Ok, fine, best home defense firearm

Angrybk

The best is what you can get and what will be effective. 

Remington 870 with a light and #4 or larger shot is a good weapon. Get cylinder bore if you can. 18.5" bbl. Have extra ammo nearby.

I have a Mossberg 590 with a speed feed stock, heat shield, a flashlight on the foreend and #4 up the tube and 2 3/4" slugs in the stock. 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. There's a sling on it with ammo on the sling more slugs and some 00 buck. Makes a good go and deal with problems gun. Add a belt with a handgun holster, a pouch with more shot/slugs and a bayonet and you're good. 

Shotguns are fine, Beretta 1301 is leading edge premium at this time.  870 or 590 is perfectly acceptable.  I use a 10 inch 300 BLK, but I have always preferred rifles to shotguns.  S/F...Ken M

I have nowhere near the knowledge and experience of 99% of the members of this Grate Site regarding this subject. Having said that I have used my home personal defense weapon twice. I have an old Ruger .357 double action revolver and have used on pitbulls on two separate occasions . One shot to the head a close range each time with a F.M.J. round. 

Since you specify California, the local regulatory scheme may suggest the Cassius Clay method.  The Home Defense Cannon.

Pocket models for your nightstand to fight your way to your primary weapon:

https://legacycannon.com/ 50cal

https://www.mclennancannoncompany.com/shop  50cal, Golf ball, billiard ball options.  There's also the bowling ball mortar for when your assailants are hiding behind a bush, wall, or moderately sized hill.

Fullsize models for general use and to take on the road (well, behind your buckboard, at least):

https://empirecannons.com/shop/ols/products/full-scale-field-cannon 1.75-inch, 2-1/4-inch, & 3.3-inch bores (may not meet the "rule" that the caliber needs to begin with "4")  Naval models available for fishing and repelling boarders.  Just don't lose it in a tragic boating accident.

https://hernironworks.com/product/mountain-howitzer-full-scale-2-14-bore/  Lightweight model if you are a hiker.  Pack mule not included.

Being blackpowder, you don't need to worry about concealment after the first shot.  And, in the unlikely event you miss that close range shot, the miscreants will be easy to identify--"That's right, Officer, the attacker's hair is burned off, he's covered in soot, his clothes are smoldering, and he smells like sulphur."

:D

Doug

It would seem like 870/590 have the advantage of being less "aggressive"-looking to a jury. What I don't get are the pepper ball guns like byrna, it seems really dangerous to fire a gun-looking object at a home invader and it not being gun-level lethality. 

870 with #4 shot for inside.  A good quality .357/.38 revolver as a backup.  Federal 125gr JHP .357 rounds are what DPS and a lot of others carried.  FBI used the 158 gr Lead Semi-wadcutter hollowpoints +P, which have the advantage of light recoil, and decent performance.  

The most effective self-defense weapon is a U-Haul truck. Move somewhere safer.

2nd most effective self-defense weapon is the 3-S Rule. Avoid stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people.

3rd most effective self-defense weapon is avoidance of anyone in the drug trade. One of my sisters dated a coke dealer for while in the 1980s. Really nice guy, but he had to take PERSEC more seriously than a Mafia hitman.

California-specific, shotties are OK though not perfect for inside-the-house social work. Revolvers with the right ammo can be both effective and jury-friendly. I'd seriously consider a used steel-frame wheelgun, or two as there's nothing like a New York Reload. And with modern ammo, .38 Spl +P is quite good these days, and more jury-friendly than .357 Mag. Of course, if you really want to flatten criminals with class, a .44 Spl revolver makes quite an impression both literally and figuratively. To clarify, I mean using a classy weapon to flatten criminals, not using a weapon to flatten classy criminals.

Heres the legal to buy in Cali list of handguns. Part of the issue you may find is that its very sku specific. The same model gun with a nickel plated slide could be not on the list and the all blued one is. 

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

For .357, a good carbine match would be a .357 magnum lever gun. You can get them with pic rails and the like if you want to doll them up with lights and better low or zero power optics. 

.357 out of a 17” Barrel would be quite energetic. 

and for practice and plinking, .38 special can be used in most .357s. For carbines you can also find them able to also run .357 maximum for even more energy. 

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-357-magnum-lever-action-rifles/

Edited by rmgill

On 1/13/2024 at 11:00 AM, Ol Paint said:

Being blackpowder, you don't need to worry about concealment after the first shot.  And, in the unlikely event you miss that close range shot, the miscreants will be easy to identify--"That's right, Officer, the attacker's hair is burned off, he's covered in soot, his clothes are smoldering, and he smells like sulphur."

You're not considering all your options.  Canister rounds are available down to 2.125" bore":  42 pistol balls in each round.  You can put two down the bore for extra effect.  You WON'T miss, trust me (see the avatar).

A bit loud to be firing in doors. 

And this is tank net, why are you endorsing cannon cocker rounds when you should be advising on 152mm APERS-T? Sport…

WHAT?!?  STOP WHISPERING!

We all know that gun + wheels = Tank.   https://militaryembedded.com/unmanned/isr/new-stryker-tank-variant-to-be-unveiled-at-ausa-2019

Therefore, Tank!

Naval_cannon.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=137a9423

Just kno yur breach from yur mussel, sport!  Now, about the wareplate bolts...

Doug

Although a cannon is good at repelling intruders it might make you unpopular with what's left of your neighbors.

If you are getting a home defence firearm it should be one you are comfortable using.

You will be far more effective with a .22 pistol you can use and shoot accurately than with a .44 magnum you aren't comfortable shooting and have no real range time with.

Several people I know use 9mm PCC's for their less able family members.  A Ruger PCC or Henry Homesteader with Glock mags, even if you don't do the 33rd happy sticks is basically an acceptable performance, 22LR recoil level subgun.  Shotguns are the tools of both tails of the bell curve.  They're popular with the toothless, multiple pitbull owning, trailer dwelling subhuman as well as the weekly training, family react plan rehearsing, former CAG guy.  I find shotguns are nice for breaching doors, and other esoteric uses, but I'm not interested in that shit anymore.  S/F....Ken M     

The Ruger PCC is a handy gun. I set one up for the wife with the Glock magazine adaptor, bought several Glock mags and a zero power red dot for fast acquisition. Oh a small light on the fore end. Since its a take down gun it stows in a backpack if you need to do an admin movement and not be in obvious. 

Oh and the charging handle can be configured for left or right access which is nice for keeping the dominant hand on the stock during manipulations.