USMC awards ARV contracts

Dawes

Drones are subject to weather and bandwidth limitations, and aren't great at counter-recon. They have their place, but in the immortal words of General Robert Braden when told "You don't need scouts. You have radar, air recon, satellites..." "You always need a scout".

6 hours ago, Manic Moran said:

Drones are subject to weather and bandwidth limitations, and aren't great at counter-recon. They have their place, but in the immortal words of General Robert Braden when told "You don't need scouts. You have radar, air recon, satellites..." "You always need a scout".

Drones won't find mines or see if a culvert is full of explosives.  I doubt they'd be able to tell if a bridge is in good condition and will take a tank squadron rolling over it or if it's about to fall down or be booby-trapped.  They won't tell you if that heat source in a building is an ATGM section or a family of civvies.

Edited by R011

Quality of ground (is it nice firm ground or water lodged quagmire) which has shown to be extremely important in Ukraine, etc, etc.

I think they could be complementary. From it's vantage point, a drone might be able to spot the ambush your ARV is going to encounter on the opposite side of that hill.

Also, I recently saw a video of Ukraine vets describing how they could hear drones.  Often you want to observe undisturbed game...OR, use the noise to stir them up a bit to see what they do.

22 hours ago, Dawes said:

Regarding the overall reconnaissance mission, couldn't much of that be done by drones nowadays?

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/us-marine-corps-awards-contracts-for-30-mm-recce-vehicle-prototype

Being a large platform it has the luxury of housing 'large' communication systems, a power bank, onboard computational power (cloud computation), and various less attritable assets. 

Such ARV must be able to conduct basic recce independently, but I find it hard to believe it won't very quickly evolve to a control and deployment hub for smaller drones for distributed recon and effects.