VIDEO: Active US Army TC (and a Sergeant at that) on M1s in Ukraine

shep854

Great find Shep.

What the TC says about future combat as seen in Ukraine involving single tanks rather than groups of company or battalion strength was very interesting.

Posted (edited)

A TC who would actually be going forward and facing the threat is someone to listen to.

Some sort of overwatch vehicle with anti-drone capability--a Brad variant?--could also be helpful.

Edited by shep854

Isn't the US fielding, as a tempory solution ,some sort of Striker with a air-burst anti-drone 30mm cannon?

He's on a Discord server I frequent (not a tank-related one, I should add). We have generally agreed to disagree on a few things, though he also observes he might have been a bit harsh on the concept of 'doctrine'. I also wonder if the direct attack (particularly FPV) drone problem is overstated. Training an FPV drone pilot actually takes quite a few months, there aren't many of them, and though they do make excellent and compelling video footage, I wonder if it isn't being disproportionately shown. The concern about drones used for observation is valid, though even at that, the Army's not entirely sitting around on its arse not trying to address the threat. If there is an excess threat caused by drones, I expect it'll be a short-term issue.

1 hour ago, Manic Moran said:

He's on a Discord server I frequent (not a tank-related one, I should add). We have generally agreed to disagree on a few things, though he also observes he might have been a bit harsh on the concept of 'doctrine'. I also wonder if the direct attack (particularly FPV) drone problem is overstated. Training an FPV drone pilot actually takes quite a few months, there aren't many of them, and though they do make excellent and compelling video footage, I wonder if it isn't being disproportionately shown. The concern about drones used for observation is valid, though even at that, the Army's not entirely sitting around on its arse not trying to address the threat. If there is an excess threat caused by drones, I expect it'll be a short-term issue.

Perun’s (the Youtuber) latest video goes into some depth about the evolution of small combat drones and discusses the training and effectiveness issues involved.