Mart's ability to digitize the pictures. I prefer the film format as I simply like having the actual pictures on good-quality paper. I don't currently own a computer, so that obviously makes digital photos difficult to view while I am not at work, and it is much easier to whip out a photo album than boot up a computer. Obviously, the purchase of good paper and a photo quality printer would provide the same benefits, but hey, that requires effort.

At the rate I take pictures though, I ought to look into getting one of those automatic film processing machines like they use at the 1-hour shops (I know, I should learn to develop the film manually, but that also requires work): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3837073035&rd=1

One of these would work for putzing around with existing negatives: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3837338636&rd=1

So many moneysinks, so little money... And time... And willpower...

Douglas

Could be, but again $$$ is my main issue at this point. Plus I have a great tripod I use for my 4x5.

Originally posted by whyhow:

hi Murph,

I think that 10x optical zoom is going to be difficult to hand hold without optical stablization. have you looked at similiar Olympus and Canon models with OS?

until the price of digital SLR with full frame CCD/CMOS chip come down. budget minded amatures could have much more fun with older manual gears that are been unloaded on ebay these days.

many MF gears could be brought for a song these days because the pros are switching to digital.

and let's not forget the Russian rangefinders in classic Contax and Leica Thread Mount. a Kiev 4 (copy of classic Contax) goes for around $40 on ebay, and additional lens for around the same price. the optic quality of those classic lens can still rival the best high priced modern lens, and the fun/price ratio is unmatched.

I had heard that the Russian stuff was a pretty good deal, I just haven't checked them out yet. I'd like to get a Russian camera in medium format, since I am getting away from 35mm and going to larger negatives. I'd love a good 6x7 cm camera, if I could find one cheap.

until the price of digital SLR with full frame CCD/CMOS chip come down. budget minded amatures could have much more fun with older manual gears that are been unloaded on ebay these days.

many MF gears could be brought for a song these days because the pros are switching to digital.

and let's not forget the Russian rangefinders in classic Contax and Leica Thread Mount. a Kiev 4 (copy of classic Contax) goes for around $40 on ebay, and additional lens for around the same price. the optic quality of those classic lens can still rival the best high priced modern lens, and the fun/price ratio is unmatched.

don't know any russian 6x7 camera. i wouldn't bother with the toy like Lubital 6x6 TLR. there are several good Russian 6x6 SLRs which are copies of older Pentacon or Hassabald. or you could go for the 6x9 folders; you get huge negatives in a portable package.

do you do your own darkroom work? what are you experience with mail order labs?

Originally posted by Murph:

I had heard that the Russian stuff was a pretty good deal, I just haven't checked them out yet.  I'd like to get a Russian camera in medium format, since I am getting away from 35mm and going to larger negatives.  I'd love a good 6x7 cm camera, if I could find one cheap.

I used to do all my own darkroom work, never used a mail order lab. There was a place in San Antonio called River City Silver that did custom developing and printing, and was excellent if expensive. I don't know if it is still there since I haven't been over there in about three years.

I would like one of those 6x6 SLRs, but how are the optics? I am somewhat of a lens snob, preferring German optics, if I can get them over Japanese.

don't know any russian 6x7 camera. i wouldn't bother with the toy like Lubital 6x6 TLR. there are several good Russian 6x6 SLRs which are copies of older Pentacon or Hassabald. or you could go for the 6x9 folders; you get huge negatives in a portable package.

do you do your own darkroom work? what are you experience with mail order labs?

Originally posted by Murph:

I would like one of those 6x6 SLRs, but how are the optics?  I am somewhat of a lens snob, preferring German optics, if I can get them over Japanese.

I haven't used one of those 6x6 SLR myself. I'm still happy with what I get from 35mm. But from what I've read Russian optics are nothing to complain about. I use a Jupiter 8(a Sonnar copy) on my Kiev rangefinder, and I'm very happy with the results. Their lenses are usually based on German designs. What you do have worry about is the mechanical reliability of the cameras, due to spotty quality control. You said you like to use small apertures anyway, so I doubt you'll notice any difference between Russian and German lens (or Japanese for that matter), beside fit and finish of course.

Kiev 60 cost about $100 on ebay, but many of those might have mechanical problems. Kiev 88 is a copy of an old Hasselbald with focal plane shutter. KievUSA sells them for about $400 IRC with warranty. A good source I've heard several good reviews about is http://www.arax-photo.com , they take stock Kievs, calibrate and upgrade them to a higher standard.

[Edited by whyhow (02 Sep 2004).]

Great! THanks.

I haven't used one of those 6x6 SLR myself. I'm still happy with what I get from 35mm. But from what I've read Russian optics are nothing to complain about. I use a Jupiter 8(a Sonnar copy) on my Kiev rangefinder, and I'm very happy with the results. Their lenses are usually based on German designs. What you do have worry about is the mechanical reliability of the cameras, due to spotty quality control. You said you like to use small apertures anyway, so I doubt you'll notice any difference between Russian and German lens (or Japanese for that matter), beside fit and finish of course.

Kiev 60 cost about $100 on ebay, but many of those might have mechanical problems. Kiev 88 is a copy of an old Hasselbald with focal plane shutter. KievUSA sells them for about $400 IRC with warranty. A good source I've heard several good reviews about is http://www.arax-photo.com  , they take stock Kievs, calibrate and upgrade them to a higher standard.

<font size=1>[Edited by whyhow (02 Sep 2004).]

I have a Sony 5.0 with a 3X zoom right now. It is good for up close pictures and regular point a shoot stuff, but I really want to learn real photography. I've been eyeing the Canon Digital Rebel for a few months now, and was thinking of buying it this weekend. I guess now I'll have to wait untill things settle down after the storm.

I played around with a Digital Rebel at Circuit City a couple of months ago, and didn't like the switchology much. I was expecting better, partly because all of the Canon SLRs from the 1980s (T-50, T-70, T-90, AE-1 etc) had excellent switchology. One of my main gripes with the CoolPix 900 is Nikon's completely nonintuitive button system, when I replace it I want better controls as well as SLR optics and next-gen imaging.